About This File
TO: LUCT is no doubt one of the classics of turn based tactical games, it can boast complex storyline with a memorable cast of characters and multiple endings, as well as a deep combat system with a vast arsenal of equipment, items and spells. Its PSP port can also serve as an example of how such things should be done, with the game getting not only a much needed facelift but also a thorough redesign of most combat elements.
Sadly, the game isn’t without faults, as some of the new features make it extremely prone to exploits which an experienced player can use to fully remove any challenge from the game. The main goal of this mod is to render such exploits more difficult, bringing weapons, classes and skills closer to the level they should perform at, as well as to each other. Its secondary goal is to provide tweaks to immersion, visuals and some of the more cumbersome game systems like crafting and endless skill farming.
This is still a work in progress so all feedback is welcome.
For installation instructions and more info check the included Readme file.
- Weapon, armor and consumable item rework. Equipment is more likely to do what you expect of it, 2H weapons will do a lot of damage and a tank in heavy armor will be hard to kill.
- Additional items, spells and skills, as well as changes to the existing ones with a focus on improving the more unappealing choices.
- Skills that grant stat bonuses, like Strengthen or Spellcraft, as well as static choices like Switfoot or Spell Ward were removed and compensated with higher stat differences between classes than in vanilla game.
- A full Finishing move rebalance.
- Most ways of gaining permanent stats were removed to reduce power creep in late game and increase options during early game.
- The power of special characters was reduced across the board, they're about on par with each other now and not overwhelmingly stronger than generics.
- Generic characters have more diverse templates that split into fighter, rogue, mage and generalist archetypes, their stats can differ a lot depending on which one you hire.
- Significantly increased the levelling speed of slow skills, like Steal or Parry.
- Most classes were tweaked, with emphasis on nerfing the strong ones and buffing the weak, many gained new tricks.
- Monsters don't scale natural armor as high as before. With the changes to skills, their new role is high HP bullet sponges that take a lot of damage and use the TP gained to spam special moves.
- Many items are easier to acquire, reducing the endgame tedium.
- Visual changes to some items, special characters, skills and spells.
- Streamlined crafting.
Consolidated changelist available in feedback thread.
What's New in Version 0.963c See changelog
Patch notes v0.963c
- Alluring Dress and Highboots will now drop from Ozma in CODA (instead of Aegir whip). Sirene was apparently liking them way too much so they weren't dropping (the real reason was she doesn't actually get killed there so she can’t drop anything)
- Aegir whip now drops from a human Amazon that uses whips in Palace of the Dead, floor 97
- Megiddo 2h sword now drops from a human Warrior that uses 2H swords in Palace of the Dead, floor 57
- Lanselot, Warren and Iuria will have updated skill setups when recruited
- Reduced the amount of caster stats on mage armor
- There were no high level 1h katana in reinforced blades sidegrade template so Bakasura switched templates with Ravana
- Added a high level earth 1h katana in sidegrade template, it drops from a gremlin Incubus that uses 1h katana in Palace of the Dead, floor 87
- Added Bravery Arcana, it can be bought in regular shops
- Regenerate Arcana renamed to Resolve Arcana
- Raised the caster stats for all classes to compensate for the reduction of caster stats on mage armor, pure casters should feel about the same, and it should improve the usability of hybrid casters that usually wear regular armor
- The base offense of some dominantly ranged classes was increased
- Knight can cast Exorcism
- White Knight can cast Exorcism
- Songstress lost access to Instills and gained access to Resonances
- Paragon can cast Bravery and Starion, she lost access to Burst spells, and Aegis skill. She can also use only offensive war dances now
Spells and Abilites
- Regenerate now also grants Resilient, it was renamed to Resolve
- Added a new spell Bravery, it grants Fortify and charges some TP to the target. It is available to classes that could use Regenerate
- Shellbust couldn’t be fixed so the debuffs are reliably cleared every time. Instead, it now inflicts Light Averse in addition to breach and doesn’t knock the target back anymore
- TP cost of Bane skills was lowered to 40
- Moved the level 14 gear availability to the start of chapter 3
- Charm of Remission can be bought at Deneb’s and PotD shops again
- The 'Element-touched' buffs were renamed to 'Element-bringer' to indicate they don't stack with Status-bringer effects
- Warlock's Instill skills were renamed to Distill as it probably makes a bit more sense. With their alchemical expertise, a warlock would probably be fairly adept at making moonshine
Patch notes v0.963b
- Alluring Dress and Highboots will now drop from Sirene in CODA, Gousin wasn't able to drop them in several previous patches because of a loot table mishap
- Mount Hedon and Hagia battles had their level lowered to 17, that way you can complete the first part of chapter 4 in one go and then do some sidequests or clear Phorampa to hit level 19 and continue the story battles
- The skeleton lich in Phorampa – Feral Shore wasn’t spawning properly so he was replaced with twin necromancers that will always spawn and look like a wizard and sorceress, each of them is guaranteed to drop a Phylactery when killed
- Balmung is now the basic variant of 1h sword instead of a bastard sword
- Added a unique wind elemental 2H sword for Volaq, it will drop in CODA final battle
- Glamrock axe was changed to dark element to match Oz
- Stardust axe isn’t crafted from Glamrock anymore, it drops from an orc Berserker that uses axes in Palace of the Dead, floor 69
- Added a new 2H fire axe to replace Glamrock, it drops from a Flarebrass in Palace of the Dead, floor 27 (instead of Phoenix Flamecoat)
- Volcaetus spear was reverted to fire element to match Balxephon
- Ignis spear isn’t crafted from Volcaetus anymore, it has been renamed and is now earth elemental. It drops from the earth temple boss Nathalork in the random battle version of the encounter (instead of Nathalork Mail)
- Bows are now a bit weaker, that should make crossbows slightly more tempting
- 2h ranged weapons have less of an attack advantage over 1h
- 1h bows have 1 extra range
- 1h crossbows have 1 extra range
- Light shields have a bit more defense
- Shields do more damage to obstacles
- Elemental augments now level at the same rate as weapon skills
- Deflect levels faster
- Squishier classes that are supposed to be used in melee have a bit more defense, like Berserker or Rogue
- Some of the classes with lower offense will do more damage, like Spellblade or Warlock
- Swordmaster is also able to learn Squash, as hawkmen have no access to Warrior
- Wicce can learn Crystal Pumpkin
- Monster stats were further adjusted to get more consistent scaling, they should be more manageable at early/mid game now
Spells and Abilites
- Ease lost 1 range to match other status removals, but will now fully clear all status effects instead of just one
- When used on undead, Heal will always hit
- Dark damage spells lost their slight damage advantage on living
- Dark status spells are a bit less restricted when used on undead
- Agony draconic will always hit
- Windshot will do more damage
- Paragon’s sword skills now do light damage so they can be scaled with light augment
- Adjusted the item availability to fill the gap in chapter 3 where you fight level 14 enemies but can’t buy level 14 gear yet
Patch notes v0.963a
- Added Enchiridions to the random battle version of Six Temple sanctums, that way you don’t have to wait for the high level version of story battle to get them if you already did the low level story battle on your save file
- The version of Pirate’s Graveyard – On Holy Ground when you have Azelstan in your party was dropping Aganista Lightcoat instead of Jyigla’s Darkcoat. All those that spent hours farming that battle in vain since 2011 because the guides said it will drop, we salute you
- When crafting endgame elemental weapons, you will be able to tell in advance which ones are in sidegrade template. Those weapons will require the Alterite ingredient
- Boulder Toss lost 1 range
- Removed the Rubber ingredient, it was being used only in several recipes
- Added the Alterite ingredient, it can be crafted with codex of ores
- Some of the monster ATK value was transferred to their natural attack instead of class ATK, that way their melee attack will be as strong as before but boulders will be somewhat weaker
Spells and Abilites
- Winter Siege will not advance the RT counter anymore, it affects multiple targets instead
- Innervate will properly remove Petrify
- Berserk costs 30 TP now, 20 was a bit too low so we’ll go for the middle ground
Patch notes v0.963
- Finished reworknig the main campaign battles from Barnicia castle up to the last boss, next in line are the random battles on map, Phorampa and Pirate’s Graveyard
- The levels of these battles have been raised, so Hanging Gardens will start at level 24 and go to 25 half the way up
- Because of that, player has been given easier access to first tier of endgame recipes that have gear of that level, all of them will drop in the chapter 4 section of Phorampa and first five levels of Pirate’s Graveyard, those enemies will always spawn and the recipes will always drop so one run will be enough to collect them all. Those battles aren’t fully reworked yet, though, it’s just those drops
- Because of the above, enchiridion recipes have been relocated to the six temples (full list below)
- Temple knights in hanging gardens will drop some consumables here and there, in case you left underprepared
- Brantyn is significantly reworked as a boss, his class is a lot sturdier and he has access to some skills no holy man would be proud of, he also has some Sybil’s and Heretic’s marks you can steal from him and will also drop something nice when killed as a nod to his battle on SNES
- Some of the more notable bosses in ch4 have some fairly pricy delectables that can be stolen from them, but they will require rank 2 Steal, those bosses include Lans Tartare, Brantyn, Rackham, and Barbas/Martym in their last battle
- One of the liches on the fifth floor of Pirate’s graveyard during Azelstan’s questline will drop something interesting
- There is now a skeleton Lich you can find in Phorampa – Feral Shore, he will always drop a Phylactery when exorcised
- Brynhildr now inflicts Silence on hit instead of Stagger
- Ogre Blade has 2 uses of Agony instead of Bodysnatch
- Battle staves now have a moderate MND bonus instead of RES, which makes them a slightly better choice for hybrid classes as sidegrading a staff won’t remove all of its caster potential. Pure fighter classes will still get some spell resistance from MND
- Thrown boulders won’t scale as well now, they were probably a bit too good
- Gloves will now have an ATK bonus, they’re pretty much a hole in your defense so they might as well give you more offense
- Added Stalker’s Mark, it can be crafted with Ars Magna for now but it will be added elsewhere as a drop eventually
- Added Glaciology Primer, also crafted with Ars Magna for now
- Removed Ameliorate Arcana and Decurse Arcana
- Added Phylactery, a gem that can transfer the user’s soul into another body. A skeleton lich you can now find in Phorampa Wildwood – Feral Shore will always drop one when exorcised, it will likely drop from other enemies too until those battles are properly updated
- Musical Instruments II recipe book was renamed to Instrument Enchiridion
- Codex of Jewelry III and Codex of Jewelry IV were condensed into Jewerly Enchiridion
- Feral Remedy was moved to another slot so you will have to learn it again
- Steadfast, Siege, Tactician and Treasure Hunt are available a bit earlier
- Siege will now grant the ability to use Strengthen on self, Steadfast got Fortify instead
- Spellblade can learn Siege, they can also learn 1H Katana skills, and transfer Hammers from other classes instead, they are now able to equip 1H Hammers, as their sidegrade is useful for hybrid classes
- Beast Tamer lost the Catnip skill and has gained Beastheart and Dragonheart instead
- Warden can learn the Hammers skill and equip all hammers
- The damage and armor scaling of monsters was adjusted to follow the human gear curve more closer, which should result in less difference in their performance at very high levels
- Cyclops can learn RampartAura1
- Princess can learn the Hammers skill and equip 1H Hammers
- Commando got Course Correction instead of Sharpshoot
- Added Headhunter as a unique class for Ganpp, able to equip light shields, light armor, light/heavy accessories and is able to use all the weapons a Beast Tamer can, with the addition of 2H Bows, 2H Crossbows and Fusils. The class also has a similar access to skills as the Beast Master, with the addition of RampartAura1, Counterhit3, DoubleAttack and FieldAlchemy2. Headhunter can learn Momentum, while also being able to transfer EmpowerBeast, Beastslayer, WildHunt, Sharpshoot, TremendousShot, Mightystrike and Squash from other classes. This is Ganpp’s class during his stint as a bandit boss after the fall of Galgastan, it has significantly more presence on the battlefield but it’s lighter on monster support.
Spells and Abilites
- The Bound status generally doesn’t last as long, it was probably a bit much
- Summons will do more damage per hit, however, both versions will now do 1-3 hits. It was done to make the damage more consistent and reduce the chance of a lucky instant kill. As they aren’t very good for multiple targets anyway, they will now target a single tile so the situation where you can’t hit a specific unit because there are others around it won’t happen anymore, their range was extended by 1 to compensate
- Ameliorate and Decurse were removed from the game, there was no need of so many status removal spells, therefore…
- Innervate will also remove PETRIFY
- Hearten will also remove CURSE and WITHER
- Life Force necromancy will now target only living units
- Ninjutsu summons II will also target a single tile, like the first tier
- Geomancy spells do more damage and will also do more damage to obstacles
- Added the Snow Blind geomancy, it deals CRUSHING damage and can inflict STOP, it can be used on snow or ice tiles
- Slayer skills now cost 30TP, if the specialist unit is in a situation to use them, it should generally be able to
- Bane skills now cost 50TP
- Berserk now costs 20TP, it can be hard and risky to position yourself well enough to use it, so the reward should probably be greater and the skill should now earn significantly more TP back than it was spent, in most cases
- Conviction will now drain the target’s MP instead of converting the damage done, this will result in more MP gotten from tanky casters like knights or spellblades but it should also make it harder to spam Arbiter by convicting the same unit over and over
- Acid Breath and Hydro Press will now inflict Slow
- Sand Breath and Fault Line will delay the target more
- Flame Breath and Crimson Note will remove more TP from the target
- Frost Breath and Total Whiteout will now inflict Bind
- Blue Spiral got 2 extra range
- Cyclops skills will now have a fixed chance to inflict status effects, as with other monsters, instead of being based on their caster stats, it should make them more consistent in cases when your cyclops is set up as a fighter
- All mention of ADDLE was hopefully removed from the game, as it doesn’t really use the status anymore
- If you cheated the Geomancer class onto your generic characters, they will look different, as their old look is now used for Headhunter
Report this file