About This File
TO: LUCT is no doubt one of the classics of turn based tactical games, it can boast complex storyline with a memorable cast of characters and multiple endings, as well as a deep combat system with a vast arsenal of equipment, items and spells. Its PSP port can also serve as an example of how such things should be done, with the game getting not only a much needed facelift but also a thorough redesign of most combat elements.
Sadly, the game isn’t without faults, as some of the new features make it extremely prone to exploits which an experienced player can use to fully remove any challenge from the game. The main goal of this mod is to render such exploits more difficult, bringing weapons, classes and skills closer to the level they should perform at, as well as to each other. Its secondary goal is to provide tweaks to immersion, visuals and some of the more cumbersome game systems like crafting and endless skill farming.
This is still a work in progress so all feedback is welcome.
For installation instructions and more info check the included Readme file.
- Weapon, armor and consumable item rework. Equipment is more likely to do what you expect of it, 2H weapons will do a lot of damage and a tank in heavy armor will be hard to kill.
- Additional items, spells and skills, as well as changes to the existing ones with a focus on improving the more unappealing choices.
- Skills that grant stat bonuses, like Strengthen or Spellcraft, as well as static choices like Switfoot or Spell Ward were removed and compensated with higher stat differences between classes than in vanilla game.
- A full Finishing move rebalance.
- Most ways of gaining permanent stats were removed to reduce power creep in late game and increase options during early game.
- The power of special characters was reduced across the board, they're about on par with each other now and not overwhelmingly stronger than generics.
- Generic characters have more diverse templates that split into fighter, rogue, mage and generalist archetypes, their stats can differ a lot depending on which one you hire.
- Significantly increased the levelling speed of slow skills, like Steal or Parry.
- Most classes were tweaked, with emphasis on nerfing the strong ones and buffing the weak, many gained new tricks.
- Monsters don't scale natural armor as high as before. With the changes to skills, their new role is high HP bullet sponges that take a lot of damage and use the TP gained to spam special moves.
- Many items are easier to acquire, reducing the endgame tedium.
- Visual changes to some items, special characters, skills and spells.
- Streamlined crafting.
Consolidated changelist available in feedback thread.
What's New in Version 0.92 See changelog
Patch notes v0.92
- Lazarus staff changed to slashing damage to match its sprite more closely.
- Khatvanga charges 50MP instead of percentage, I needed that ability slot and the amount is close enough.
- Boulders are not consumed on use anymore, that means they had to be moved from lobber category to sidearms.
- Caster hats don’t have a bonus to Meditate skill anymore.
- The MP bonus on most caster gear was substantially increased.
- Because of inconsistencies in damage formulas when applying the percentage damage bonus through damage resistances, earrings were reverted to racial bonuses. The bonus isn’t shown on character sheet but it’s there in combat and applies to all damage done and received.
- Changed the names of all spell grimoires to match the spell’s name. It’s an accessibility change that admittedly sacrifices some flavor, which was fortunately a bit suspect in the first place as French isn’t really used anywhere else in the game and we have no clue as to why scrolls do.
- Some spell scrolls changed color to match the elements more closely, we’ll see if it feels better.
- Changed the name of some ninjutsu scrolls to be more indicative of their purpose.
- Added Ginseng, a consumable that restores 50TP.
- Monster food items permanently boost stats again instead of restoring TP, however they’re less effective and much more expensive, the whole thing is mostly intended to be an endgame cash sink.
- Grenades are stronger, their visual effects were reverted as the new ones weren’t behaving in all cases.
- The ‘reagent’ category was renamed to ‘treasure’ as there aren’t many reagents left, pretty much all of the stuff in it is for sale now.
- Ninja tools were relocated to consumables tab to prevent selling them by mistake.
- Consumables that cure multiple statuses will now properly display 100% success rate for the secondary ones instead of 0%. It was just a display issue as they were curing all listed statuses just fine.
- Active skills are now learned at similar levels for all classes, depending on how many active skills the class can learn, mostly according to this pattern (with a few exceptions): 2-10-18; 2-8-14-20; 2-7-12-17-22; 2-6-10-14-18-22.
- Racial skills level up 30% to 60% faster, depending on skill.
Spells and Active Skills
- Tier I area spells do slightly less damage now, it was equal to tier I projectiles due to a formula error and could be oppressive in early game.
- Minor elemental buffs also grant resistance to their element, not a selling point by any means but it can be nice to have.
- Drift, the minor water buff was changed to Haze, granting Sidestep in an area, it was too situational and inferior to Hover Draft.
- Range of Exorcism I and II increased by 2.
- Drain Heart now drains 20% of current HP.
- Gravity flux is an area spell.
- Dead Man’s Ivy is an area spell.
- Meditate isn’t a levelled skill anymore and now restores 10% of max MP instead, so raising your max is more valuable.
- Intimidate now also has a chance to Weaken so it’s less situational.
- Steal got 1 extra range.
- Beckon works properly.
- MP values for most classes increased.
- A few minor adjustments to class stats, Cockatrices aren’t as beefy as Griffons, Cleric is a bit less tough, Vartan slightly more and so on.
- Berserker gained access to 2H swords again.
- Dragoon gained +1 jump.
- Necromancer properly can’t use elemental caster staves other than dark, he also can’t learn any magic skill other than dark as he lost access to spells of other elements.
- Angel Knight properly can’t use elemental caster staves other than light.
- Paladin gained access to Vigorous Attack, Check and Challenge.
- Songstress got access to Silent Song and Poignant Melody
- Class availability for some races was changed, demihumans got 7 classes each and most others got 4.
- Hawkman: Archer, Wizard, Cleric, Swordmaster, Rogue, Beast Tamer, Warlock (no flying in heavy armor anymore)
- Lizardman: Warrior, Berserker, Dragoon, Fusilier, Beast Tamer, Hoplite, Juggernaut (very little magic and a bit of bangaa vibe)
- Lamia: Archer, Wizard, Spellblade, Rogue, Beast Tamer, Warlock, Necromancer, Patriarch (more dexterity classes and magic)
- Orc: Warrior, Wizard, Spellblade, Terror Knight, Berserker, Juggernaut, Patriarch (strength and magic)
- Skeleton: Warrior, Archer, Terror Knight, Berserker, Swordmaster, Hoplite (dex and strength, a bit of dark magic)
- Ghost: Wizard, Rogue, Warlock, Necromancer (mostly magic)
- Fairie: Wizard, Cleric, Rogue, Familiar
- Gremlin: Archer, Rogue, Fusilier, Familiar
- Pumpkinhead: Spellblade, Terror Knight, Warlock, Familiar, Songstress
- Until I have access to all the battle data, some npcs will be in classes that aren’t available to them. That will eventually be fixed but I’d like to solidify class availability before that if possible, because it’s a lot of work to go through it multiple times.
- Denam can change into most special classes of other characters because they’re too buddy-buddy to hide anything from him. The exception are classes he isn’t equipped for, namely Princess, Vartan, Shaman, Wicce, Songstress and Knight Commander.
- Oelias can change into a Priest.
- Cressida can change into an Astromancer.
- Vartan is now unique to Canopus.
- Ravness can change into a Paladin instead of White Knight.
- Iuria can’t be a Shaman anymore, unless someone convinces me she’s Mreuva’s long lost daughter from back in the day when he frolicked all over Xenobia as a young and virile deacon.
- Ozma can’t change into a White Knight, she’s chaotic neutral and her unique class is good enough anyway.
- Xapan is a bit weaker as an npc.
- All special classes now have default sprites set so you can cheat them onto your generics without crashing the game. With Lord, Princess and Heretic I had to leave the default sprites intact, because those are the locations Denam and Catiua draw their racial sprites from in second part of the game, Catiua uses the male version of Princess, funnily enough. As for Heretic, it’s a class hardcoded to override other sprites, that’s the only way Catiua can change costumes while locked on the Princess sprite (and the reason I couldn’t give Cressida access to Heretic).
- Lifeline Gem returned to the shops at a low-low price of 2000 goth, it won’t erase your mistakes anymore so no need to restrict it as much.
- Ginseng is available around mid game.
- The Water Strider scroll was missing from the shop by mistake, it’s back now.
- Drain Power spell is available in normal shops.
- Summons can also be bought in Deneb’s shop.
- Renamed CLOUDWALK to LEVITATE.
- Renamed WINDWALK to FLY.
- Renamed BLINKWALK to WARP.
- Renamed ELEMENT ATTUNED to RESIST ELEMENT, the buff is a bit more common now and it was a bit similar to ELEMENT TOUCHED.
- Added more information about LEADEN status.
- Male version of Wicce renamed to Sage (for improved cheating compatibility).
- Female version of Astromancer renamed to Oracle.
- Fixed some skill description errors.
- The Warren entry for Deneb’s shop will specify her travel schedule, there is one and I can’t think of a good reason she’d keep it secret.
- With version 0.92: