About This File
TO: LUCT is no doubt one of the classics of turn based tactical games, it can boast complex storyline with a memorable cast of characters and multiple endings, as well as a deep combat system with a vast arsenal of equipment, items and spells. Its PSP port can also serve as an example of how such things should be done, with the game getting not only a much needed facelift but also a thorough redesign of most combat elements.
Sadly, the game isn’t without faults, as some of the new features make it extremely prone to exploits which an experienced player can use to fully remove any challenge from the game. The main goal of this mod is to render such exploits more difficult, bringing weapons, classes and skills closer to the level they should perform at, as well as to each other. Its secondary goal is to provide tweaks to immersion, visuals and some of the more cumbersome game systems like crafting and endless skill farming.
This is still a work in progress so all feedback is welcome.
For installation instructions and more info check the included Readme file.
- Weapon, armor and consumable item rework. Equipment is more likely to do what you expect of it, 2H weapons will do a lot of damage and a tank in heavy armor will be hard to kill.
- Additional items, spells and skills, as well as changes to the existing ones with a focus on improving the more unappealing choices.
- Skills that grant stat bonuses, like Strengthen or Spellcraft, as well as static choices like Switfoot or Spell Ward were removed and compensated with higher stat differences between classes than in vanilla game.
- A full Finishing move rebalance.
- Most ways of gaining permanent stats were removed to reduce power creep in late game and increase options during early game.
- The power of special characters was reduced across the board, they're about on par with each other now and not overwhelmingly stronger than generics.
- Generic characters have more diverse templates that split into fighter, rogue, mage and generalist archetypes, their stats can differ a lot depending on which one you hire.
- Significantly increased the levelling speed of slow skills, like Steal or Parry.
- Most classes were tweaked, with emphasis on nerfing the strong ones and buffing the weak, many gained new tricks.
- Monsters don't scale natural armor as high as before. With the changes to skills, their new role is high HP bullet sponges that take a lot of damage and use the TP gained to spam special moves.
- Many items are easier to acquire, reducing the endgame tedium.
- Visual changes to some items, special characters, skills and spells.
- Streamlined crafting.
Consolidated changelist available in feedback thread.
What's New in Version 0.88a See changelog
Patch notes v0.88a
- Fixed a bug that would freeze the game if a thrown rock is dodged
Patch notes v0.88
- Changed the usable abilities on high level weapons from spells to more widely useful skills, with the exception of caster weapons
- Xolotl Canine and Setan Kober swapped base stats and level requirement, the latter is crafted so it should be grouped with the other ones
- Aerondight (PotD crafted sword) changed to Crissaegrim, a physical sword that hits twice
- Oracion grants an INT bonus instead of AGI like other swords
- Books have a 50% chance to inflict ENFEEBLE
- Footwear with movement enhancements has a lower level requirement
- Thrown weapons have the lowest RT cost of all ranged weapons, they’re heavy because you carry a stack but also faster to use because there’s no need to reload
- Level requirement of Cursed Weapons raised to 30, instead of sacrificing a unit to get the real weapon they’re usable right away. All cursed weapons are physical and their stats are lower than other endgame weapons, however, their stat bonuses are higher, they’re lighter, cost less RT to use, have a chance to instantly kill on hit and have powerful abilities. Because their stats aren’t identical anymore, some of them are reverted from 1H to 2H.
- Some weapons were renamed to make room for the cursed weapon naming pattern.
- Blessing Stone and Hallowing Stone changed to Lifeline Gem and Salvation Gem, consumables that remove an ally from the battlefield
- Players are able to obtain multiple copies of class change items, like Book of the Dead
- Songstress’ score was replaced by yet another treasure item
- Grimoire Resurrection I and II were renamed to Grimoire Evacuation I and II
- Grimoire Malediction I and II were renamed to Grimoire Frenesie and Repit
- Rune Fencer got access to Field Alchemy IV
- Necromancer lost projectile III and IV but got access to 1H/2H Crossbows and Instills, as well as appropriate stats to function as a ranged/caster hybrid, he was little more than a weaker Lich so this should give him some identity
- Necromancer lost access to Condemn because the skill wouldn’t do anything in this version and gained access to Deflect, Counterattack1, Trajectory, MaxTP2 and Ahriman
- Lich has higher RT by 2, however he can teleport and has also gained access to summons, so buffs are the only magic type he can’t use
- Angel Knight got access to Instruments
- Cyclops had access to Luminous Resonance by oversight
- Ranger got Disarm back for flavor reasons
- Priest has 1 jump less than Cleric, he also lost access to damage draconic magic
- Princess lost access to Absolution
- Wicce got access to Divine Magic and Luminous Resonance command, she could use the element but didn’t have the skills
- Shaman lost access to summons, you can get four of them so they have to lack something, Astromancer and Lord remain as the only classes with full access to non-healing elemental spells
- Wicce gained access to summons and lost access to apocrypha
- Last boss second form is slightly tankier
- Songs are also usable through Songs command, because NPCS still use it
- Octopus temple boss got Aquaveil back because his level has no water so he can’t use other skills, that means Rally had to move elsewhere so you will have to purchase it with your knights again
Spells and Active Skills
- Minor status spells cost 20 MP again because the AI was spamming them too much, they might decide on something else now
- Status removal spells have 1 extra range
- Ease has the same range as other status removals
- Resurrection I and II were changed to Evacuate I and II, spells that remove an ally from the battlefield, range of the latter one was reduced to 5 and MP cost of both reduced
- Drain Mind MP cost reduced to 5
- MP cost of lesser Dark status spells was increased and their duration shortened
- Range of greater Dark status spells was increased to 5 and their duration was reduced, enemy mages liked sticking their noses closer to the frontlines more than is healthy
- Gravity Flux now also does 10% of target’s current HP as damage, simialr to Demi spells from FF
- Dead Man’s Ivy also delays target’s RT by 20, enemies really like that spell for some reason
- Curse now inflicts CURSE status instead of WITHER and affects an area
- Curse II changed to Frenzy, a spell that QUICKENS a single undead, it reinforces the Necromancer’s role as shepherd to the dead
- Curse III changed to Release, a short range spell that instantly stills a single undead, it was a shoddy piece of work anyway
- Brainrot cost reduced to 20, it also removes 20% of target’s max MP, having an enemy cleric cast a neutered Heal I instad of full power Heal III on next turn might be worth the trouble
- Base range of Empower spells increased by 1
- Resonance skill TP cost down to 30
- Absolution changed to Seal Evil, a touch skill that petrifies an UNDEAD unit for a very long duration, TP cost raised to 50, RT cost raised to 20
- Spellbreak can’t hurt allies anymore, it also got renamed back to Shadowbreak because it doesn’t Dispel as originally planned, I was considering Clone War, but...
- Singer’s High renamed to Superstar, I never really liked the name, Lucky Star renamed to Limelight because that would be more stars than the Grammy award
- Condemn changed to Ahriman, a cheap skill that grants 100% accuracy to next ranged attack
- Risk Management changed to Blood Price, a skill that removes half of Max HP to charge 200 TP to the user
- Feral Remedy and Catnip are ranked skills with a scaling range bonus
- Denam got a small stat boost so he’s more in line with other special characters
- Most enemy leaders using squishy classes got a significant durability boost, it is more likely a player will have to kill the henchmen first before he can focus on the leader. Leaders are also more in line with one another so the weaker ones should pose a bigger threat
- Ghosts aren’t floating anymore but can teleport
- The duration of Charm was globally reduced to match Bewitch
- Various small bug fixes
- Resurrecting fallen soldiers by common means was disabled, resurrection stones and spells will instead evacuate the ally to your field hospital to be properly tended for. Considering that the nurses in liberation army (both male and female) are chosen to also be easy on the eyes as well as skilled, this isn’t such a bad deal
· This has consequences, however. It means that once your soldier is knocked out you will technically be one man short for the battle so you should take better care to avoid it. That also means that if Denam falls you have 3 turns to mop up because you lose if he leaves the field so he can’t be evacuated, his army apparently holds him in so high regard they can’t dust off a carpet without him. It’s still more lenient than getting him knocked into a pit, I suppose
· It isn’t all bad news, however, rescue missions got a lot more manageable because you can also evacuate allies that are still alive and kicking, which means your new goal is to simply reach the npc before the enemy does so you can pull him out to safety and put up with no more of his idiocy. Though you should take care not to do it if he/she still has something important to say, when rescuing Ocionne, for instance.
· This is a fairly major change to game mechanics so it’s highly experimental and all feedback is welcome, it should make the game harder overall, but it has plenty of room left before it gets unreasonably hard, I think.
- With version 0.88a:
Report this file