praetarius5018

Breath of Fire 2 - Defiance of Fate

27 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

I understand where you're coming from but since I can't move NPCs to different maps I only see 2 main options:
1) as late as vanilla so you barely can play around with the fusion system at all
2) all at the start when fusions unlock but with stat penalties until you find the real shamans

That's a really tragic limitation, holy shit. Both options are bad but there's something even more fundamentally unsound with unlocking every fusion, the gut feeling it gives is akin to suddenly getting every spell in the game, only rebalanced for earlier use, or like getting every summon/limit break at the same time in a FF game but the better ones are watered down until later. Personally I'd rather just not have them at all and wait for endgame proper to earn the good stuff like in any game. Well, if the code really doesn't offer a decent solution to it, guess you'll just have to make the hard choice and it's gonna heavily define the mod. 

7 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

It might also help some of the otherwise less useful characters; Jean is basically dead weight until you can give him a good fusion.

Have you checked out maeson's mod for inspiration? I used Jean (Tapeta in the retrans) plenty in that because he was the tankiest character that came in handy since all enemy damage was naturally buffed, with good healing abilities like a paladin archetype, plus the awesome field ability. 

1 hour ago, Holy2tack said:

On the Shaman Timing. Did you see a possible way to lock some of them away and not others? Say for example, you unlock the basic shamans right off the bat, but after some story events unlock the rest? Such as expanding township. Then as you find their physical counterparts they get full strength?

Dunno, sounds pretty arbitrary.
There'd be no notification for the player that he suddenly has unlocked the rest of the feature.

1 hour ago, Hapanpappa said:

That's a really tragic limitation, holy shit. Both options are bad but there's something even more fundamentally unsound with unlocking every fusion, the gut feeling it gives is akin to suddenly getting every spell in the game, only rebalanced for earlier use, or like getting every summon/limit break at the same time in a FF game but the better ones are watered down until later. Personally I'd rather just not have them at all and wait for endgame proper to earn the good stuff like in any game. Well, if the code really doesn't offer a decent solution to it, guess you'll just have to make the hard choice and it's gonna heavily define the mod. 

No, this is like having one ring slot per character but only 1 ring for half the game.
Having more shamans is not automatically more power, it is just more options which enemies can easily take away with rng based focus damage on one character.

Edited by praetarius5018