BTB

Brave New World 2.0 Is Now Available!

89 posts in this topic

What were some of your biggest hurdles, and how long did the Atma fight take? I assume you used Blowfish for damage and (as previously stated) Gau for Rerise spam?

Edited by BlackMage

Atma was maybe 20 minutes, I didn't clock it. Brainpan, Blowfish, Celes with Float or Red Bulls if someone died, Shadow throwing stuff. He was kind of easy for me, nothing he did even hit me.

Biggest hurdles was the final boss tiers and probably Hidon, which Gogo solo'd also. Most bosses were hurdles till you get their scripts down and plan accordingly with gear sets.

5 hours ago, Kain Stryder said:

Atma was maybe 20 minutes, I didn't clock it. Brainpan, Blowfish, Celes with Float or Red Bulls if someone died, Shadow throwing stuff. He was kind of easy for me, nothing he did even hit me.

Biggest hurdles was the final boss tiers and probably Hidon, which Gogo solo'd also. Most bosses were hurdles till you get their scripts down and plan accordingly with gear sets.

Ah yeah, that seems much smarter than what I did. At first, I thought using Strago for damage would be a poor idea due to his squishiness (same with Gau). I did later realize that's not much of a problem, but I was too committed to my team at that point haha. I assume Brainpan also has Blowfish? I actually forgot to get the Floating Continent rages before WoR, which just shows how much of a scrub I am. :P 
How were you able to stack enough mEvade that Atma couldn't hit you with Flare or Meteor? The latter was the biggest hurdle for me tbh (combined with Cleanse).

X-Meteo being a thing didn't really cross my mind thus far, but it does seem absurdly useful for WoR.

Another thing I'm curious about though; Now that you know the game inside and out (I assume), do you think you'll be able to do a regular playthrough without everything feeling like a pushover? Or are there other interesting challenge runs to do? Sorry for turning this into an AMA lol, but these really hard challenge runs fascinate me on some level. Plus I'm not all that familiar with FF6 (never beaten it) so I'm soaking up info left and right.

I would faceroll the game normally with my knowledge, yes. Can't evade Meteor, I assume you mean Meteo which you can, and I did. Flare I just ate. X-Meteo is ungodly good.

How compatible is BNW with editors such as FF3usME? I seem to recall it tends to get unstable. What about with minor alterations such as changing character portraits with FF3se? Is it likely to cause problems?

edit: might as well make sure, if I want to use sprite patches such as Bauglir's(?) armored Celes, should I patch that stuff before or after BNW? 

edit2: looks like editing portraits doesn't cause immediate problems at least, but doing anything with FF3usME such as importing a sprite sheet makes it so that the game softlocks on save points. Interesting.. I wonder how some people seem to have successfully fiddled with sprites with this mod. 

Edited by Hapanpappa

19 hours ago, Hapanpappa said:

How compatible is BNW with editors such as FF3usME?

As you have learned, it isn't.

Hello,

First time poster, but I've been following this project for a long time. I had not tried the game yet because I was waiting for 2.0 to be released.

I'd like to congratulate BTB and everyone involved in the mod for your hard work. It seems like a real gem, and I'm looking forward to playing it to the end.

On another note, has anyone tried playing the mod on their hacked SNES mini? I'm using retroarch with the Snes9x core. The game has some slight slowdown when navigating the world; battles are fine, but outside of that there is a little slowdown. Is this just for me? Is there anything I can do to remedy that issue? I'd prefer playing the game on my TV with the SNES controller than on my PC.

Thank you!

Several of our players are running on a SNES Mini and the only real problem has been that updating it is a huge pain in the ass.

"Setzer's dice no longer receive a damage boost from the Bserk status"

oof that one hit me in my soul, especially after getting excited about the other dice changes. I'm not going to demand a change or anything entitled like that (in fact it might literally be the only change I dislike in this godly beast of a patch), but I'm curious about why this change was made. I'm guessing it was to make behaviours consistent or something?

Edited by Shax
Line break

Aside from the fact that it's ostensibly a bugfix, it counter-balances the fact that the new Dice math is effectively a buff to an already-powerful weapon.

15 hours ago, BTB said:

Several of our players are running on a SNES Mini and the only real problem has been that updating it is a huge pain in the ass.

Hmm. Maybe I can try running the game from Canoe. Hopefully that solves the issue.

EDIT: it did. I switched the core back to Canoe and the game runs well now. There's just a slight graphical glitch that pops up during battles, whereby the top part of the enemy sprites that are on the bottom row sometimes flicker in and out of existence. It's very mild and not much of a problem.

Edited by AuthenticM

So is Cid staying alive a new twist in the plot as well? Sure didn't expect it, seemed bugged at first because his dialogue looped multiple times and I just kept feeding him fish over and over expecting him to die but eventually he actually got better. I was pretty thrilled to see something new but then again I missed out on seeing one of the most memorable and tragic moments of the game(the cliff scene), it's pretty much the emotional climax of the game.  

Well, I suppose this is a testament to how much of a pain in the ass saving him was in the original game.

Holy crap. It's in the original. To think that I've never had that happen before. 

On another note, major kudos to whoever wrote the dialogue for the mod. The jokes and memes aside, more serious moments were clearly given due respect as it should be. Especially the dialogue between Locke and Celes, Terra&Leo, everything on the FC, and Setzer rejoining in WoR come to mind; absolutely brilliant and vastly superior to the awkward, quite child-like character dialogue of the original. This is so much more cinematic&mature yet grounded and real. 

Setzer's re-recruitment scene is my personal favorite. They say "write what you know" and apparently drunk and depressed is... pretty well-worn territory for me >.>

Haha, it would appear so. The dialogue really is one of the most awkward aspects of the original, dunno if the translation or the japanese script is more at fault. 

Also is the Phoenix cave final room red save point just a tease or something? I think the chest that you can't open was always there, but that save point bugs me as I've explored every square inch of the place but found nothing.

Just stopping by to congratulate you guys on such an amazing mod, and to thank you for the great experience. Seriously, BNW is a work of art.

I have played version 1.9 (I think it was 1.9) a little after it came out and found it incredible, and 2.0 is even better. I've finished it yesterday, and it feels more well balanced than 1.9 (or maybe I managed to git gud between them, but I don't think so), and the difficulty was just spot on for the vast majority of the game. The only bosses that came close to feeling unfair (although it might have been just poor strategy on my part) were Master T and Myria, and even those I managed to beat after changing strats a couple times.

Seriously, this mod is great. I already feel like running a replay. Thank you so very much!

How come I can only choose the order of the first 4 characters for the Kefka fight? Seems like a weirdly specific glitch if it is one, although I can't imagine why you'd want to make it random either. 

In the rich guy's house at the north of Jidoor, there's a painting of (I think) flowers. When you "talk" to it, it says it gives you "piece (sic) of mind". Is the misspelling intentional?

On 07/03/2020 at 1:38 AM, Hapanpappa said:

How come I can only choose the order of the first 4 characters for the Kefka fight? Seems like a weirdly specific glitch if it is one, although I can't imagine why you'd want to make it random either. 

It's intended.

On 12/31/2019 at 10:02 PM, Deschain said:

My wife and I turned the boring .txt file Readme into a (in my humble opinion) bitchin' PDF with illustrations, art, and screenshots galore. If you would prefer to read that, you can find it here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GfWIhaiB3MXC5do2xLJIKR368P8pj0Vu

I created an account simply to let you know that you and your wife did an amazing job.  I'll be printing this out today and loading up the 2.0 mod this weekend!

Are there any other recommended mods for other FF games that are in the same vein as the Brave New World mod?

On 31/12/2019 at 11:02 PM, Deschain said:

My wife and I turned the boring .txt file Readme into a (in my humble opinion) bitchin' PDF with illustrations, art, and screenshots galore. If you would prefer to read that, you can find it here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GfWIhaiB3MXC5do2xLJIKR368P8pj0Vu

This is beautiful and should totally be in the mod's compression file!