hmsong

Hmsong's non-SoM patches

237 posts in this topic

Hmm.  I can't do anything with the type flags, since it's either too powerful (0C/0D) or too useless (23).  I'm not sure what you mean by, " set POWER1 1-5 to ORA respective resistance by spell's element, POWER1 6+ to reset all resistances ".  I'm guessing Power1 is the multiplier (14th byte).  Do you mean change the value of 14th byte to 01~05 to resist particular element?

9 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

I doubt you'll manage to do with spell animations what you set out to do but give this a try:

the animations are at 17E200+4x spellId, 4 bytes per entry, first 2 bytes are the ST animation, other 2 the MT animation

if you try to set an ST-only animation as MT the spell will crash the game and blindly guessing is right out since those 2 bytes are our "friends" pointers.

So, Diamond Missile animation (ID: 01) is from 17E204~17E207, and the vanilla values are EA CB 06 CD?  And Earthquake spell (ID: 02) is from 17E208~17E20B?  Then what about magic items, such as Paladin's Proof? (ID: 01)

I suppose I'll just avoid giving ST spells the MT animations then.  Hopefully, giving MT animation to ST spell won't cause a crash.

2 hours ago, hmsong said:

Why did this double post?  How do I delete the double post?

do you have an options button to the bottom right of the post?
I can delete it there.

2 hours ago, hmsong said:

Paladin's Proof? (ID: 01)

items are still "spell IDs" $101+

6 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

do you have an options button to the bottom right of the post?
I can delete it there.

No, I don't have the option.  I only see this:

03.thumb.png.bc9cb20c0d7c4def9a0d31a18c9211d8.thumb.png.c2394197ce9329405790fe61e38f297e.png

The plus button is "MultiQuote".

6 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

items are still "spell IDs" $101+

Woot!  That is useful.  Thank you.  I'm only coping/pasting the animation, so I can make use of what you posted.  Sigh.  I can't give Demon Scream animation to Black Curse, since Demon Scream doesn't summon Shade.  Well, I can assign the animation, but I don't want to, because it doesn't have Shade animation.  That... limits my options a lot.

I just noticed this, but it seems that for some spells (like Detect or monster-only spells), my characters freeze in mid-cast motion, then finishes the cast motion after the spell animation is already finished.  Is there any way to fix that, at least for Detect?

Edited by hmsong

I see.  Thank you.  If I couldn't do werewolf boost or starting level edit, then I assume I won't be able to change the animation edit.  Oh well.  It seems that there are some vanilla spells that doesn't complete the casting animations, such as Axe Bomber and all of trap spells.

I assume what you posted for the animation was the animation pointer.  Is there one for the spell names?  There are unused spell slots (namely Ancient 2 and Ancient 3), and I want to use it to create new spells.  I can change the effect, and now the animation (well, use the ones available), but I don't want them to be called Ancient (I don't know if there are any spell names that are not being used).  Of course, since I'll only be changing the pointer, I assume I'll have to use the existing names instead of coming up with something of my own, but that's fine.  I intend one of them being Smoke (the trap spell), since it's one of the convenient spells that has ST and MT animation (ST animation isn't used in vanilla, it seems).  But I don't want to change the vanilla Smoke trap.

Edited by hmsong

7 hours ago, hmsong said:

Is there one for the spell names?

Just no. Anything involving texts is WORSE than the Kevin wolf bonus^3, no joke there.
Anything involved text is like compressed twice. Can't undo that manually.

Your best bet to make "new" spells is taking existing enemy-only spells and working with those - but keep the target side the same or those enemies will do dumb stuff like heal/buff your party or kill themselves.

Whoa, really?  I figured that as long as I don't actually touch the text themselves, and only mess with the pointer, I would be okay (just like I'm messing with the animation pointer, rather than animation themselves).  Damn, that means I can't use the Ancient 2/3 slots.

Do you know any enemy spells that has a name and are not being used by the game, whether they are normal monster, boss or even events?  Here are the ones I can't find any enemies using (some don't even have animation, although they seem to do damage), but could you confirm?

• Sky Attack
  • Feather Blizzard
  • Gas Cloud
  • 100 Tentacles
  • Squid Ink
  • Tidal Wave
  • Revenge Spike
  • Sandstream
  • Spined Kelp
  • Bomb (the non-trap version)
  • Bloody Axe

Also, is there a way to give a spell the Dreamsee Herb effect?  I want to give that to Pressure Point, but the data in D1B090 isn't giving me any info, since it seems to be a dummy effect.

Btw, I figured out what spell flag 12 does.  It does fixed damage of the... spell ID (Diamond Missile is 01, so it does 1 damage, and Unicorn Head's ID is 3C, so it does 60 damage).  What a weird spell.

Edited by hmsong

There are no text pointers you can use without asm.
The pointers that exist vary by translation and version of translation.

8 hours ago, hmsong said:

Do you know any enemy spells that has a name and are not being used by the game, whether they are normal monster, boss or even events?  Here are the ones I can't find any enemies using (some don't even have animation, although they seem to do damage), but could you confirm?

• Sky Attack
  • Feather Blizzard
  • Gas Cloud
  • 100 Tentacles
  • Squid Ink
  • Tidal Wave
  • Revenge Spike
  • Sandstream
  • Spined Kelp
  • Bomb (the non-trap version)
  • Bloody Axe

Sky Attack and Feather Blizzard should be used anonymously by Tzenker.
Gas Cloud should likewise be Lightgazer's "normal" attack.
Spined Kelp is Gildervine's.
For Bomb and Bloody Axe I wanna say Ogre Chest has them.
Revenge Spike - isn't that on Mispolm?

100 Tentacles, Squid Ink and Tidal Wave should be safe.

Also, is there a way to give a spell the Dreamsee Herb effect?  I want to give that to Pressure Point, but the data in D1B090 isn't giving me any info, since it seems to be a dummy effect.

Then it likely works like the escape rope by having the actual effect in the animation.

10 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

There are no text pointers you can use without asm.
The pointers that exist vary by translation and version of translation.

I was specifically talking about NCorlett+LNFT v1.01 version, since that's the only English version I know exists.  I'm sure v1.00 existed too, but I was unable to find it (nor any other English translations).  In any case, if you can tell me the spell name pointer specifically for NCorlett+LNFT v1.01 version (the most common English version), then I'd appreciate it.  This isn't for any of my public release though, since as you pointed out, there are other language translations, and I don't want to mess with it.

Sky Attack and Feather Blizzard should be used anonymously by Tzenker.
Gas Cloud should likewise be Lightgazer's "normal" attack.
Spined Kelp is Gildervine's.
For Bomb and Bloody Axe I wanna say Ogre Chest has them.
Revenge Spike - isn't that on Mispolm?

100 Tentacles, Squid Ink and Tidal Wave should be safe.

I think the attacks are all screen freezing attacks.  So none of them could be "normal" attack, and they would definitely display the names of the attack before it coming out (they displayed the name when I used it).  Some sources tell me that indeed Spined Kelp is Gildervine's attack, but I never seen him use it.  Gotta try again.  I tried playing around with Tzenker, Lightgazer, and Mispolm too (I basically gave myself infinite HP and sat stood around to see all their attacks, for all bosses, actually).  They never used any of the spells.  Still, I know you changed boss behaviors for SoM, so you're probably right about them having the spells available, but could you tell me how to make those guys use the spells?  Maybe there's a special condition to make them use it? (level?)

I think Kaiser Mimic has Surprise Box Bomb (ID: 85), not spell Bomb (ID: A9).  I never saw Ogre Box using any screen freezing spells.  But I didn't really explore the Mimics though.  Gotta check that out.

Then it likely works like the escape rope by having the actual effect in the animation.

I tried that.  I first thought the animation is at D7E780.  But the animation didn't exist (it was a blank animation).  So I tried numerous other things, and the animation in D7E5DC resembled Dreamsee Herb, but it didn't have any effect either.

Btw, I thought all addresses are 3 bytes (before value), but the animation pointer seems to only have 2 bytes (assuming ST and MT are separate).

Edited by hmsong

I was specifically talking about NCorlett+LNFT v1.01 version, since that's the only English version I know exists.  I'm sure v1.00 existed too, but I was unable to find it (nor any other English translations).  In any case, if you can tell me the spell name pointer specifically for NCorlett+LNFT v1.01 version (the most common English version), then I'd appreciate it.

I don't know those.

I think the attacks are all screen freezing attacks.  So none of them could be "normal" attack

Sorry, but you are wrong here.
Just check Zable Fahrs side head - the firebreath one of them uses is actually the Gremlin spell (or that is one of the bugs the translation I use added) 

Btw, I thought all addresses are 3 bytes (before value), but the animation pointer seems to only have 2 bytes (assuming ST and MT are separate).

Please read it again.

On 6/30/2020 at 7:40 PM, praetarius5018 said:

I doubt you'll manage to do with spell animations what you set out to do but give this a try:
the animations are at 17E200+4x spellId, 4 bytes per entry, first 2 bytes are the ST animation, other 2 the MT animation

if you try to set an ST-only animation as MT the spell will crash the game and blindly guessing is right out since those 2 bytes are our "friends" pointers.

5 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

Sorry, but you are wrong here.
Just check Zable Fahrs side head - the firebreath one of them uses is actually the Gremlin spell (or that is one of the bugs the translation I use added)

I thought Zabel Fahr's firebreath is a normal attack completely unrelated to Gremlin spell.  Do they share the same stats or something?  Because obviously, they do not share the same name nor spell animation (well, its firebreath isn't even screen freezing spell, so I thought it was a melee attack that uses INT stat or something).

Wait, did you mean that some melee attacks don't freeze the screen?  Because if so, I know that.  But my point was that spells like Sky Attack, Feather Blizzard, Gas Cloud, and Revenge Spike are probably screen freezing attacks too, just like how Power Punch (from Jewel Eater) is a screen freezing attack, even though my character doesn't do any animation if I were to use it.

5 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

Please read it again.

Okay, let me rephrase my question.  For example, Diamond Missile animation is at 17E204~17E207, and the values are EA CB 06 CD (EA CB is for ST, and 06 CD is for MT).  I understood that part.  I'm guessing EA CB is pointer to some another address in the ROM, and 06 CD is a pointer to some another address -- after all, each spell animation takes a lot of bytes, so there's no way EA CB is the animation itself.  The problem is, I don't know where the pointers are pointed at.  If the values were xx yy zz, I would think the address is zzyyxx in the rom, but there are only 2 bytes.  I initially thought it would be 17yyzz, but that turned out to be false, since some spell animations like Pink Typhoon is 59 E2 (17E259 would not be the correct address, since that's the address of the spell pointer for Power Up spell).  Perhaps I'm not understanding what "friends" pointers are.

Edited by hmsong

4 hours ago, hmsong said:

I thought Zabel Fahr's firebreath is a normal attack completely unrelated to Gremlin spell.  Do they share the same stats or something?  Because obviously, they do not share the same name nor spell animation (well, its firebreath isn't even screen freezing spell, so I thought it was a melee attack that uses INT stat or something).

Wait, did you mean that some melee attacks don't freeze the screen?  Because if so, I know that.  But my point was that spells like Sky Attack, Feather Blizzard, Gas Cloud, and Revenge Spike are probably screen freezing attacks too, just like how Power Punch (from Jewel Eater) is a screen freezing attack, even though my character doesn't do any animation if I were to use it.

No, I mean it exactly as I said.
Some seemingly "normal" attacks are actually spells that don't freeze the game and may even have a different animation than expected or when used by you.

4 hours ago, hmsong said:

Okay, let me rephrase my question.  For example, Diamond Missile animation is at 17E204~17E207, and the values are EA CB 06 CD (EA CB is for ST, and 06 CD is for MT).  I understood that part.  I'm guessing EA CB is pointer to some another address in the ROM, and 06 CD is a pointer to some another address -- after all, each spell animation takes a lot of bytes, so there's no way EA CB is the animation itself.  The problem is, I don't know where the pointers are pointed at.  If the values were xx yy zz, I would think the address is zzyyxx in the rom, but there are only 2 bytes.  I initially thought it would be 17yyzz, but that turned out to be false, since some spell animations like Pink Typhoon is 59 E2 (17E259 would not be the correct address, since that's the address of the spell pointer for Power Up spell).  Perhaps I'm not understanding what "friends" pointers are.

hmm if you want to know... how about you put a read breakpoint on D7E204 and cast the spell in ST variant and then watch where it goes with that pointer?

it may be a pointer but noone says it has to be the same bank or even a neat +0000 pointer; it could be added to C81657 for all I know to find the actual animation data at C8E241. No idea without looking at it, but really, does it matter?
Just change the 2 bytes and see what happens.

No, I mean it exactly as I said.
Some seemingly "normal" attacks are actually spells that don't freeze the game and may even have a different animation than expected or when used by you.

Oh my.  I didn't know that.  Crap, I hope me screwing with some spells didn't screw up some of boss attacks (ex: I gave Rainbow Dust a non-damaging self-enhancements, and gave Ghost summon the Angel's Grail effect).

11 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

hmm if you want to know... how about you put a read breakpoint on D7E204 and cast the spell in ST variant and then watch where it goes with that pointer?

it may be a pointer but noone says it has to be the same bank or even a neat +0000 pointer; it could be added to C81657 for all I know to find the actual animation data at C8E241. No idea without looking at it, but really, does it matter?
Just change the 2 bytes and see what happens.

Okay, I'll try that.  I just wanted to see how to make the caster finish the casting animation before the spell animation comes out.  That's really annoying for me.

Btw, something neat I found out (that you may want to use for 2.0).  The spell ID: F5 (it's called SBD) has a cool animation where the caster casts TransShape to the target, then immediately follows up with Thunder Jutsu.  And the caster finishes his casting animation too.  You may want to use it as a ST version of Double Spell.  I know I am.

Btw, which translation patch are you using for your SoM?  You don't seem to be using NCorlett+LNFT patch, since you called Detect "Analyser" and Iormungand "Jurmungand".  That means whatever patch you're using, you're using the more accurately translated patch.  But someone already said that the official Trials of Mana is incompatible with your SoM, so that must not be it.

6 hours ago, hmsong said:

Oh my.  I didn't know that.  Crap, I hope me screwing with some spells didn't screw up some of boss attacks (ex: I gave Rainbow Dust a non-damaging self-enhancements, and gave Ghost summon the Angel's Grail effect).

I know of the Zable Fahr firebreath, Tzenker feather shot, Dangaard screaming, Gorva clouds, ...

All of the following are behind item addresses but still "spells":
Carmilla (Queen) bloody dance, Carmilla Queen heart attack, Slime Prince red glow, Harpy talon drain, Sea Dragon frost breath, Frost Dragon ice breath, Death Machine laser, Guardian laser, Cockabird 8-dir shot, Cockabird feather hail, Basilisk petribreath, Gold Unicorn K.O. attack, Chibi-Devil bubble, Grell dance, Grell Mage dance, Sahagin Bubble, Kerberos firebreath, Petit Dragon breath, Needlion needle spam, Golden Bulette armor buff, Petit Tiamat breath, Assassin Bug poison ball, Zombie breath, Siren song, Shadow Zero's nerf beam, Ruster Bug shot, Ghoul headless, Zombie Dragon breath, Firedrake firebreath, Jewel Eaters green spit, Lightgazer cloud

for maximum confusion just look at Gildervine's Hammerbean. it is a spell and time freezing but does not darken the screen.

6 hours ago, hmsong said:

Btw, which translation patch are you using for your SoM?

Not 100% sure which exactly.
I have the one that says:

5f004abbe10bb_SeikenDensetsu3(J)_sinofmana025.png.304b8b2bb8a6a081f5d3f6646330bbb7.png

instead of 1.01e's:
5f004abe52d1d_SeikenDensetsu3(J)_sinofmana022.png.ba95a9f842b4e46fd97ac8fce08f7f43.png

2 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

Not 100% sure which exactly.

I have the one that says:

5f004abbe10bb_SeikenDensetsu3(J)_sinofmana025.png.304b8b2bb8a6a081f5d3f6646330bbb7.png

instead of 1.01e's:
5f004abe52d1d_SeikenDensetsu3(J)_sinofmana022.png.ba95a9f842b4e46fd97ac8fce08f7f43.png

What da?!  I sure would like that version.  Is that the version where Lise's default name is spelled Riesz?

And your translation version doesn't say whom it's by or anything like that in the beginning?  For example, the 1.01e version says it in the character selection screen.  If I knew who it was by, then I can search for it (hopefully) and download it myself.  Unless, you're actually willing to post/send the translated ROM.

Edited by hmsong

Is that the version where Lise's default name is spelled Riesz?

Nope, she is Lise as she should be.

And your translation version doesn't say whom it's by or anything like that in the beginning?  For example, the 1.01e version says it in the character selection screen.

It says the exact same as the other version there.

Jesus christ.  I just downloaded 20+ ips/roms of 1.01 versions from all over the internet from many many sites.  I even found 1.00 somehow.  But none of them do what your version does.  I'm aware you can't post the pre-patched rom, but could you please post the .ips file of the one you have?  If not, a link to where you found yours?

Edited by hmsong

Sorry, can't do that.
The only version of that translation I have left has been integrated into the main patch at this point.

Forgot to make a backup before, lets hope I don't need it :S

Oh.  Too bad then.  It's still possible to make the ips file -- use the old 1.01e (post SoM patch) as a base, and use your new 1.01e (post SoM patch) as a goal, then use Lunar to create a patch.  But would you be willing to do that?

How should that work?
I'd have at best:
original 1.01e + SoM live version
vs
other 1.01e+ + current SoM dev version

the ips patch would just create garbage

So why not use the following?

1. original 1.01e + current SoM dev version

2. other 1.01e+ + current SoM dev version

I mean, you're the SoM dev, which means you have the "current SoM dev" version.  And original 1.01e is easy to find, which means you (and only you) should be able to create "original 1.01e + current SoM dev" version.

Of course, whatever patch that gets created, it would have to be applied on top of the original 1.01e rom (instead of raw J version rom) in order to be "other 1.01e" rom, but it'll still get the job done.

I see.  That's too bad then.  Oh well.  It'd be nice to be able to contact the original translation patch guy, but I was unable to.  No contact info (and the info that was posted in the guide no longer exists, since it was university email).  Thanks anyways.

Edited by hmsong

Hey.  I heard that starting D10000, it affects the monster stats.  But I have no idea how many bytes are used for each monster, nor what each of those bytes mean.  I have rough idea what the orders of the monsters are (assuming it starts with Shell Hunter).  If it's not too trouble, could you please explain how many bytes are used for each monster, and what each bytes mean?  Thanks.

$D104A4 Rabite
00:    1A         sprite index
01:    21         palette index
02:    99 57 D2 action script offset
05:    A0         d5-7: index in base HP pack (see monster base HPs)
            NOTE: always 0xA0 except for bosses Koren and Heath
06: 00         (always 0 for regular monsters except for King Rabite, 0x55 for some bosses)
07:    5A         affects XP
            d7: multiply addend by 20 (see #$89 below)
08:    D1 
09: E4         (very often 0xE4 for regular monsters, 0x32 and 0x78 are common for bosses)
0A:    89         d0-d6: XP addend
            d7: subtract
0B:    B0         d0-6: attack power (d4-7 almost always 0xA for regular monsters, thus attack power almost always between 32 and 47)
            d7: 
0C: E2         (d7 almost always set)
0D:    D5         d0-6: defense power?
            d7: 
0E:    E3 E3     (these two values are almost always equal, except for a few monsters & bosses)
10: FD         (d4-7 always 0xF for regular monsters, various for bosses)
11: 00         (almost always 0 except for a few monsters & bosses)
12: 00 00 00 00 
16: 40         (only single bits are ever set)
17: 00         (only single bits are ever set)
18: 00         attack sparks (only d6 is ever set, only by Jagan)
            d0: pink element
            d1: purple element
            d2: blue element
            d3: fire element
            d4: dark element
            d5: lightning element
            d6: drain HP
            d7: drain HP
19: 21         (almost always 0x21, some bosses 0x64)
1A:    00 00    status effect
            d0:  snowman
            d1:  
            d2:  chibikko
            d3:  poison
            d4:  moogled
            d5:  petrified
            d6:  sleep
            d7:  wounded
            d8:  
            d9:  
            d10: 
            d11: 
            d12: 
            d13: silence
            d14: 
            d15: 
1C:    00 00     (always 0 for all monsters)
1E: 00         (only d6,7 are ever used)
            d6,7: 
1F: 00         d1: (used only by Ruster Bug and Needle Bird)
            d2: (used only by Great Demon and Dark Battum)
            d4,5: (these are both set for almost all bosses)
20: 00         (only d5 is ever used)
            d5: 
21: 10 
22: 03 03     (always 3 for all monsters)

someone did it not me.i just posted