hmsong

Hmsong's non-SoM patches

237 posts in this topic

Hey,

Sorry to bother you once again (to both of you, praetarius5018 and shiliwei), but do you know how to make trap room into non-trap?  Using MapJester, I was able to make the locked door disappear (and the whole "open door after the battle" affect), but the message that says, "Trapped" in the beginning of the battle is something I was unable to make disappear.  From what I can tell, if you enter a room that begins with "Trapped" message, the enemies don't drop treasure chest (well, they do, but extremely rarely).  My goal is to make certain trap rooms in the Valley of Flames into non-trap rooms, so that enemies will drop items after the battle.

On 2020/9/3 at 2:58 AM, hmsong said:

Hey,

Sorry to bother you once again (to both of you, praetarius5018 and shiliwei), but do you know how to make trap room into non-trap?  Using MapJester, I was able to make the locked door disappear (and the whole "open door after the battle" affect), but the message that says, "Trapped" in the beginning of the battle is something I was unable to make disappear.  From what I can tell, if you enter a room that begins with "Trapped" message, the enemies don't drop treasure chest (well, they do, but extremely rarely).  My goal is to make certain trap rooms in the Valley of Flames into non-trap rooms, so that enemies will drop items after the battle.

sorry,I don't know 

Well, for my Better Monster patch, I wanted to make it so that the one-time monsters can be encountered again at any time.  For example, Matango Oil can only be obtained from Darth Matango, who can only be encountered before defeating Mispolm.  Once you defeat him, Darth Matango is gone for good, hence Matango Oil is gone for good (well, except Magic Seed chance).  Luckily, Mispolm dungeon doesn't have any trap rooms, so I can use any of the 5 isolated areas.  Similary, I wanted to make all God-Beast dungeon monsters to be encounterable (and their drops be obtainable), but only in isolated areas (usually one exit), where the player can choose to ignore.  There are only 3 spots in Flame Valley, and all 3 are Trap rooms.  Hence why I wanted to disable the Trap.

32 minutes ago, hmsong said:

Once you defeat him, Darth Matango is gone for good, hence Matango Oil is gone for good (well, except Magic Seed chance)

I don't understand what do u mean?do u mean we can't encounter lv 28 Darth Matango  after we beated Mispolm?

if you want the item like "Matango Oil"or something else,u can set the item code to another monster.

23 minutes ago, shiliwei said:

I don't understand what do u mean?do u mean we can't encounter lv 28 Darth Matango  after we beated Mispolm?

As far as I know, you can't fight Darth Matango (regardless of level) after you clear Mispolm, just like all God-Beast dungeons.  So enemies like Sea Dragon, Siren, etc will be gone for good from the game once you beat their particular dungoens.

26 minutes ago, shiliwei said:

if you want the item like "Matango Oil"or something else,u can set the item code to another monster.

Yes, I could, but I'm trying not to edit the item drops too much (except to edit way-too-many-Puipui Grass). 

Besides, I WANT to be able to fight Darth Matango.  Specifically, similar to kethinov's No Missable Monster for his Secret of Mana patch, I want to create one for SD3, where you can encounter any monster by the end of the game (and access their drops).

1 hour ago, hmsong said:

As far as I know, you can't fight Darth Matango (regardless of level) after you clear Mispolm, just like all God-Beast dungeons.  So enemies like Sea Dragon, Siren, etc will be gone for good from the game once you beat their particular dungoens.

u still can fight them after beat their particular dungeons,they all disappear after Dark beast show on the map。anyway, i can't help for"trap"

8 hours ago, shiliwei said:

u still can fight them after beat their particular dungeons,they all disappear after Dark beast show on the map。anyway, i can't help for"trap"

I see.  Thanks anyways.

3 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

I wouldn't count losing access to the item a bad thing; magic reflection can be quite broken or useless with little to no middle ground.

Well, what I wanted was have access to Firedrake's drops, since its drops are unique.  One trap room has only Firedrakes, but because of the traps, you can't access their drops.  Although I can just replace enemies in some areas with just Firedrakes (well, the NPC pack that has Firedrakes), I wanted a corner room in Flame Valley.

9 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

That sounds way better than trying to meddle with potentially story related triggers.

Huh?  You think messing with trap is potentially story related trigger?

But now that I think about it, you might be right.  It probably has to do with the script on the beginning of the battle, similar to how before boss battle, there's a dialog of some kind.

... Damn.

Hmm.  I've been messing with item drops, and I'm getting weird results.  For example, I've made all regular enemies have the following drops, just for testing:

0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 [21 20 1F 1E 1D 1C 1B 1A 19]

But whether in the beginning of the game or at the end of the game (where most characters are vanilla max stats), all enemies end up dropping are Basilisk's Fang (21), Item Seed (19), and sometimes Mysterious Seed (1A).  I did see Flying Seed (1B), but extremely rarely.  The rest drops (Magic Seed, ??? Seed, Weapon Seed, Earth Coin, and Gnome Statue), I have never seen.  Is this normal?  Is there a way I can make it so that the other byte items are actually possible?  I tried playing with 1st byte a bit (0A), but I didn't really find any different results.

Hmm.  In addition to the question in the previous post, do you know how to edit the EXP of 2nd Bill/Ben boss? (fought in the Scorching Desert)  The EXP of first Bill/Ben (fought in Rolante) can be edited at 111EB2, but for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to affect the 2nd Bill/Ben.  Could you please tell me the address for the 2nd Bill Ben EXP?  Thanks.

They should use 110DF6 and 111EB2 for that.
For the human sized bosses there always seem to be 2 full stat version and it is chosen randomly which gets used.

Ohh.  So I guess that means Lugar and Machine Golem does that too.  What are the codes for those guys?  It seems pretty random (Bill/Ben's ID was DA, but now, apparently, their other ID is 63?).

Once again, thanks.

Edit: I just tried the code for both 110DF6 and 111EB2, but neither seem to affect the Desert Bill/Ben EXP.  Uhh, please help?

Edited by hmsong

as alternate ids I have:
Bill/Ben: 63, DA
Lugar: 69, D7
Koren: 6F, AF
Deathjester: 70, B4
Jagan: 71, B2
Heath: 74, B5
Dangaard; 78, 107

make sure you change the exp value BEFORE you enter the room.

I changed the code before entering.  I even tried it by changing the ROM address permanently, for both addresses (I changed the value to 80, from 87/85).  No changes in EXP gain after the battle (didn't kill anyone on the way).  I even tried with and without changing the class, to see if that makes any difference.  Nope.  What am I doing wrong?

As for Dangaard, it seems they're actually different enemies.  One is the front view Dangaard, and the other is side view Dangaard.  Only side view Dangaard drops EXP (which means 8A is 0 EXP no matter what level).

Edited by hmsong

Hey.

I'm trying to put the Magic Pots in the final dungeons, and I'm having trouble putting one in an area.  Specifically, I want to put it in map 1086 (near the dead-end door), but whenever I put it, it gets behind the layer and therefore, inaccessible..  If I disable one of the layers, I can see the Magic Pot, so I know I got the location right (in X/Y axis).  Could you please tell me how I could get the Magic Pot sprite to the foreground, therefore accessible for the normal gameplay?

Nvm.  Figured it out.  Thanks.

Edited by hmsong

Well, I at least solved one problem I was trying to solve.  I said earlier that I'm trying to mess with the trap rooms (so that it wouldn't trigger).  I figured it out.  As suspected, it's the beginning script.  And that's found here:

1.thumb.png.0504215b6ee44a8a522b38ab8cbd8402.png

I used it to not only disable some trap rooms, I made it so that my Black Rabite patch would use the cool script that the original Duran/Angela path had (that's the picture above).  I figured that you might want to use this info for your Black Rabite patch or any other cool things.

Did you check how that event interacts with trap rooms if the Black Rabite has already been beaten in a different place?
E.g. you beat BR in his original spot and then trigger the same event in a later trap room with another BR placed among the mobs.

4 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

Did you check how that event interacts with trap rooms if the Black Rabite has already been beaten in a different place?
E.g. you beat BR in his original spot and then trigger the same event in a later trap room with another BR placed among the mobs.

I know that once you beat the black rabite in the original room (or even in the new Mana Holyland room), that dialog doesn't come up again.  For example, if you beat the Black Rabite in the original Dragon's Hole, then the event I selected for my new patch doesn't play out (although you can still fight Black Rabite, since I specifically made it so that it respawns -- I did this so that people don't have to reset the game if it doesn't drop the chest -- I wish I knew how to make the BR drop the chest at 100% rate).  To answer your question, I don't know how it'll react if BR is placed among the mob though.  I'm guessing the beginning dialog gets activated as long as you don't get that "victory dance" thing that's specifically related to that specific beginning dialog.  So for example, in your BR patch, I'm guessing the fight ends with the typical 0E00 ending script, instead of original Black Rabite's 46E9 ending script.  If my guess is correct, you'll continue to get the beginning dialog, since the fight didn't end with 46E9 ending.  This is just my guess though.

The problem for your BR's fight location is, it is held in one of the maps where you have access to in the first visit.  I think the script will enact, even in the first visit (without the BR mob).  I had similar trouble too, since I originally placed my BR in map 582, but after playing a bit, I realized that the beginning dialog plays out in map 249 too (they share the same map).  Ultimately, I had to change the location entirely to map 618, since that map doesn't share with other maps.

Edited by hmsong

6 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

eh, that is just an optional fight. I've planted black rabite proper on the required path.

Oh yeah (the mandatory fight where the locked door opens).  Still, even that path didn't have the beginning script (and it shares the same map as the first visit to holyland).  Well, I guess that can't be helped, since you probably wanted Black Rabite to guard that door.  And you wouldn't be able to change that ending script either (beating the enemy unlocks the door).  Hmm.  Still, having that optional fight (BR + 2 bosses) in some isolated place would allow you to use the cool script.

In any case, perhaps you can use the "beginning script" to increase the pleasure of some parts of the game (not limited to BR fight).  I felt that I should post the method, in case someone (mainly you) wanted to modify things.  I remembered you saying that you didn't know how to modify the "trap" rooms, which is the same as the beginning script.  I'm not sure if you would use it, but just in case.