hmsong

Hmsong's non-SoM patches

237 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, hmsong said:

Oh, okay, so please correct me if I'm wrong:

Currently, D0CADB's value is A9 65 00.  So... I'm supposed to change it to A9 FF 00? (which will result in 254 instead of 100?)

Sure.

The instruction before LDA #$0065 is STA $1C (which is apparently pointing to 000E1C?), but the value is 3B 18 69 08.  I have a feeling I'm looking at something completely unrelated.

I meant the value that is in A when we get to the JSL, so the LDA is the right one.

Wait, so for Aura Wave edit, I replaced the 4-byte values at 10E589 to 22 30 F1 13 (and 13F130 to B1 34 18 69 06 D1 36 90 02 B1 36 91 34 6B).  Was I supposed to replace the values of 10E589 to 22 30 F1 D3?

Yes.

I see.  Thank you for your help.  That'll make the normal crit not so common (max = [2 + 22]/254 = ~9.4%), which is a lot more sane.

Hmm.  So if I were to change the crit to be based on 254 (instead of the original 100), how would that affect Energy Ball?  I remember you telling me that you made the bug-fix patch's Energy Ball to normal crit +10% (just like Sin of Mana).  But if I make crit based on 254, it won't be +10% -- it'll only be +3.9% (10/254 = 3.9%).  Right?  How would I be able to change the Energy Ball's critical bonus rate?

Energyball sets your crit rate to 50, in this case ~20%.
The saving happens at D0/E580.

If you want to look where that value came from you may want to put a breakpoint execute there, check Logging:CPU (preferably only close to the end of the spell animation) and then check the output log in the log folder.

Okay, I put a breakpoint at D0E580, and did so near the end of the spell animation of Energy Ball.  I see <rom name>.usage file in the Logs folder.  How do I open it?  I opened it with Notepad, and all I got was some weird texts, so I'm guessing I'm supposed to use a different program to open it.

Hmm.  Perhaps the reason I can't find .log file is because I don't know how to use the Logging:CPU function.  How do I do that?  I don't see any button that says, " Logging:CPU" or anything close to that.

In the window where you set breakpoints there's in the middle a section with the header logging.
Check the box next to CPU and all instructions will be written to <rom name>_0000.log.
The logging ends when you uncheck that box.

Wuw... that's a lot of logging.  And I can't even tell what's what.

Btw, I see that you updated your bug fix patch to 1.3b.  What has changed?  I don't see any difference in the description.

Awesome.  Thank you.

Btw, the patch seems to only reduce effects for Power Up/Down, but not other stat up spells.  So questions.

1. For vanilla, did Protect Up/Down and Mind Up/Down also change their stats by 33%?  (You already insinuated that Speed Up/Down didn't change anything, even when Agi/Eva were enabled, so let's put that aside)
  2. For other spells and items that changes Powers (such as Hawkeye's Water Jutsu, Black Curse, and various magic items), would that also be reduced to 20%?

4 hours ago, hmsong said:

For vanilla, did Protect Up/Down and Mind Up/Down also change their stats by 33%?  (You already insinuated that Speed Up/Down didn't change anything, even when Agi/Eva were enabled, so let's put that aside)

Def change was 25%, magic I think 25% for damage, 20% for defense.

4 hours ago, hmsong said:

For other spells and items that changes Powers (such as Hawkeye's Water Jutsu, Black Curse, and various magic items), would that also be reduced to 20%?

They all use the same value, so yes.

Heh, it seems like that vanilla's 33% power boost was more like an error than anything else.  Thanks for telling me.

I'm gonna take down the No Skill Counter and TransShape fix from my patch, since your bug fix patch is simply better.  But may I have your permission to include the Aura Wave mod for my balance patch?

I don't know how complicated the "cast time in menu" fix is, but if possible, could you include that in the next fix only patch?  I feel like that's one of the more obvious glitches in the game.

Heh, it seems like that vanilla's 33% power boost was more like an error than anything else.

I'm quite certain it was done on purpose.
They knew that magic was OP in Secret of Mana so they tried to be cautios here, too much really.

I'm gonna take down the No Skill Counter and TransShape fix from my patch, since your bug fix patch is simply better.  But may I have your permission to include the Aura Wave mod for my balance patch?

Go ahead.

I don't know how complicated the "cast time in menu" fix is, but if possible, could you include that in the next fix only patch?  I feel like that's one of the more obvious glitches in the game.

Very complicated, and it stays where it is.

Thank you.

7 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

Very complicated, and it stays where it is.

Aww.  Oh well.  Thanks anyways.

Thank you very much.  You've been a tremendous help.  Now, I'm just gonna casually enjoy the game.

@praetarius5018

For your bug patch on RHDN, why exactly did you switch the menu name for Death Hand and Dervish?  Here's vanilla:

Menu    Class            Item ID    Upgrade Item       Tech

DL        Deathhand    07           Death Wolf Soul    Seiryuu Death Fist

DD        Dervish         08           Devil Wolf Soul     Suzaku Sky Dance

Seiken Densetsu 3 (J)[Eng][Hack]_00000.png

Yours reverses the "Menu" section (Deathhand is DD, and Dervish is DL).  I mean, there's no particular problem, because Death Wolf Soul still transforms Kevin into Death Hand and all.  It's just that for other characters, their DL item ID is before their DD item ID, and Kevin was no different.  So I just want to know why you decided to switch their menu.

Or did the new Trials of Mana (Switch/PS4) switch DL and DD class or something?

Edited by hmsong

1 hour ago, hmsong said:

Yours reverses the "Menu" section (Deathhand is DD, and Dervish is DL).  I mean, there's no particular problem, because Death Wolf Soul still transforms Kevin into Death Hand and all.  It's just that for other characters, their DL item ID is before their DD item ID, and Kevin was no different.  So I just want to know why you decided to switch their menu.

their spell data reverses

15 minutes ago, praetarius5018 said:

no it doesn't

11C0B0 :should be DD 

11C080:should be DL

i think i make it right.

so? Dervish still learns the list from 11C0B0, that has not changed.
The ONLY thing changed is what is displayed in that menu, absolutely nothing else.

No wait, I get that it doesn't really change anything (so it won't affect the gameplay in any way).  As an analogy, it's as if you made Ninja Master into DD and Nightblade into DL (in the menu) -- it doesn't change anything gameplay-wise.  I'm just wondering the reason you chose to switch Kevin's DL and DD in the menu, that's all.  Since this is a "bug fix" patch, I figured that there was a bug somewhere, where the the name didn't match something, and I missed it.

Btw, this may be something I'm falsely seeing, so could you please tell me if I'm wrong or not?  Just for fun, I upped the starting stats (and the following level up "limits") of all characters -- D13EB0~D14167.  But when I did that, I thought I saw some enemies doing more damage on me (esp magic).  So here's the question:  Do these level-up limits of your characters affect the enemy stats too?  At least for some enemies?

I know for certain that Koren (when you first meet him in the Duran tutorial scenario) did more damage, despite Duran having higher INT stat than the vanilla.

Most enemies follow Lise's stats, 20+ uses her light class, and 40+ her light-light class.
I think the only 2 exceptions were Koren who clones Angela and Heath for Charlie.

8 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

Most enemies follow Lise's stats, 20+ uses her light class, and 40+ her light-light class.

When you said, "most enemies follow Lise's stats", do you mean her base class stats?  As in, if I increase stats from D14108~D14167, it would make normal enemies harder?

Also, because 1.3b was so hard (I was barely doing any damage), so I tried v1.3b and vanilla.  And for whatever reason, v1.3b melee attack is doing only half the damage.  Could you check what's going on?  I feel like instead of halving the critical hit damage, you ended up halving the regular melee attack.

Edited by hmsong

When you said, "most enemies follow Lise's stats", do you mean her base class stats?  As in, if I increase stats from D14108~D14167, it would make normal enemies harder?

I wrote the answer to your question in the part you even quoted...

Also, because 1.3b was so hard (I was barely doing any damage), so I tried v1.3b and vanilla.  And for whatever reason, v1.3b melee attack is doing only half the damage.  Could you check what's going on?  I feel like instead of halving the critical hit damage, you ended up halving the regular melee attack.

I did indeed half all melee damage; regular, Lv1 and crits.
So sounds like it is working as intended.

1 hour ago, praetarius5018 said:

I did indeed half all melee damage; regular, Lv1 and crits.
So sounds like it is working as intended.

Oh, the attached document said, "-changed attack of crits from +50% to +25%".  I thought that was simply the power of the crit attacks, not normal attacks.