Sign in to follow this  
cloudropis

Other FF mods like BNW

2 posts in this topic

I'm about to finish BNW, which I've devoured in less than a week and is probably the best turn based JRPG I've ever played.

What other mods for the FF series have a similar enough design philosophy? By that I mean, having to make meaningful decisions taking into account how every move and characters have well defined niches and tradeoffs, with high enough difficulty to supplement them. In other words, no puzzle-like meme fights with one solution and one solution only, and something harder than vanilla. I'd ask for the kind of enemy AI BNW has that makes random encounters interesting, but it's a shot in the dark. Seriously, the closer it is to BNW the better it is. 

New Threat for FFVII seemed cool but I only gave it a cursory glance, I'm in the mood for some PSX era and FFVII is on sale on Steam for a few hours, is it worth a shot?

New Threat is a phenomenal mod. I highly suggest picking up FF7 on the cheap just for that mod alone. Plus the creator of it is working on a New Threat for FF8 as well. Return of the Dark Sorcerer is another really good one, for FF6. The FF1 "Mod of Balance" by Ludmeister is great, and the Hard Mode mod of Mod of Balance 2.2, done by the_icepenguin is a really fun take on things. Although given how bare bones FF1 is there isn't as much you can do to polish things.