10 posts in this topic

It's about time I got back into the swing of things. After a long hiatus I finally play the game with the cool bits like the Esper Bank and whatnot, and immediately attempt to abuse this to whatever extent the game permits. Also I learn a lot about counters and then start ruthlessly exploiting them. These are vod rips from my Twitch channel, and I'll be streaming off and on when I'm not busy with stuff.

As of this first post there should be three videos up, covering everything up until the actual acquisition of Espers. I've picked the IMRF team and leveled them via my painstakingly stupid and tedious method and let's just say Cyan is done taking shit from the Empire at this point. Just freakin' done.

Couple new videos since uploading.

Opera House through the Imperial Banquet. Some sound issues in the first hour of video #4, everything's fine in #5. Better than fine. Everything's turning up Cyan. See how he laughs as he handles live scorpions! The man is absolutely mad, and indispensable.

Oh right next up is Crescent Island, where Strago is the poor man's Cyan until afterward when he gets a bunch of Lores and becomes the other Cyan.

finally caught up. the chocobo stables near tzen (wob) and mobliz (wor) were re-added at some point. also the kusarigama is a back row weapon.

There's also a stable near Tzen (WoR), and I think always has been, that I just forgot about entirely. I needed the money anyway, in the end. If the Kusarigama/Morning Star are row-ignoring, the Printme isn't saying so. The editor says they are, so I presume it's a formatting error where "Ignores Row" was supposed to extend all the way down but "Dual Wield" wasn't.

Crescent Isle segment. Strago gets dumpstered due to not being able to get SP, he's usually a lot more effective than this.

IAF and FC minus Atma. Gau and Edgar just weren't cutting it, though Terra killing herself was my fault. Things work out better for the new team.

Atmaweapon through the Falcon. Atma doesn't go as well as my test runs, but isn't much of a problem. I fuck up completely in my Dullahan prep and just wing it. I wanted to restart and set up properly but Dullahan is a boring gatekeeper fight and not interesting enough to do "well" unless you go out of your way to get Heiji's Coin and literally throw money at the problem. Money I didn't have anyhow. Plus I won without needing to reset in the end anyway so meh.

From here on out things should get... interesting. In addition to the starting four I picked up Gau and Mog with quick trips to Narshe/Veldt, got Gau's Rages and Mog's Snowman Jazz, and leveled the six characters I have to ~25/24 at the Fanatics' Tower. Yes, really. My main issue here is alternating between streams of appropriate length (at least an hour-ish) and leveling new characters. Level cap will be 25 until such time as I have full recruitment (all 14 characters), but everyone left the WoB at 20/15 or so and will have to catch up in offscreen grinding.

Current thought is Relm -> Strago -> Gogo -> Terra all in one sitting. Getting Relm helps her and Setzer and Strago's a free pickup after that. Gogo would give me some tools to manhandle Phunbaba.

A strategy I thought would work doesn't because either I was lied to or Seraph broke everything (this would not be the first time). Then some other strategies work pretty well, puzzle trolls aside. Also I forget Shadow exists.

Bit of a salty day, aborted an earlier run to start over with a more reasonable progression but still kept complaining about things and then remembering later why the things I complained about worked the way they did. But I did manage full recruitment! So per my rules I can bump the level cap which should make things a lot easier going forward, at least until Kefka's Tower. Lots of things remain: Doom Gaze, Ancient Castle, Cyan's Dream, Hidon, most of the dragons... also looking into making use of EL resets for Locke, Celes, and Mog; I considered it for Cyan but I think I like him better as Stamina for this particular run, especially since I'm about to have no shortage of melee fighters.

Will probably hit up Doom Gaze first and foremost as Relm has languished long enough without her true power and he should be trivial now. Half considering Hidon for the Lores and goodies over Doma for goodies and Alexander, but it's a tough call and it might be better to flip that because of Celes. The Ancient Castle will be a one-stop shop for Locke in particular, and after all that the dragons remaining should be easy to deal with, outside of maybe White-D. Assuming all my plans work as they should (they never do), I'll have the means to trash that dragon and snag a shiny Longinus and Crusader. But probably better to take out at least Brown and Blue first, if not Red.

Testing @seibaby's new patch to make start of battle ATB more consistent with respect to Speed of characters and enemies. So far it seems about right; my party is not lapping the enemy but characters like Locke, Relm, and Shadow are almost always able to get a turn in before more than one enemy has gone. Relm even gets some uncontested wins with Sketch in the Ancient Castle, something that seemed quite rare before. Of course it does mean Strago and Cyan are consistently among the last to act on the first turn, but that seems like the way it should be. Not like Cyan gives a damn, he and Setzer are effectively immortal so they're gonna get their turns eventually.

Looks like you're using some sort of sprite mod to change their appearance. It's rather obvious on Terra where her odd triangle neck-thingy looks like an actual cloak which is a vast improvement. Where did you get that mod, and can you just safely install it over an existing BNW game?

On 6/22/2017 at 2:42 PM, Sines said:

Looks like you're using some sort of sprite mod to change their appearance. It's rather obvious on Terra where her odd triangle neck-thingy looks like an actual cloak which is a vast improvement. Where did you get that mod, and can you just safely install it over an existing BNW game?

They're patches yes but I don't recall quite where they came from except that they were posted to the ID forum for BNW. Try doing a search for "sprite" or something and see what comes up. If nothing else I can probably repost them.

Dragon cleanup, Brown/White/Red. Too lazy to do a Black Heart strategy against White so I just fight him normally. Biggest mistake there was bothering with Carbunkl, not sure why I even thought it'd be a good idea. Other two went pretty smoothly, though Gau ended up doing useless 1/3 moves for most of the battle so the major damage was done by a Red-D-Berserked Celes. Good job taking your first action to Berserk someone on a Vigor build.