Sign in to follow this  
Rowsol

Myria is overtuned

10 posts in this topic

I almost gave up and threw the file in the bin. It took 10 tries or so. Is there no way to get rid of overcast? My characters were about as strong as possible. To compare, I just beat kefka which took one try. The only other fight which took more than one try was Ashura, or whatever the guy who freezes you is called. As soon as I took off reflect rings that fight was easy.

Okay, while Kefka did indeed fall in one attempt some of the other bosses took a few tries but I never got frustrated or felt they were unfair. Myria is really the only one I would call unfair. 

Edited by Rowsol

Hmm... 

Interesting to say the least, given that I'm  doing the final bosses right now myself and it's the exact opposite for me. I beat the Warring Triad either on the first try or the second, they never felt overwhelming even for sub-optimal parties. On the other hand, still haven't beaten Kefka, and I've tried with many parties. Just can't find a strategy around spells like Meteo/Meteor that none of my guys can survive, the aoe non-elemental damage the final boss tower throws at you is a freaking nightmare. Although my EL levels are a bit below the expected, I'm very surprised to find the only boss I've had to try multiple times at the very end. Seems fitting, though. What was your strategy for Kefka? Maybe you just got lucky? Or do you have enough HP to not die to the aoe's?

Funny Myria was the easiest of the warring Triad for me, I found Isis more annoying if she keeps charming your character and make them cover her.

Same here, had a hell of a hard time with Myria but beat Kefka and the rest of the Triad in my second try.

My strategy for Kefka was simply having the bois equip multiguards and have Celes spam runic to absorb all the Meteors he cast, casting Rerise with Setzer whenever runic wasn't up, having Strago cast Black Omen or Holy Wind and throwing tinctures and X-Potions whenever needed.

I guess what really screwed me over with Myria was the fact that I fought her with the party that had Shadow and Cyan in it, S.Cross and Aero dealt tons of damage to them and the inherent Haste barely gave me time to heal. I think simply removing that inherent Haste should make her a lot more manageable

But the mere fact that people are having wildly different&unique experiences with different bosses, depending on their party comps and setups and whatnot, is more a sign of varied&complex gameplay rather than something inherently problematic. 

I also found Myria to be the hardest boss in the game. I used Gau (Ninja rage - damage, protection from Zombie), Setzer (Seraph - Rerise and protection from Zombie), Strago (double casting Dark, wearing a Ribbon), Gogo (Slots for heals, magic for Rerise, Tools for defibrillator, wearing a Ribbon).

I can't imagine beating her without Celes/Setzer(Seraph) and Gau to protect from Zombie - I only had 2 ribbons for my other two party members, and I wasn't about to trade ??? for a third one. I originally had Cyan in this party instead of Setzer but I left and brought him in to help.

I went on to beat the other Triads and Kefka on my first try.

Just fought the Triad tonight, and maybe I just had a lucky run, but Myria was a cakewalk. Party was Edgar, Mog, Celes and Relm. I more or less just Regen'd and Hasted everyone, applied spot heals as necessary, and chucked a Holy Water whenever someone hit 0. Phantom Celes DPS'd with Excalibur (though I'm curious if Illumina might have had more bite with enough Holy procs over time), Siren Edgar ran mostly support, with the odd Flash here and there, Relm Flared and reapplied RegenX as needed, and Maduin Mog grooved on whatever he was feeling (mostly Forest Suite). Burned through about 6 or 7 Holy Waters, I think? There's a good bit of healing/support/DPS redundancy across this group, so that helped.

I'd rather toss Holy Waters than guard against Zombie in this fight. You get to keep some of your buffs this way (Haste for sure; not sure about Safe or Shell). I thiiiink the ATB gauge also doesn't reset when Zombie is removed, so you can really keep the pace going if you can keep on top of it.

Isis was another cakewalk with Sabin/Terra/Setzer/Strago (team Kaiser). Strago spammed Refract and Reflect, with some Black Omen during downtime, Setzer Blackjacked and spot healed, Terra spammed Break (I forgot to buy Ultima for her before I walked into the fight because I'm a dummy), along with spot heals and Reflect support, and Sabin mostly recharged everyone's batteries (and spent about half the fight Charmed). Reflect kept Berserk (and other nasties) at bay, so Love Token was a non-issue. Charm was a mild nuisance, but Terra just took down anyone if they got too uppity (lesson: do not bring Fixed Dice into this fight). It was a bit slow going with Break as a primary DPS source, but at no point did I feel threatened.

Asura took me a couple of tries though. The party here ended up being Cyan, Shadow, Locke and Gau — a slight miscalculation on my part. Gau was the only one with Ice immunity, and magic defense in this group isn't exceptional. There was usually one person face down on any given round, and I had a wipe the first time when Absolute 0 caught me without any Reraise applied, slaying everyone but a Raged Gau (who quickly fell to something else after that). I was also getting woefully low on MP recovery items by this point, and Reraise spam from Shadow isn't exactly MP-thrifty. In the end, it was probably Conjurer Gau's insistence on repeatedly Reraising Locke that saved the day.

For reference, everyone's level was sitting around 29-30, so about on target for the area.

4 hours ago, SirNewtonFig said:

Phantom Celes DPS'd with Excalibur (though I'm curious if Illumina might have had more bite with enough Holy procs over time)

If you are 2-handing it and not hitting the damage cap (and make sure you have MP for crits) Excalibur is usually* more damage than Illumina unless the enemy is high defense or Holy weak.

*Gear, levels, and other conditions may apply, see store for details

3 hours ago, Nowea said:

If you are 2-handing it and not hitting the damage cap (and make sure you have MP for crits) Excalibur is usually* more damage than Illumina unless the enemy is high defense or Holy weak.

*Gear, levels, and other conditions may apply, see store for details

Nah, she was just one-handing it along with a still-cursed Hero Shield (this thing isn't going to uncurse itself, after all).