Sign in to follow this  
Dufaux

How do I prevent Kaiser's meltdown?

5 posts in this topic

I've fought Kaiser a number of times on previous playthroughs and this is the very first time I'm actually having trouble with the guy.

At some point in the fight, I get the message "Kaiser's power levels are going critical. Use the elements to contain it." Shortly after, it uses meltdown and kills my whole party. The problem is, I am using elements. Whenever that message pops up I throw elemental attacks at him like crazy (bolt, fire, aurabolt, bio blaster, pretty much anything) and it melts down anyway.

What am I doing wrong? On my previous playthrough of the same version I never even got that message, I just killed it. And really fast at that.

Remember the old man in the first WoR town? The legend he cites could come in handy, in fact it spells the strategy out for you less-than-subtly. Good thing too, because this is one of those bosses that just kills you if you don't play it his way. Spoiler-tagging the strategy, though mods may want to delete it if the in-game hints are meant to be enough.

Spoiler

I won't disclose the whole mechanic (I actually thought it was pretty easy to understand when you pay close attention to his counterattack habits) but essentially you need to cycle through your different elemental attacks and when you run out of elements, reset the cycle with a non-elemental attack before he unleashes the big stuff. At least that's how I did it. He'll use purge if memory serves and it says he lost the stored energy. 

I tried that approach, he still used meltdown. I hit him with all eight elements, then hit it with a non-elemental and some physicals. It worked for one round, then he used purge, I repeated the cycle, and he used ultima and meltdown instead. I'm stumped

Nope, seems you were correct after all. Thank you.

Spoiler

I forgot to use wind or fire on it a number of times. Also, it seems that the non-elemental attack doesn't have to be necessarily the last, it just has to happen. And the time you have to hit it with all elements seems to decrease with each purge, so it's best to kill it ASAP.

Edited by Dufaux