Sign in to follow this  
hmsong

Magic Shield

13 posts in this topic

What exactly does Magic Shield do?  Specifically, what's the difference between Magic Shield and Mind Up?  They both raise Magic Defense, but Magic Shield doesn't raise Magic Attack, and it's not multi-target.  And it costs 4MP, whereas Mind Up only costs 2MP.  And Magic Shield can only be learned in the final class.  So is there anything that makes Magic Shield so special?

Edited by hmsong

Magic Shield does 4 things in this mod :

-Give the Protect Up buff.

-Give the defensive part of Mind Up.

-Increase the power of Heal Light (this is a different buff than Mind Up and so it statck with Mind Up)

-Increase you max MP and how fast they regenerate.

1 hour ago, Nesouk said:

-Increase the power of Heal Light (this is a different buff than Mind Up and so it statck with Mind Up)

you sure about that?

Oh, my bad.  I was wondering what vanilla Magic Shield does.  Having said that, now that I know Sin of Mana's Magic Shield does that, it sounds awesome -- worthy of final class spell.

1 hour ago, praetarius5018 said:

you sure about that?

Yes.

In vanilla magic shield was only increasing Magic Defense.

Edited by Nesouk

In vanilla there was this weird thing that Mind Up while it raised youe Magic defense/effectiveness, you would heal less (can't remember by how much), while if an enemy used mind down you would heal more (probably the magic effectiveness down part).

I guess Magic Shield was a way to get around that by raising only your magic defense without affecting your heal light power.

Edited by smileless

This just shows how buggy the vanilla game is. :D The reason for the bug is that in the original game, Mind Up reduces the damage you take from spells, and since Heal Light is technically a damage spell, Mind Up also reduces the "damage" inflicted by Heal Light. For the same reason, Mind Down makes you take more "damage" from Heal Light.

7 hours ago, Nesouk said:

Yes.

In vanilla magic shield was only increasing Magic Defense.

I meant the part where it stacks with mind up for heal power.
Heal light should only check for the +m.def part of mind up which is identical to the magic shield version.

2 hours ago, Serafie1999AD said:

This just shows how buggy the vanilla game is. :D The reason for the bug is that in the original game, Mind Up reduces the damage you take from spells, and since Heal Light is technically a damage spell, Mind Up also reduces the "damage" inflicted by Heal Light. For the same reason, Mind Down makes you take more "damage" from Heal Light.

I mean this would make some sense if vanilla allowed you to use heal light as a damage vs undead spell.

Jeez, vanilla has a lot of problems.  Well, one small step at a time.  I want to edit the MP cost of Magic Shield then.  Do you know what the address of MP cost of Magic Shield is?

Edited by hmsong

2 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

I meant the part where it stacks with mind up for heal power.
Heal light should only check for the +m.def part of mind up which is identical to the magic shield version.

Well after testing my bad I was wrong.

Huh.  I guess that would make sense.  I mean, Heal Light penetrates through Counter Magic, so I don't see why it would be affected by Mind Down/Magic Shield.