Sign in to follow this  
RetroNutcase

Dolan: What the actual crap.

15 posts in this topic

So yes, I've read that there's apparently some special puzzle/trick to beating him, but I'll be darned if I can find out what it is. He basically just *obliterates* me with Spiral Moon, doing 999 on his second cast. I've tried using Counters but those seem to do nothing either. I just basically insta-lose the moment he gets to Spiral Moon #2.

This...Isn't fun. This is frustrating.

Spoiler

Look closely what he does between Spiral Moon 1 and Spiral Moon 2. 

I had the same problem when facing him for the first time haha.

Edited by smileless

Spoiler

He casts Energy Ball. Am I supposed to somehow anti-magic that every time? Also from what I'm reading, apparently every God Beast has some kind of gimmick like this to figure out?

I have to admit I'm kinda losing my desire to continue playing this hack because if it's just nonstop bosses with super secret tricks I have to figure out with no real context or conveyance to them, that's...Not fun for me.

To be fair the other god beasts gimmick are way easier to figure out, Dolan is the hardest one to figure.

Spoiler

You have the correct reasoning, you have to dispel Energy Ball but not with anti magic, one hint : the thing that dispel Energy Ball is available to ALL characters, and it's not a consumable.

12 minutes ago, Nesouk said:
  Hide contents

the thing that dispel Energy Ball is available to ALL characters, and it's not a consumable.

Spoiler

and has been considerably buffed compared to vanilla

if all else fails there's the armor that lets you survive death at the cost of MP

Right, I think I figured out what Dolan's gimmick is based on what's been said. How much of a headache can I expect from the other God Beasts if I can get past him? And the remaining story bosses/end bosses? Because I'll confess I actually kinda ragequit live on Dolan after dying to him several times.

As I said the Dolan really is the only gimmick which can be hard to figure out, you might have trouble with Mispolm's one, but the other boss gimmick are more evident.

On story bosses the only ones were gimmick can be rough to figure are Dragon Emperor's story bosses and Dragon Emperor himself, maybe Archdemon to, the other doesn't have hard gimmick to figure.

Honestly, once you realise how limited I actually am with making such gimmicks you'll feel silly.

I can't base it around specific spell effects since most parties don't have access to spell X.
I can't really expect the item equivalents since they are expensive; I've like 220k Lucre on a save that is about to enter the final dungeon where I was super stingy with any spendings, demanding use of multiple items worth 3k per use at the start of godbeasts would be super rude then.

Specific armors or weapons? Most are just modifying damage output or intake.
And requiring an armor with e.g. at least heavy magic def class independant of actual m.def resulting from it (guy with 15 PIE and heavy armor takes 100 damage, guy with 33 PIE and medium-heavy armor takes 999?) would be plain bullshit to figure out.

Doesn't really leave much to use here, right?

3 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

Honestly, once you realise how limited I actually am with making such gimmicks you'll feel silly.

I can't base it around specific spell effects since most parties don't have access to spell X.
I can't really expect the item equivalents since they are expensive; I've like 220k Lucre on a save that is about to enter the final dungeon where I was super stingy with any spendings, demanding use of multiple items worth 3k per use at the start of godbeasts would be super rude then.

Specific armors or weapons? Most are just modifying damage output or intake.
And requiring an armor with e.g. at least heavy magic def class independant of actual m.def resulting from it (guy with 15 PIE and heavy armor takes 100 damage, guy with 33 PIE and medium-heavy armor takes 999?) would be plain bullshit to figure out.

Doesn't really leave much to use here, right?

Oh I'm pretty sure I figured out Dolan's gimmick. I'm just wondering how rough it'll be with the others. 

Spoiler

Particularly because some bosses sound like they borderline require anti-magic?

Also, Dolan basically requires a Lv3 tech to disrupt his Energy Ball, from what I've seen. I do feel like hints could be a bit better worded, or even have bosses get some kind of description that hints at them.

Example for Dolan.

"The God Beast of the Moon is able to focus his power through a particular skill, making his next strike all but fatal no matter the victim's defenses. One would do well to find a way to disrupt his focus. Perhaps one could follow his example, and unleash all of their strength in a single powerful blow after Dolan focuses his power, but before that fatal strike?"

I did kind of spoil myself by watching the other god beasts and they do seem a lot more straightforward, except for a couple where I couldn't figure out what their special mechanic/gimmick was. Those being Zable Fahr and Lightgazer. What should I know going into those fights?

Edited by RetroNutcase

16 hours ago, RetroNutcase said:

Oh I'm pretty sure I figured out Dolan's gimmick. I'm just wondering how rough it'll be with the others. 

tbh. Dolan is one of only two that can outright kill your party if you fail the gimmick.
and the other (Mispolm) you may even not see if you do the obvious.

Spoiler

that is cure status effects

16 hours ago, RetroNutcase said:
  Hide contents

I did kind of spoil myself by watching the other god beasts and they do seem a lot more straightforward, except for a couple where I couldn't figure out what their special mechanic/gimmick was. Those being Zable Fahr and Lightgazer. What should I know going into those fights?

Spoiler

Zable: Watch your HP%.

Lightgazer: those green numbers seem awfully off, don't they?

2 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:
  Hide contents

Zable: Watch your HP%.

Spoiler

I've defeated Zable-Fahr several times before, and I still don't understand this tip. What I usually do is equip everyone with Wishbones to protect from Death Spell, give everyone gear with high magic defence, and make sure to remove anyone's weakness to Dark. Make sure you also have spells, because the right head has immense physical resistance.

21 minutes ago, Serafie1999AD said:
  Hide contents

I've defeated Zable-Fahr several times before, and I still don't understand this tip. What I usually do is equip everyone with Wishbones to protect from Death Spell, give everyone gear with high magic defence, and make sure to remove anyone's weakness to Dark. Make sure you also have spells, because the right head has immense physical resistance.

Spoiler

Simple, the lower her HP get, the stronger the main head become.

that's only half if it

Spoiler

main head deals more damage the lower it gets AND adds all missing HP of the target to the damage.
sitting at 500/900 HP? you take +400 damage compared to 900/900 and most likely die.

I've never understood the complaints about Dolan. When I first played I game overed not because of his gimmick (which I had no idea existed until checking the forums), but rather because I overestimated my heal light cast speed

I guess it depend of playstyle, I wasn't using tech that much on my first playthrough, so I got wiped out by his gimmick plenty of time, and it's kinda frustatring due to the lack of clue, but yeah if you had an heavy tech build I can see the player avoiding his gimmick potentially without even realising it exist.