Sign in to follow this  
AuthenticM

What is next for Brave New World?

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I beat Brave New World the other day, and it was absolutely fantastic. It's better than the vanilla game, and helped me rejuvenate my love of the game. Congrats to everyone involved!

So now that 2.0 is out, what is next for the mod? Is there a 3.0 planned? Or is it pretty much it for the mod?

Maybe it's selfish of me to say, but I'm honestly hoping that there is more to come. I would love to revisit the game a couple of years down the line, and find it to be bigger and better still.

On a side note, I read that Brave New World was designed to be able to work on the Super Nintendo hardware, which I am sure limited creativity somewhat. Does BTB wish to continue to uphold this design guideline? It's very cool that BNW can be played on a real Super Nintendo, but now that 2.0 is out and is just the best version of the mod yet, I was thinking that maybe a potential 3.0 version could transcend what the Super Nes is capable of in order to deliver a new experience.

In any case, thank you very much to BTB and everyone who was involved in this mod. It was a fantastic experience to go through.

Cheers

Edited by AuthenticM

There's a 2.0.1 planned with a set of bugfixes slated sometime eventually soon but beyond that, there's no further plans for the game.

2.0 was in development for nearly a year and a half.  I don't think anyone wants to open the Pandora's box again for the forseeable future.

I've been pretty consistent in my request for some sort of end-game challenge dungeon. It's the #1 thing that would make my favorite mod even better.

In RPGs, you're mostly finished with the character progression systems around the time you get to the end game / side quest area. In Final Fantasy VI, this would be around the time you get the Falcon.

But in Brave New World character builds are really only starting to take off at this point. Many builds rely on espers and gear that you don't even receive until midway through the final dungeon.

This means that the player never really gets to enjoy their fully built out characters for very long. This is a disappointment since it's a bit of an anticlimactic end to the character progression system when, for example, you've been building a Mage Terra for 60 hours and you finally get Ultima with only a handful of bosses left in the game to use it on.

It doesn't even have to be anything super formal. Maybe it could use some sort of system like T-Edition where you port your save file over to another ROM file that just starts at the dungeon. Would love to see something like a better done Dragon's Den with some really interesting scripted battles. Make it much more challenging than the rest of the content in BNW.

Once we have a place like this to flex our muscles it'll make it easier to go back and take a look at ways to flesh out and improve the existing builds. For example, Gau's design of "Stamina ELs in WoB and then reset and Speed ELs in WoR" needs a rework.

Edited by Reiker

BTB has been just as consistent at saying he hates challenge dungeons and in general, challenge stuff that is harder than the final boss of the game.  BNW's "challenge dungeon" is Kefka's Tower.  There's also half a dozen ways to impose restrictions on BNW and make it truly difficult.  As well as NHT.  If you want to scratch the challenge itch, that's the way to do it.