Sign in to follow this  
praetarius5018

Road to 2.0

244 posts in this topic

That would not only be a ton of work, the result would also be grindy as hell.
You have the same amount of content but need to level twice as many characters - party is limited to 3 characters so you'd need to take your B-team through everything you already did and especially make up for the exp lost from not facing the bosses.

Even if that was possible, one playthrough would be 70% extra grind and over twice as long as one playthrough now.

And that ignores the plotpoint of how the fairy has to choose one idiot to survive.

Well, as far as "grind" is concerned, you can just increase the exp/gold drop (and the starting stat).  But as you said, fairy will have to choose the main character.  So you choose the first 3 character, but the other 3 will join/part along the way -- Duran in Molebear Land, Angela in Dwarf Tunnel (where you fight Machine Golems), Kevin in Ghost Ship, Carlie in Lamplight city (forgot name), Lise in Rolante Hideout, and Hawk in Rolante Castle.  I'm sure there are numerous ways to get around that, as far as plot is concerned.

If you decide to actually attempt this, then I'll work on the detail of exactly when characters leave/join (that's the easy part).

But as you said, I guess the programing all that stuff will be near impossible.

It'd be another story if there were proper tools for hacking this game...but seeing how it's such a technical mess it's pretty obvious why there aren't, I guess.

I know you already improved Half Vanish so that it'll affect bosses.  But you can use the former Half Vanish's effect to Hawk's trap spells, except instead of doing %-dmg of current HP, you can have the traps do %-dmg of max HP.  Just use "0A" for the 9th byte, instead of "0B".  You can even give it some element so it'll be affected by the day (already tested and confirmed).  However, just like the original Half Vanish, it won't affect the bosses.

2 hours ago, hmsong said:

I know you already improved Half Vanish so that it'll affect bosses.  But you can use the former Half Vanish's effect to Hawk's trap spells, except instead of doing %-dmg of current HP, you can have the traps do %-dmg of max HP.  Just use "0A" for the 9th byte, instead of "0B".  You can even give it some element so it'll be affected by the day (already tested and confirmed).  However, just like the original Half Vanish, it won't affect the bosses.

The thing is, those trap spells are very useful on bosses, especially Gorva and Tzenker in the mid-game. Plus, with Arrows hitting against physical defense, Poison Bubble hitting against magical defense, and Half Vanish doing HP-based damage, Wanderer has a simple damage spell for pretty much every occasion, and it would be nice to keep that diversity.

4 hours ago, hmsong said:

I know you already improved Half Vanish so that it'll affect bosses.  But you can use the former Half Vanish's effect to Hawk's trap spells, except instead of doing %-dmg of current HP, you can have the traps do %-dmg of max HP.

He has his final weapon for exactly that effect.

4 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

He has his final weapon for exactly that effect.

Ah, so it's already being used.  I didn't see it in the change log (or maybe I missed it), so I thought I should bring it up.  I'm just generating ideas.  Then again, of course you would have figured out anything I can think of.

Another idea.  How about creating a spell which actives the treasure trap wheel? (target is enemy)  And depending on what the player selects, it activates different trap spell (or any other spell).  You can probably use the slots for Trap Level 1 and Trap Level 2 (Genova uses that).  Trap Level 1 can have Arrow, Spike, and Smoke, while Trap Level 2 can have Stone, Bomb, and Mr Death God (which slot comes up depends on Luck).  Or hell, you can also have OK slot, which is basically a dud (doesn't activate anything and ends up wasting time and MP).  On the other hand, when an enemy uses the spell on you, you can purposely select OK to make the enemy spells miss.

It'd be neat to have Ogre Mimic and Kaiser Mimic that will fight by your side (similar to how enemies can spawn enemies), but I'm guessing that's pretty much impossible to work with, given how the game can only have 3 enemies on the screen.  Not to mention you'd have to program an AI to fight by your side and attack enemies.

Edited by hmsong

Considering how dangerous for the game the level up screen in the Dangaard fight is - which made me drop exp gain to 0 for him - I expect such a wheel spin to be much, much worse.

I noticed that for the 9th byte of the spell definition (the one that decides what the spell does -- damage, buff, debuff, heal, etc), some values aren't used.  12 is for fixed damage (not sure how the damage is calculated), and I think 17 is unfinished Detect spell (it tells the current/max HP of the target and perhaps weakness, but it also has some weird texts too).  Perhaps you can apply some of those for SoM 2.0.

There’s something visual that always bugged me very lots when playing Seiken Densetsu 3 … maybe someone here knows why this is the case, and maybe this could even be fixed in Sin of Mana. And I’m not talking about the menu, don’t get me started … that’s probably the very worst part of Seiken Densetsu 3 though I fear this cannot be fixed as it would probably be a hell of a job.

The second party member’s HP/MP/etc is aligned to the very right border of the screen. The third party member’s HP/MP/etc has some space (padding?) to the left border of the screen (which looks very much better). Do you think it would be possible to move that second player’s HP/MP/etc some bit to the left?

EDIT: Same is true for the shop menu, the GP/money box on the left, and Buy/Sell/Back selection menu on the right, as well as some yes/no boxes on the left (“Sent to storage?”, “Purchase this armor/weapon a second time?”). I can think of other occurences of boxes aligned too far to the right border of the screen, e.g. the ship menu (which port, yes/no) … and probably there’s one or two more.

sd3.gif

Edited by fooness
added more information

On 6/30/2020 at 2:23 PM, fooness said:

The second party member’s HP/MP/etc is aligned to the very right border of the screen. The third party member’s HP/MP/etc has some space (padding?) to the left border of the screen (which looks very much better). Do you think it would be possible to move that second player’s HP/MP/etc some bit to the left?

No idea.

Instead I leave this here.

5f01e00c1547b_SeikenDensetsu3(J)_sinofmana044.png.f7ad517aa1d2feaf7060298324762dc1.png

1 hour ago, praetarius5018 said:

No idea.

Instead I leave this here.

5f01e00c1547b_SeikenDensetsu3(J)_sinofmana044.png.f7ad517aa1d2feaf7060298324762dc1.png

Oh boy, that looks handy as fuck

The only thing I can't do there item wise is differentiate between the 24 class specific weapons..
so if someone has a better name than just "Champion" for those, feel welcome to write it. Char limit 15.

6 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

The only thing I can't do there item wise is differentiate between the 24 class specific weapons..
so if someone has a better name than just "Champion" for those, feel welcome to write it. Char limit 15.

Maybe "Ultimate" or "Unique Effect"? Alternatively just leave the original names since they'll be the only ones left with those

Well some ideas :

Duran :

Paladin : Deadly Undead

Lord : Free Counter

Swordmaster : Critical only

Duelist : Proxi Tech Up

Kevin :

God Hand : Counter Extend 

Warrior Monk : TP Heal Boost

Death Hand : Armor Breaker

Dervish : Berserk Wolf

Hawk :

Wanderer : Full Vanish

Rogue : Critical Spell

Nightblade : Desperate Tech

Angela :

Grand Divina : Painful Saber

Archmage : Super Weakness

Rune Master : MT LV3 Spell

Magus : Full MT Damage

Carlie :

Bishop : Fighting Cleric

Sage : Team Regen

Evil Shaman : Weaken Ennemy 

Lise :

Vanadis : Sabered Summon

Star Lancer : Speed Cast UP

Dragon Master : Antimagic 2

Fenrir Knight : Healing Counter

No ideas for Ninja Master and Necromancer.

14 minutes ago, Nesouk said:

Well some ideas :

Duran :

Paladin : Deadly Undead

Lord : Free Counter

Swordmaster : Critical only

I can only have one and the same name for all of them, not one for each

7 hours ago, Kei said:

Maybe "Ultimate" or "Unique Effect"? Alternatively just leave the original names since they'll be the only ones left with those

dunno, would be weird to have a proper weapon name and then 4x effect names instead of item names

Edited by praetarius5018

15 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

dunno, would be weird to have a proper weapon name and then 4x effect names instead of item names

You're right. I'd go with something like Unique Effect or Special Effect then, can't think of anything better right now

7 hours ago, Kei said:

You're right. I'd go with something like Unique Effect or Special Effect then, can't think of anything better right now

Considering the history of this project I should go with something like "RTFMN" as those titles :D