Sign in to follow this  
blitzkingjecht

Stuck at floating continent

14 posts in this topic

Hey! I decided to do another playthrough of the game, but this time I get stuck at the floating continent. Directly after the events that take place that cause Kefka to move the statues, my game will not load. I've tried different roms, thinking it might be that but I haven't been able to get it to work. It doesn't freeze, but it just decided to stop loading the animation for him to move the statues. 

I'm currently using ZSNES as my emulator. 

Any ideas what the issue is?

Could also potentially be a bad rom or something, so you might need to try patching the game again to a fresh rom. (Saves are fine as long as the rom name is the same as it was before.)
I know zsnes isn't the most accurate emulator, but it should still be able to play the game from start to finish with no problems as far as I know, just some badly emulated sound effects. lol

Sadly, no, it's an event freeze looks like... Somehow...wtf. I did do some event work around there in one of the previous releases but I'm sure I tested it, like more than once. Some mistake, I'll look into it now.

Edit: I'm not too sure now what the issue is, I had it freeze there the first time after seeing this thread, but now I can't seem to trigger it. I'll continue to look into this, I thought maybe I overwrote event data somewhere/somehow, but I'm just not sure.

fml there it goes again, okay will report back once I figure this out...It seems like if I do a save state before that whole event and load from that, the freeze does not happen. But if I go from the legit save point before the event or just no save at all it does, which makes no sense. Or actually no, just tried from the closest real save this time and no freeze, still not sure wtf this could be.

Edited by Gi Nattak

I've loaded from both a hard save and a save state, without any luck. Should I wait for an update, or should I try a different emulator? Also, I don't think it's a bad rom. I've tried other roms but they still have the same issue. I don't know if my items would effect the event itself (i doubt it) but I can provide you my equipment list if you'd like. I'm just trying to find a common thread here.

From my testing here, it does seem to be save-related, seems to happen with old(er) save data, possibly from an earlier version, but once I update the save data (by saving, exiting and re-loading) then doing the event, it runs fine. From looking at the code there's nothing wrong, though I'm not sure why it would freeze there at all... But try (hopefully if you haven't already) to just re-fresh your .srm save data and then run the event, doing that is working for me here and the event continues.

Might you have updated versions at all during your new playthrough perhaps? Or use save data from a previous version/playthrough?

Edited by Gi Nattak

This is a fresh save with a fresh rom with a brand new playthrough. I'm going to try to rename a different rom and load the hard save, which means I have to refight omega :( That's the only other thing I havne't tried.

Ah I see...damn, I'm not sure what's going on then. It seems a bit random for me, but like I say once I do a save at that place before Omega, then restart the game it seems to run fine, also on zsnes here. Not too sure, atm I'm doing a complete fresh speed-playthrough with cheats to get there and see if it does it at all, but it sounds like it just might sense you've done the same thing sounds like, a new fresh playthrough I mean, not cheats lol.
I'll continue to look into this here, the event code there checks out and looks okay...I thought maybe one of those energy particles that swirl out/around the statues might be blocking him depending on when he walks up to it, but no they shouldn't and appear to not be the reason. =/

Edit: on my fresh new playthrough I'm not getting the freeze, trying different things to trigger it but it's not happening so far.

Edited by Gi Nattak

I'll see if I can grab a screenshot of where he's stuck and then post it here before I continue onward. I have to beat omega again, so it'll probably take me a little while to see if a new save will fix the issue. Thanks for the tips so far. 

EDIT: Huzzah! I was able to successfully go past that event. I can continue now! 

Edited by blitzkingjecht

Woot! Good to hear. I'm still a bit concerned about it possibly freezing, but it seems okay here for me ten times out of ten with my fresh new playthrough, so I'll try and stop dwelling on it lol. The freeze was right after he moves the first statue, after the Zemus battle, when he begins to walk up to the second one to move it. I assume that's where it was freezing for you as well...? 

if you ask me, there's an event that triggers some old value that doesn't match anymore with new version's ones

maybe there also might be some ram variable that isn't saved in SRAM and so loading the game will reset it, using savestate will keep that value?(theorycrafting)

Best damn theory I've heard in a while. I didn't see anything there in the event code at the freezing part though that would indicate this, but maybe it happens before or right after or something I did in the entrance event, I didn't do a super thorough investigation after it didn't happen on a new playthrough.

So, I'll help investigate this one. I used hard saves the whole way and save states but I got to FC in one playthrough. I will attempt another run from the start of the game and see if that duplicates the issue. I'll see if any steps, such as the party I take or the equipment I got makes a difference. 

Personally, I would take the save where it freeze, set breakpoints on the event instructions in back $C0, one breakpoint for the event instruction that precede the freeze and one for the possible freezing event command. You would see where registers get corrupted or find a potential infinite loop.