Sign in to follow this  
ScouSin

Just finished the game, I charted the characters! [SPOILERS]

5 posts in this topic

I wanted to start by saying I beat vanilla FFVI many times over the years, spanning from when FFIII(US) was released.  This is my first hack of the game, and I enjoyed it immensely, to the point that I wouldn't recommend the original over this version.  I was quite satisfied by the time I beat Kefka.

To the topic at hand though, before I ventured into Kefka's tower, I charted each character on a whiteboard (picture attached).  I highlighted their strengths as I built them, and this helped me to build an excellent set of three teams for the venture into Kefka, and eventually helped me to build the winning team on the Kefka fight.  There are a lot of specialties to keep track of, so did anyone else do anything like this?

Character Whiteboard.jpg

He hits hard and you can't control him.  It took me very little time to decide that I need characters who:

1. I can control.
2. Can actually support the team in some way, even a little.

He can stay on the airship.

I definitely did this, but instead of a whiteboard I tried to keep it straight in my head. Lets just say I had to re-consult the printme a lot haha.

Some of the most fun I had with this game is tweaking my own "perfect" 3-team setup for the final tower. I wanted each team to have a tank, a healer, physical dps, magic dps, MP regen, Life 2/Defibrillator, Haste/HasteX, RegenX, offensive(status) support, etc. And of course deciding which team does which route so that I could run through the final dungeon in one run and any team could take on Kefka at lv 32.

I tweaked and retweaked my 3 teams and it was a blast. This game does a fantastic job of balancing things to where there is no clear "best" setup.

I went the digital route and just broke out a good old fashioned spreadsheet.

As this was my first playthrough on BNW ever (Heard about it from the SNESDrunk youtube video) and after reading the readme and printme I knew I was going to need to have a plan otherwise respeccing was gonna cost a pretty penny.

I still ended up spending 225k on respecs but thankfully that wasn't an insurmountable sum later in the game.