Sign in to follow this  
7hawk77

Just beat the game. Appreciation, thoughts and ramblings.

8 posts in this topic

I used to play this game a lot with a friend of mine using 2 controllers and controlling different party members. It had probably been 20 years since I had replayed it. Back then, His favorite character was Edgar and mine was Sabin,  so for my play through, I tried to use characters I didn't often play.

I decided to look for a rom hacked version after playing a rom hacked version of chrono trigger and enjoying that so I decided to see what was out there for this. Happened across this by pure chance.

I absolutely enjoyed all of the changes. I definitely made some mistakes along the way but It was really enjoyable and I doubt I could play the original version again when I'm ready for a replay. I'm definitely recommending this mod to anyone that is looking to play FF6.

First off, I want to say how amazing the changes to Gau are. He was by far my favorite character. I just cranked up speed, and let him crush it. I managed to miss the Cephalid which was apparently pretty powerful early on, but Albatross was good enough. His damage output and versatility just felt really good. The changes to leap were an actual god send. Conjurer reraise spam also helped in the toughest battles.

My final team composition was Gau, Mog, Umaro and Setzer. All of which were absolutely amazing. I kind of messed up by instantly going to get them in the WoR and basically only playing these characters at any opportunity. Most of them were like 38+ level when other characters were in there 20s.

EbCALHD.png

I had planned on using Locke as a healer instead of Setzer, but i just found Go Fish to be so much more reliable and easy. I'm also a kind of impatient player so I do use frame skip a lot, which this team is incredible for.

As far as difficulties I faced. I died once to Atma weapon and then beat is pretty easily after that. I also got all the way to the top of the Magi tower with that group, and then basically got stuck in an infinite elixir spam usage with the magi-master dude. At that point, I got Celes, Terra, Realm and Strago, got them some SP and went back up to get the gembox.

Characters I didn't use:
Shadow - I had planned to use him and went full speed to throw all of the stuff... but then after realizing I didn't have that much stuff to throw and I couldn't rebuy it in WoR (or at least not that i knew of), He just stayed on the airship./

Gogo - I honestly had no idea what to do with this character so he just chilled on the ship.

Builds:

Setzer - Stack magic and go fish spam heal. Start off with RegenX on harder fights and just use items as needed.

Mog - Moogle charm was great so he could weave in item usage as needed. Most of the time I just used the wind song because sun bath is amazing. I also would audible to forest suite if the battle had some bad status effects. I pumped up his stamina + magic which allowed me to power up the dance and actually not stumble.

Gau - I maxed out speed, and then just picked appropriate monsters. I changed the bone club into a magic club. I felt like that if the monster could "counter" attack. Gau would often die so using magical monsters was generally preferable. On hard fights, reraise conjurer spam is just nuts.

Umaro - Plug and play. This dude probably gets overlooked but his damage output seemed higher than any other character. Absolutely carried me through every stage of the game. Even against the Charm goddess, he would just 1 shot the person who is blocking, the reraise would happen and he would be off to the races again smashing face.

For the other characters, I put much less time in to them. I will say Cyan did carry me through some of the mid game. Dude is just a power house.

I went Stamina builds on both Cyan and Sabin and tried to get them to protect some of my casters. Sabin using Mantra and the Mana restoritive was super helpful. Cyan was just kind of an out of combat healer and just beefcake.

Terra, Realm, and Strago were my big nukers/healers. 

Celes, I kind of had points all over. I probably should have respec'd her. I gave her Excalibur but again the damage output felt meh compared to my casters or Umaro/Gau. She kind of just flexed in to whatever roll since she was good at everything.

So I would like to mention, with my play through, I had an incredibly difficult time with the warring triad, mainly because I had really stuck to using the 4 party members I liked. I had to warp out and just fight them with my main party which I did. I died to Kefka once but found him rather easy. My main group was probably level 40 after running through Kefka's tower 4 times or whatever so I was probably just over leveled.

I also didn't use a walk-through and I'm definitely not an expert so It's possible I missed some crucial items or things to do which increased my difficulty. I was going off my memory from 20 years ago, and sometimes turning off the background to check for hidden pathways.

Anyways, feel free to ask me any questions about my play through if you have any.

8zFXmmX.png

Yeah, that's definitely an overleveled main crew - and one hell of an oddball team to take to final Kefka.

You can guy plenty of stuff for Shadow to throw in Jidoor, especially in the WoR. Did you overlook it or just not think Ninjatos were worth it?

On 8/22/2020 at 12:17 AM, BTB said:

Yeah, that's definitely an overleveled main crew - and one hell of an oddball team to take to final Kefka.

You can guy plenty of stuff for Shadow to throw in Jidoor, especially in the WoR. Did you overlook it or just not think Ninjatos were worth it?

I thought I checked Jidoor but now I'm realizing maybe I was checking the item vendor and not the weapon vendor so maybe I just missed it by being stupid.

Looking forward to my next play through, but I'm kind of nervous because I feel like I might have missed a lot of important items or something. Definitely want to use Shadow.

I might use a traditional walkthrough to ensure I don't miss extra stuff. 

Once you finish the game you can see a password that you can use in the "unlockme" archive. In there you can find a .txt file listing every item and where you can find it. I don't think there's a walkthrough for BNW, and since it's so different from vanilla one made for it might not be very useful.

On 8/28/2020 at 10:30 AM, Dufaux said:

Once you finish the game you can see a password that you can use in the "unlockme" archive. In there you can find a .txt file listing every item and where you can find it. I don't think there's a walkthrough for BNW, and since it's so different from vanilla one made for it might not be very useful.

Where will I see this password? I only see "The End"

20 hours ago, 7hawk77 said:

Where will I see this password? I only see "The End"

It's in the ending sequence before that.

3 hours ago, BTB said:

It's in the ending sequence before that.

Thanks! I'll reload my kefka battle and pay more attention. Looking to replay it soon. Also I'm curious what your favorite squad is?