Sign in to follow this  
noonic

Kefka Fight!

1 post in this topic

So I finally beat Kefka.  I've been playing BNW 2.0 on and off for the past few months.  Wanted to share my Kefka experience and tactics and discuss the game generally.

My Kefka Party:
- Mog: Desert Aria for Mirage/Healing, Wind Song for Healing, SlowX for phase 2, Float for phase 1
- Strago: Shield, X-Magic: Dark/Ice2, Holy Wind, Black Omen, Osmose
- Celes: Elemental Magic, Healing, Runic
- Setzer: RegenX, Damage (Dice + Daryl's Soul), Healing (Slots/Magic)

Phase 1:
    Not too bad, Keep your party floated and focus down one thing at a time.
Phase 2:
    Tons of attacks hit you rapid fire in this phase.  Make sure shield is up and SlowX is applied and focus down each thing one at a time.  One of the enemies is weak to Ice which is nice b/c Celes + Strago can take it down fast.  Spam Desert Aria with Mog and hope for Heals/Mirage.
Phase 3:
    Honestly I found this phase the easiest.  I think something was weak to Dark which meant Strago could take it out quickly.  Towards the end I made sure everyone was fully buffed before transitioning.  This helped a bit.
Phase 4:
    After a few failed attempts I realized that the only thing killed me was Meteor + Goner back to back.  So my strategy was to have Celes Runic constantly, heal with Mog dances, Setzer slots and Strago Holy Wind.  It actually worked quite well.  When he purges make sure to reshield.  Slip in a RegenX/Osmose when Runic is down and remedy those status effects.  Setzer was easily carrying the party damage.  Strago slipped in a Black Omen here and there, but I was cheering Setzer's dice the whole time!  Setzer has always been a favorite character and to have him be so impactful in the final fight was a blast.

Overall thank you so much to the development team.  This is the most fun I've had playing a game in years and I had just replayed through vanilla earlier this summer!  The love and knowledge the developers had for the original FF6 is obvious and shines in every surprising and positive change.  If you are reading this and enjoy FF6 or JRPGs, please take the time to give this mod a try.

Also one of my favorite things about the game is how little information there is!  It reminds of the late 90s, scouring the internet for FF6 secrets when everything still felt mysterious.  Painting Gau when he came back on the Veldt and hoping to revive General Leo!  Nowadays as soon as a popular title is released every secret is immediately laid bare, builds are optimized instantly and it's hard to participate in a community and share knowledge in any kind of meaningful way.  Scouring the forums here and sharing tidbits of knowledge is part of what gaming used to be.  Thank you for that experience as well.  You've made an old gamer happy :).