Sign in to follow this  
Dyne

Boomerangs

7 posts in this topic

Boomerangs/Chakrams -- does anyone ever use them?

I'm curious because they never seem to be the best option for anyone. They always seemed outclassed by something else with any character that can use them. Maybe they should be buffed? Or am I just missing something

You give up reliably better damage for defense (back row damage, ignoring melee counters) and fish for throw procs to make up the difference. They don't exist to be anyone's best option (the notion of "best" options is something BNW aspires to avoid in principle), merely to provide an alternate playstyle.

I haven't made all that much use of them either, as my playstyle tends toward the more conventional options, but I've resolved to give them a shot on my next playthrough. A Vigor Terra build, Morphed/Berserked and chucking dual Wing Edges at dragons and other flying things with a few babysitters to keep her upright could be fun.

I agree that the notion of "best" is avoided in BNW, which is a great choice.

I think I should have said that boomerangs never seem to be a "competitive" option. Having multiple competitive options is something this game does very well. But boomerangs always seem straight up outclassed.

That being said, your point about them being a more defensive option is well taken. The back row benefit seems obvious, but I hadn't considered the immunity from melee counters.

I am still curious to know if anyone out there likes using them.

Due to the nature of their damage (high damage from crits), they're always going to look bad on paper since it's necessary to balance them with low attack power.

15 hours ago, BTB said:

Due to the nature of their damage (high damage from crits), they're always going to look bad on paper since it's necessary to balance them with low attack power.

makes sense.

It's all about how you use them.  In some situations they're very good, and in other situations they're just "decent".  What's important about them is they function the way they're advertised.  They rip floating targets to pieces like very few other things.