Sign in to follow this  
Dyne

X-Magic counter attacks

3 posts in this topic

In the current beta version (2.0.1 b12), the first spell of X-Magic seems to be getting counter attacked instead of the 2nd spell. Although sometimes the 2nd spell triggers the counter instead, so its a bit inconsistent.

It can lead to the 2nd spell not happening if the caster is killed or disabled by the counter attack.

Is this intended?

It was a deliberate change, yes. I don't recall the exact rationale myself, but I like it for one main reason: it's harder to game the AI counter script this way. Suppose you want to Slow something that responds by Hasting itself — previously you would just hide your Slow spell with any follow up, and only the second spell would cause any reaction (or potentially none, if it didn't hit a trigger), but now you have to "bait" out the counter with the first spell in order to get your Slow through, perhaps by double casting Slow itself.

Mechanically, the way it works is that the first of the two spells to hit a counter trigger will do so, and once the counter is triggered for a given target, there can be no more counters from that target for the rest of that dualcast action.

Edited by SirNewtonFig