TheRexYo

Vanilla Rage List Reversion?

3 posts in this topic

Is it possible to undo the shortening of Gau's rage list, and if so, how? I know that ROM hacking is possible, but I can't seem to find what values / addresses I need to edit and whether or not I need to edit the .ips patch file or the ROM itself. If anyone here can inform me on the matter, it would be greatly appreciated, though I understand if you aren't able to or simply don't want to / have time to do so.

P.S. - Yes, you are reading this correctly. I do indeed intend to reexpand the list, because I liked having more options in vanilla, and besides, I could just edit some of the enemies to have better rages either way, so duplicity and/or redundancy wouldn't be an issue.

Okay, so. First up, a lot of things have been relocated in the BNW ROM, meaning making changes in an editor is... not very practical. The alternative would be to make the edits in ASM/hex directly, but that's even less practical without an extremely detailed map of where everything is located now. Which isn't exactly available. So what you're looking to do is technically possible, just like it was possible to make things the way they are now in the first place; but it's not a task that you're going to accomplish without a lot of help from the devs.

And after going through so much effort to make things the way they are now, the devs aren't likely to put in yet more effort just to help undo their deliberate changes.

Every mechanical decision in the making of BNW was either about making it as perfectly balanced as possible, or improving the quality of life for the player. Gau has just enough rages now that he has a couple of good tools for every situation; any more would be redundant. Unless they bring options to the table that are even more optimal, in which case the finely crafted balance becomes impacted. Additionally, more rages means more rage hunting, more menuing, less likelihood of memorizing what things do (which means more referencing the printme), etc, all of which which impacts the quality of life.

In short, probably not happening.