Sign in to follow this  
diekthx

Wrexsoul Is The Worst

8 posts in this topic

As the title says, I think Wrexsoul was absolutely awful, and with no real way to escape DreamWorld before going through him...he is really a hardgate.  

I think the most frustrating part of him is just how fast his adds are.  They already hit hard, and it can be mitigated decently, but their speed is insane.  I really believe that needs to be toned down a bit.

Hell, trade speed for more damage (since Wrexsoul gimmick is someone dying anyway).  It would at least give some breathing room.  

Instead, a bombardment of AoE is just hard to keep on top of with only three characters. 

Though, one thing (unless it's hiding somewhere), is adding another ghost (or changing item shop ghost since he sells nothing worthwhile anyway) to remove party member equips instead.

Having access to my full equipment pool would have helped immensely in properly prepping for the fight since party re-arrangement after entering is completely out of the question. 

I will definitely say that this is the first fight I've thoroughly hated.

side note, Bushido GoGo with the right party is MVP. EMPOWERER.

On my last playthrough, I hit a wall at Wrexsoul too. Took me a good 10 tries (maybe more?) to bring him down.

There's three ways to run this fight. You can play to his gimmick, killing off your party members until he emerges, and fighting him for a while when he reappears until he repeats the cycle anew.

Or you can ignore him entirely, fighting only the soulblazers, if you can keep them from killing your team.

Or you can run just the first cycle of his gimmick, trap him when he emerges, then beat him to a pulp.

The key to option 3 is to use his offense against him. The rest will soon be apparent.

6 minutes ago, SirNewtonFig said:

The key to option 3 is to use his offense against him. The rest will soon be apparent.

Hm?  I may have also been under-leveled, though really (but again, this is one of the only places you *can't leave* once you enter)...some of my better equipment for this fight was on other people when I went through Locke cave.  

What's the recommended level for WrexSoul?  Because I can't imagine doing it with any other party at the moment than the one I did it with.  Just, no way.  It would have ended painfully every time.  

11 minutes ago, SirNewtonFig said:

Who do you have, and what are your levels?

Terra 28/19 (I actually started playing this ROMHACK just because I missed my waifu in her game

Celes 30/20  (I am in love with Celes in this version)

and GoGo 27

I also have every character recruited minus Mog, Umaro, and Strago at this point.  

I thought about doing Strago first.  But changed my mind.  

I also do not remember where some of the WoR espers are.  I know of two for sure I have yet to get, but the rest are lost on my currently.  

Edited by diekthx
More info

Oh, you have a great squad for this. Try playing around with Reflect from Terra and Gogo and see if that makes a difference.

Edit: and your levels are roughly on target if you've done most of the WoR by now. The expectation is about 30)20 rolling into Kefka's Tower.

Edited by SirNewtonFig

Oh, I beat it, I was just lamenting on possible changes to make the fight still be the fight, but possibly...less strenuous or, imo, better balanced?  I thought about Reflect, and in fact, ran reflect ring to begin with.  But having some of my better defense relics outside of my reach was extremely painful.   

Also, the adds will counter their reflected spells with Doomy Doom.  My patience was not having it.  

Oh, well, in that case, here's how I'd have done it with that party:

Phase 1: Celes opens with Seraph. Terra and Gogo kill Gogo. Celes reapplies Rerise to Gogo when he's back on his feet. If Wrexsoul appears, proceed to next phase, otherwise repeat with the others until he does and then proceed.

Phase 2: Terra opens with Storm. The Soulblazers retreat behind Wrexsoul, where they will remain inconsequential for the rest of the battle. Celes casts Rasp. Wrexsoul is now trapped. Now you can go one of two routes: beat him down with water/holy, or MP mill him to death.

MP Mill: Terra maintains Reflect on the party, revives as needed, and throws healing items at Reflected allies. Celes and Gogo spam Rasp (or Bushido 2 if Gogo isn't clearing 500 MP on a cast). Holy Wind occasionally from Gogo if you need a group top up.

Beatdown: Terra does the same as above. Wrexsoul will continue to trap himself with reflected Rasp casts. Celes attacks with Holy or Illumina. Gogo Mimics Holy, or Rages Troll (equip Avenger for X3 holy physicals, and Refract on a 1/3 is a nice perk) or Ninja (fire immunity, which lets you give the Flameguard to one of the ladies, and spams water attacks).

I'm also willing to bet the Ghost merchant is a nod from BTB to there being some strat here involving Ghost Rings on the party, but I never thought to try that. An experiment for my next playthrough, perhaps.