Sign in to follow this  
diekthx

Go To Party?

1 post in this topic

As I am nearing an end to my first run through of this ROMHACK, I thought it would be fun to discuss everyone's go to party for the near end game, when you have most of the equipment/espers established and are ready to tackle Kefka's Tower, and why the character is there, what makes them tick.

This could be good help for others attempting to tackle this ROMHACK as well.

Celes - The Unkillable Goddess
Seriously, Celes built as a FF Paladin is a beast like no other.  
Her ELs are shared between VIG/STM and HP/MP currently, though once i finally reset levels, she'll have more HP and less MP thanks to WoR espers.

For the longest time, I ran her with
Bloodsword/Shield (now Aegis for that Auto-Haste),
Mystery/Oath Veil (more Drain procs), current best heavy armor (Genji)
Black Belt/Hero Ring (now ?????/possibly Stat Stick)

I still can't find a reason to unequip Bloodsword sans going against Undead.  She covers the other members, and counters extremely consistently, and those Drain procs both help her DPS, and constantly keep her sitting at max health.  It absolutely beautiful.
If I can make any recommendations to anyone struggling with the game, Paladin Celes is definitely a beast worth taking. 

Gogo - One With The Magi
Now, Gogo and the next two were chosen purely on the factor of being personal favorite characters , however, Gogo provides another layer of glue with Celes that leads him to being absolutely indispensable in my party.
His unique ability to combine any three skills into his set gives him such varied combinations.
I found comfort with him using Bushido, Blitz, and Magic.  
This has turned him into an absolutely amazing Support role.  
With Relm, Terra, and Celes, he gains access to a wide variety of support/healing magic. 
With Bushido, he gains access to balanced damage attacks, a small sect of other status ailments, and most importantly, Empowerer. 
I've noticed the chance of a boss fight not having MP is extremely slim, so Empowerer off of Bushido gives him near limitless MP despite his slim MP pool, allowing him to drop Reraise/Haste/Regen/Cures to his heart's content.
Blitz gives him Chakra which helps Relm and Terra stay in the fight longer as well, making him the perpetual centerpiece of magic in my party.
He doesn't necessarily have set equipment, but rather cycles his low pool and relics based on the needs of the battle.  Sprint Shoes and Stat Stick are general all purpose goes to, but White Cape serves him extremely well.
I would say my only complaint on Gogo is his inability to equip an Esper which gates him out of essentially a relic, though I don't know if it is possible to give access to espers while locking EL and spellpoints.

Terra - The Glass Cannon
Of course, best girl, and the entire reason I picked up this ROMHACK in knowing she could be constant Morph'd.  Making it work has been difficult, to say the least.
Her ELs are balanced to give her some HP, MP and MAG, as I felt specializing in MAG wasn't worth the pay-off of everything else.
She runs Carbuncle for her Esper, for that auto-regen.
For equipment, she uses
Soul Saber/Scimitar (counters for Osmose procs so she can spend more time spell nuking)
Best Veil/Best Dress (Sword Spellcast and best equip for Magic boosts)
Stat Stick/White Cape (needed HP/MP boosts, plus she benefits from all stats, and Silence immunity)
I try to keep her Morph'd as much as possible although its not usually the best play.  Otherwise, she does what her job is, she's the main bringer of pain in most fights.

Relm - Sketch Isn't Broken?
Finally, Relm.  Thematically, and personailty, I love Relm.  I love her spunk.  I'm not sure I entirely agree with her more aggressive dialogue in BNW script, but it still has her candid 'lets do this stuff' attitude. 
As far as what she brings to the party, she is easily the most replaceable. Sketch is fun, and when it works, Relm easily takes the crown in damage.
But, when it doesn't (I love using elemental skills that the enemy is immune to!), she kind of sits.  Her high magic lets her dish out damage with Fire.
Her unique spell selection helps bolster Gogo's ability to support though, (RegenX and Osmose).
Like Gogo, her equipment pool is small, so it varies based on the situation.  Of course, she always uses a brush.  Off-hand is either a Healing Shiv or an Element Shield (based on the situation).
She really is the most disposable in this group, with other characters giving alternative magic options for Gogo and overall much better utility themselves.

Now, lets hear your party set ups, whatever the reason you chose them.