Sign in to follow this  
Mishrak

Updated Beyond Chaos: Gaiden by Abyssonym

7 posts in this topic

https://github.com/abyssonym/beyondchaos_gaiden/releases/latest

Abyssonym updated the BCG randomizer to work with the latest version of Brave New World!  (b14 at the time of this post) I can’t even begin to express how excited I am for this.  

NOTE: Make sure you’re using the latest version, not version 3!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abyssonym.wordpress.com/2018/04/02/176/amp/

There is the original listing for version 3 of BCG that goes into more detail about what it randomizes. 

I’m looking forward to diving in and seeing what silliness occurs. If there are any balance concerns or bugs that we encounter, let’s use this thread to consolidate them. 

Edited by Mishrak

Bugs

Questions

• Is there a way to tell what randomization was used from looking at a seed? (e.g. .4 or .5)
  • Is there specific and detailed documentation on what exactly is randomized, or does this require looking at the source code?
  • Is it possible to make BCG compatible with Beyond Chaos' aesthetics, particularly the music?

Ideas

• A flag to have steals follow BNW's logic - namely, only available from humanoid enemies
  • No Text Option (would an existing BNW patch interfere with BCG?)

1.png

2.png

Is the fanatix tower available?

As far as I know, it's functional.

The Item Menu patch shows FF6's flags and not BNW's flags.

This patch was made by Myself086 so it would be nontrivial to edit. I just threw it in because it doesn't make BNW crash. If anyone else has a different patch that's better, I'll throw it in, but otherwise I'm not personally inclined to fix this.

Vargas can have an instakill ability that will proc on his scripted attack vs Sabin

gosh I hate tutorial bosses, they are such killjoys for randomizers

Is there a way to tell what randomization was used from looking at a seed?

Not in-game, but the game title in the SNES header will include the value rounded to the nearest hundredth (i.e. "BCG-R 50 1234567890" for a randomization value of 0.5). Most emulators will display this title in some way or another. However, if you use a split/custom randomization, it just gets written as "??".

Is there specific and detailed documentation on what exactly is randomized, or does this require looking at the source code?

No, and I've already forgotten most of it, and in BCG it varies depending on what even can be randomized in the base rom.

Is it possible to make BCG compatible with Beyond Chaos' aesthetics, particularly the music?

Possible, but nontrivial, particularly because BC's music randomization is developed by emberling. I'm not opposed to porting it over, but it would take some effort.

A flag to have steals follow BNW's logic - namely, only available from humanoid enemies

It pains me to compromise BCG's purity in this way, but I must admit that adopting BNW's convention here is the right move, when so many entities in the shuffle will make Steal just straight up whiff.

No Text Option (would an existing BNW patch interfere with BCG?)

I think odds are good that an existing patch will work, with the possible exception of Fanatix mode.