321BoltsOfLightning

Questions regarding Dialog/Script changes and translation patches

4 posts in this topic

Hi, just recently learned about this romhack and after looking around a bit at the readme and such it looks like a lot of fun! At the very least it'll help me look at a new take on ff6's game design, which seems fun.

I just have a couple questions regarding the edits to script/dialogue and the optional patches, if anyone here is familiar with all three. I know that the recent 2.0 tones down a lot of the script changes that turned people off so that seems good, but I would like to know what types of edits are still in, and what's edited/removed in the other two patches. More specifically:

1. How much more vulgar do the edits make the game? What types of swears, how often, how relevant, what sexual references added etc.. I would love specifics if possible! I'm not worried about spoilers.

2. What kinds of meta/4th wall breaking/modern references are in place? I know of a Cyan/Inigo Montoya joke, as an example, which seems great to me now but idk how I'd feel hearing the joke right after Cyan's family all dies (which is where it happens I'm guessing). These kinds of things are sometimes hit/miss so I'd love some more details/examples to see if it'd be my cup of tea or not.

3. What kinds of edits are in the "vanilla" patch? I know it was made in mind with both the original Japanese and the Woolsey, as well as this version's edits (making it seem like possibly a great middle ground?). Does it only remove the meta jokes/references added? Does it also affect the tone/general writing? How does it handle swears/vulgarity/sexual themes? From what it sounds like it still has good dialogue changes/fixes, but is closer to Woolsey's translation in tone/feel. I don't feel necessarily attached to Woolsey's translation per say, but I can see how references or vulgarity could become a problem for me depending on how it's done (especially based on my experience with some other fan translations of other games).

4. I'll probably be using the "clean patch" since I tend to want to avoid excessive swears/vulgarity, are the "vanilla" and "clean" patches compatible? Like, can I put both on at the same time or would that totally mess everything up?

5. Are these language patches safe to add/remove in the middle of a playthrough? I'm assuming not, but I might as well ask in case someone knows haha.

I know that's a lot of questions, but I'd love any input/advice/recommendations! Either way I think I will definitely be playing through at least one of these patches, I just need some help deciding which one(s). 

Edited by 321BoltsOfLightning

1. Honestly, it just sounds to me like how people talk in real life. I don't consider any of it vulgar, but then again I'm the guy who wrote it. If you really have any concerns at all, then Clean New World is what you're after, as it was written by me for an actual child. The "vanilla" patch is simply BNW's base script rewritten to sound more bland so that people think it's the original, except it isn't.

2. No more so than the original game. The Beginner's School is still aware that it exists within a video game, Ultros is still Ultros, and the original game had a Beavis & Butthead reference in it. You'll either catch references or they'll just fly over your head 99% of the time.

3. The vanilla patch was written for Redditors and people from Something Awful - people who are by and large too stubborn to just give the base mod a shot and then just switch to it midway through the game if you find that the writing bothers you that much.

4. See #1.

5. See #3.

1 minute ago, BTB said:

1. Honestly, it just sounds to me like how people talk in real life. I don't consider any of it vulgar, but then again I'm the guy who wrote it. If you really have any concerns at all, then Clean New World is what you're after, as it was written by me for an actual child. The "vanilla" patch is simply BNW's base script rewritten to sound more bland so that people think it's the original, except it isn't.

2. No more so than the original game. The Beginner's School is still aware that it exists within a video game, Ultros is still Ultros, and the original game had a Beavis & Butthead reference in it. You'll either catch references or they'll just fly over your head 99% of the time.

3. The vanilla patch was written for Redditors and people from Something Awful - people who are by and large too stubborn to just give the base mod a shot and then just switch to it midway through the game if you find that the writing bothers you that much.

4. See #1.

5. See #3.

Perfect, this is exactly what I was looking for. I'll give the clean patch a shot, thanks for all your hard work on this, I'm excited to try it out!