Sign in to follow this  
deno46

editor

3 posts in this topic

What is the name of the editor you used to do this hack? Or did you went inside the game itself and changed thing manually?

I want to experiment with making new locations.

Can you change the events happening?

Like, could you make the characters appear in albrook and then have an event there?

My dream is to male a prequel of ff6 in the war of the magi. It wpuld be cool to make a whple new game with your engine, new stpry, new characters, new map. An ending.

Haha maybe i'm too much of a dreamer.

On 5/15/2021 at 1:21 PM, deno46 said:

What is the name of the editor you used to do this hack? Or did you went inside the game itself and changed thing manually?

A bit of column A, a bit of column B. BTB uses FF3usME for a lot of his work, which includes much of the spell, equipment, ability, character and enemy rebalancing, many menu descriptions, dialogue changes, and more. But there's a ton of changes that had to be done by writing custom code, either by using an assembler or via manual hex edits. Most of these changes are mentioned (and credited to the hacker responsible) in the Readme.

Can you change the events happening?

Like, could you make the characters appear in albrook and then have an event there?

Yes, this can be done, but it's not easy. There are editors that are capable of making event edits, but some of them are a bit unreliable. I'm not very well versed in event editing, so I'll leave this for someone else to elaborate on. But it is absolutely doable. You'll likely see some custom events over the course of playing BNW, though I'm not sure what tools were used to author them, if any.

My dream is to male a prequel of ff6 in the war of the magi. It wpuld be cool to make a whple new game with your engine, new stpry, new characters, new map. An ending.

I suggest heading over to FF6hacking.com and having a look around on the wiki and forums there of you're looking to get your feet wet with hacking this game. I suggest starting with something small and simple, and asking directed questions on how to do very specific things, you'll get the best reception if it's clear you're willing to do your research.

Using BNW as your base for a new hack will be challenging, but not impossible. FF6Tools (a browser based editor) works with it pretty readily, but the event editing can be a little fishy (it has made additional edits on my behalf before that I did not intend to make, like changing actor ids in event action queues).

I'd suggest getting familiar with modding vanilla first if you're starting from scratch with no background. There will be more tools available to you, and the resources out there will be more accurate.

Ohhh, it's a lot.

I didn't know it was so complex.

I think I'll try what you say.

Thanks, I appreciate it.