Sign in to follow this  
Think0028

Behold, Pants!

22 posts in this topic

Thanks for sharing these!

The shawl-bearing Terra is especially welcome, I've never been a fan of her strange triangle-collar sprite. There's a lot of skin and some questionable fashion choices going on.

Edited by GreenSun

Oh yes, sweet Mary and Joseph. I was starting to get depressed when I couldn't find these sprite patches anywhere now that the old site is down. I remember the old long thread where they tinkered with Celes' armor sprite for quite some time and finally perfected it - it truly became a thing of beauty. Thanks for recovering these.

ps. it's been so long since I fiddled around with sprite patches, I've forgotten if this is the correct one to use with BNW?  https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/87/

Edited by Hapanpappa

I'd love if it were possible to have the sprite for her Ffrk Dissidia costume. 

I imagine limitations make it impossible, but yeah. Terra's default sprite, while nostalgic, is pretty terrible. 

FFRK_Terra_DFF_sprites.png

i've preferred the originals since they seemed like Japanese 'magical girls' in appearance and effect.  These sprites never bothered me that much.

Good on you for preserving these though!

Literally the only problem Terra's original sprite has is the shoulder pads, in my opinion. So sprites that keep the original feel but tweak those are best. There WAS that one with pink hair that was fairly nice, though. 

The one I've been missing is a Relm Cat-Ear Hood one, complete with custom menu pic. I remember seeing it forever ago, but couldn't figure out how to swap the menu pic in addition to the sprite, so I ended up dropping it. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and could make it into a patch or something that works with 1.9, I'd love it! Anyone know the sprite I'm talking about?

2 hours ago, artemi said:

Literally the only problem Terra's original sprite has is the shoulder pads, in my opinion. So sprites that keep the original feel but tweak those are best. There WAS that one with pink hair that was fairly nice, though. 

The one I've been missing is a Relm Cat-Ear Hood one, complete with custom menu pic. I remember seeing it forever ago, but couldn't figure out how to swap the menu pic in addition to the sprite, so I ended up dropping it. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and could make it into a patch or something that works with 1.9, I'd love it! Anyone know the sprite I'm talking about?

I've changed sprites and character profile pics using the "FF3usME" and "ff3se". In fact, let me give you links to the utilities.

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/87/

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/86/

There, that should help you. As for the exact Relm sprite and profile pic you're talking about, it is not one I have, nor one I have seen. I've seen White Mage versions of Relm (sprites and profile pics included), but not a Cat-Eared Hood one. I'm going to have to keep an eye open for that one.

On 12/16/2017 at 9:36 AM, TheChristoph said:

The various sprite sheets on ff6hacking.com should be compatible here, yeah?

Yes and No. See, some of the sprite sheets use different indexes (which have different colors), which means that other sprites on the same 'number index' can end up messed up due to that if a person changes the colors in that index. That's why whenever messing with character sprites you need to be careful not to make more work for yourself by messing up the other sprites in the process.

Some modders try and get around this by changing the index used for some of the characters and then tweaking things about.

Anyways, while I like the leggings for Terra, I very much dislike the shoulder pads and shawl versions of the sprites, so I'm recreating a caped version (with and without leggings, and I've already finished the 'without leggings' version) for use based on a sprite I saw in the japanese "T" edition. So my next post in this thread will be a zip file with the sprites and some ips files for that.

Edited by GLH

Any chance of someone doing a "Shadow as Clyde" patch? I'd love to play as Clyde for once instead of the the generic ninja suit shadow has >.>

On 2/17/2018 at 2:12 PM, Hapa said:

Any chance of someone doing a "Shadow as Clyde" patch? I'd love to play as Clyde for once instead of the the generic ninja suit shadow has >.>

I'll upload some character sheet images and portraits here. Forgot about adding white leggings to the Terra one I found and liked from the japanese "T-edition". Anyways, let's start with the patch and what it shows (sadly getting FF3usME to export the animated cape on sprite image #163 is a problem, but the patch I'm linking does have both parts to make a complete animation).

First the patch link (Edit; for Headered Roms only, sorry). EDIT; USE THE PATCH DOWN BELOW.

These are the two main images of that "Caped Terra" patch.

*SNIP*

JTzzaqp.png

Next, here is a basic spritesheet and portrait for "Shadow as Clyde".

wFeNmcC.png

L9xoOTF.png

Hope you found that useful.:D

Edited by GLH
Corrected some things, removed old link

I applied the patch, and this is what I got.

I'm using unheadered roms and patches. hopefully that is the cause of this. Because I was looking forward to using this.

Spoiler

Terra Patch.JPGTerra Patch2.JPG

Edit: I think that was the problem, I unheaderized the patch reapplied everything and it cleared it up.

Edited by F-Bomb
Fixed the problem

Thanks GLH! Loved the caped Terra btw. Alternative sprites are very fun, they obviously don't change anything gameplay-wise, but give a sometimes much needed fresh air to an old game, wish there were more alternative sprites. One problem with Clyde's spritesheet is that it uses a different color palette than Shadow's, and FF3usME only changes the palette in battle.

15 hours ago, F-Bomb said:

I applied the patch, and this is what I got.

I'm using unheadered roms and patches. hopefully that is the cause of this. Because I was looking forward to using this.

Hide contents

Terra Patch.JPGTerra Patch2.JPG

Edit: I think that was the problem, I unheaderized the patch reapplied everything and it cleared it up.

Yeah, sorry, forgot to mention the fact that the patch was for Headered roms (mostly because I don't have an unheadered rom and google is sending me to virus-laden sites for trying to downloading game roms). I did however include a direct spritesheet in my post and the first of two parts for the 'cape flying in the wind' part when Terra is on the bow/front of the airship.:(

Glad you liked it and were able to get past that problem though.:D

4 hours ago, Hapa said:

Thanks GLH! Loved the caped Terra btw. Alternative sprites are very fun, they obviously don't change anything gameplay-wise, but give a sometimes much needed fresh air to an old game, wish there were more alternative sprites. One problem with Clyde's spritesheet is that it uses a different color palette than Shadow's, and FF3usME only changes the palette in battle.

No problem, and hmm, that is a problem. First let me test something here. I'm taking a vanilla rom and I'm checking to see if I can change the color index used for that character for both overworld and battles. Terra works best as switching her index from "2" to "0" still results in a usable sprite (with blonde hair no less). Ok, it seems that just changing the color index using FF3usME has some results. In-battle the changes work perfectly, but in the overworld it seems the color changes do not. The overworld/towns color index is hardset for characters it seems, and changing that is likely going to require hex editing to make happen.

Hmmm, problematic.

So let's go through which overworld sprites also use Index #4 (Shadow's) then. Ok, sprites #9 (Setzer), #25 (Interceptor), #28 (the NPC playing Draco), #29 (Arvis), #36 (old woman NPC with the green shal), #40 (bird), #43 (Impresario), #44 (Epser Eldar who seals the gate), #45 (Yura), #46 (Ziegfried/Siegfried), #48 (Maduin), #50 (Vargas), #53 (Charon), #58 (Fish), #63 (Ramuh), #68 (???), #69 (???), #72 (???), #75 (Bismark), #79 (Airship during the Floating Continent events), #83 (???), #90 (Letter), #96 (Book, unused in-game), #104 (Slavecrown), #106 (4-ton weight), #108 (Bird with a wrapped wing), #115 (Bird in flight), #117 (Bird in flight), #127 (???), #131 (???), #143 (Switch), #153 (Imperial Air-Force), #154 (Sword at Grave), #164 (Bird in flight).

Yeah, I think the best way to go about this is honestly changing Shadow's color index to something else that matches that sprite-sheet better. Maybe Index 1 or 3 I think. Changing the over-world color index for Shadow will involve hex-editting which color index his character uses, but that isn't as scary or as hard  as most think. Less problematic than accidentally changing the colors in Index #4 and effecting all those other characters listed above at any rate.

Of course, there is also what the canon game did when it changed Locke's spritesheet around (I think it was event #49, followed by the character and sheet in question being pulled up), along with how equipment like the moogle-suit does that. It seems like it should be possible to use Shadow/Clyde-only equipment to pull up an alternate spritesheet (though getting it to put up an alternate sheet for the Overworld is going to be more problematic, hence why I brought up Locke).

Given all of that, I would just find out whether that sprite-sheet fits Index #1 or #3 and then edit Shadow's character data so Overworld data uses the appropriate color index. Far less work and hassle all considered.

Field palettes are set via event upon character creation or other events (merchant/soldier Locke, Gerad, etc). So yeah, you need to hex edit the event(s) that set Shadow's palette. He's first seen in South Figaro, but is not a guarantee that you first run into Shadow there. In fact is possible to skip ever seeing him until he joins you in Albrook.

Have a perusal of the event script available at the FF6h wiki.

3 hours ago, seibaby said:

Field palettes are set via event upon character creation or other events (merchant/soldier Locke, Gerad, etc). So yeah, you need to hex edit the event(s) that set Shadow's palette. He's first seen in South Figaro, but is not a guarantee that you first run into Shadow there. In fact is possible to skip ever seeing him until he joins you in Albrook.

Have a perusal of the event script available at the FF6h wiki.

Huh, that I did not know. I assumed that it was the character data. I knew that the moogles at the start of the game used an event to change sprites to the moogle-set for the parties in question, but I did not realize that the character color index chosen went by event triggers rather than inate character data. Still, thank you, that is informative and damned useful.

Anyways, Hapa, I found a more 'complete' version of the Clyde sprite-sheet. Pocoloco is awesome for having made it.

7q6UAeh.png

If you still wish to use Clyde's sheet though without hex editing, you're going to end up having to recolor things. The basic steps for that are to take a vanilla rom and open it up with FF3usME (LINK).

Go to "Gfx" (the tile editor) and go to the "Sprites" sub-box. You will see an "Index" in the upper left-hand corner of the program, and it should be on "0" (Terra). You need to start going through sprites #9 (Setzer), #25 (Interceptor), #28 (the NPC playing Draco), #29 (Arvis), #36 (old woman NPC with the green shal), #40 (bird), #43 (Impresario), #44 (Epser Eldar who seals the gate), #45 (Yura), #46 (Ziegfried/Siegfried), #48 (Maduin), #50 (Vargas), #53 (Charon), #58 (Fish), #63 (Ramuh), #68 (???), #69 (???), #72 (???), #75 (Bismark), #79 (Airship during the Floating Continent events), #83 (???), #90 (Letter), #96 (Book, unused in-game), #104 (Slavecrown), #106 (4-ton weight), #108 (Bird with a wrapped wing), #115 (Bird in flight), #117 (Bird in flight), #127 (???), #131 (???), #143 (Switch), #153 (Imperial Air-Force), #154 (Sword at Grave), #164 (Bird in flight), and "Export" copies of all of them.

The exported sprites will be named "sprite009.png", "sprite025.png", etc.

Now after you have copies of all the original sprites, I would download a copy of pocoloco's Clyde sprite-sheet, as it's far more complete than the original one I found up above.

Following me so far? Good, now what you need to do after this point is upload the Clyde sprite-sheet, save, followed by then reuploading each of the 'original' spritesheets and saving each time for each sprite. After you have done that, you then have to re-color Clyde's sheet, but that will be far less work than trying to recreate it by hand or dipping your hand into hex editting if you have never done so before or do not wish to. The FF3usME program also has some useful tools for helping determine which box effects what part of the sprite, and the "Animate" box has a film-reel right next to it called "Increment Frame" when you hover the mouse on it. I would suggest using "Grid", "Highlight", and "Increment Frame" as you're doing the recoloring work. Not as helpful as having it handed already-done, but if you wish to do it that is how you would do so. I hope you find these notes helpful.

This may be getting a little off topic now.

Spoiler

But it would be cool if after Shadow has had his 5 dreams, and if Relm has been found that they have a little cut scene where shadow reveals himself as Relms father and gives her the memento ring then identifies himself as Clyde, and from then on you play as Clyde.

Dont know how hard that would be to program. But it would be pretty sweet.

1 hour ago, F-Bomb said:

This may be getting a little off topic now.

Hide contents

But it would be cool if after Shadow has had his 5 dreams, and if Relm has been found that they have a little cut scene where shadow reveals himself as Relms father and gives her the memento ring then identifies himself as Clyde, and from then on you play as Clyde.

Dont know how hard that would be to program. But it would be pretty sweet.

The answer;

Shadow's/Relm's dream in the WoR uses an event check, and they are NOT compatable given in-game events and the checks each of them uses. Now that said, it IS possible to change Shadow's name at the ending credits to "Clyde Arrowny", as THIS patch over on FF6 Hacking shows. It is also possible to use another event check to see if all of Shadow's dreams have been played and then change his name at the ending credits to "Clyde Arrowny" as well, but this is really something I'm unsure if BTB and Synchysi are interested in doing.

Edited by GLH
link didn't work

So, it seems I kind of messed up with the first sprite (pixels were not aligned in a few places, the legs most notably), and it was not as well done as it could have been. I had some time, and have corrected that and put the corrected version in a (headered) patch. https://drive.google.com/open?id=15FhnxUNnXYc9ML6Lz5FcAMPLqgh563zn

Here is the corrected image sprite for those who want to mess with things themselves, though the patch deals with sprites 000, 148, and 163 (the first half of which can be found in one of my posts above) without all the hassle.

VvbCBSb.png

Edited by GLH