AuthenticM

Brave New World and the Pixel Remaster

8 posts in this topic

Hello!

The Pixel Remasters for the first three FF games are out, and have already cultivated quite a mod scene. The games are apparently made on Unity, and are easily moddable, and people are just going at it, which has been super cool to see. The games themselves are also fantastic, and are pretty much the ultimate versions of these games, and that's not even taking into account the modding possibilities.

Considering this, I have two questions:

1. Would the authors of Brave New World be interested in porting the mod to the upcoming Pixel Remaster release of FF6?

2. In the event of a negative answer to question 1, would the authors of Brave New World approve of someone else doing that?

Thank you!

I have absolutely zero interest, but I don't care if anyone else tries.

Unfortunately, "tries" is going to be the operative word here. Anyone with any real interest in the game's mechanics works with the SNES version; the modding scenes for the various ports are largely concerned with the graphics and last I checked have made very little actual headway into the mechanical side of things. You'd basically be rebuilding BNW from the ground up rather than porting it.

Having just played through the first 3 Pixel Remasters and knowing it won't be too long before I'm playing through 6 I do hope that the modding scene for these versions takes off more before 6 does release. I've always wondered what the BNW team could accomplish if you all were not so hugely constricted by SNES limitations. It's also gonna hurt playing through vanilla FF6 because, frankly, I think it's a pretty god awful game without the care modders spend tinkering with it.

I, for one, definitely would want to see BNW (and T-Edition) hit the Pixel Remaster of 6. For all the faults the games have, they do feel like the best overall release yet and I hope some serious modders take notice and we move away from font replacement after font replacement after font replacement.

Edited by Jordan

I currently have little interest in the Pixel Remasters.  I played the new content that FF6 Pixel Remasters boasts with the port to mobile.  While it is cool to see a digital face-lift, BNW has spoiled me because it (dramatically) improved the game play. 

With that being said... if there was a way that BNW could apply it's superior gameplay to Pixel Remaster of FF6, the amount of praise and bribery I would heave upon the devs would be staggering.  Unity is a pretty friendly system but I wouldn't be well suited to start figuring out how to translate between old/new or if you would have to mod/build from the ground up.  I would be willing to throw in what I can to help on this endeavor because I love BNW that much.  

So, the deep mechanical changes that make BNW so different are a result of a vast amount of assembly coding that is specific to the architecture of the SNES. Porting any of this to the pixel remasters would mean rewriting all of it from scratch in x86 assembly; there is little that could be salvaged as-is.

To further compound this is the matter of even knowing where to make the changes in the first place. Hacking the SNES version benefits from many, many years of reverse engineering and documentation of the ROM. No such documentation exists for the innards of the x86 iterations of the game. Very extensive reverse engineering of the code would be required before anyone could begin to even think about applying some of BNW's mechanics. It's just such an insurmountably hard sell, who would do it?

You certainly can dream :P It'd take years of research; you might want to look into it yourself to get a scope of what you're in for.
Could probably make the dialogue changes relatively easily if you can find what files they're in. I've debated doing that for FF5 Spoof in FF5 PR.

Just noticed I replied to something from August, damn this board moves slow.

Edited by SarahShinespark