Sign in to follow this  
thzfunnymzn

thzfunnymzn edition of Brave New World

11 posts in this topic

Affectionately called: Lol New World

This edition of BNW - affectionately called Lol New World - is really a "continuation" mod by an old, old veteran of the Brave New World community. It's not an official continuation of any sort. It's just an old veteran, who loves designing things too much, taking his own spin on what he sees as future development of BNW's design and balance, while trying to keep the spirit of "the mod that improves FFVI's mechanics while preserving the spirit of FFVI". As I'm a bit of a mad scientist, some things about this mod will be experimental, push boundaries, and perhaps be just plain crazy, in ways that another designer perhaps wouldn't do. However, LNW is still very much is BNW. Edgar aside, I don't think you'll really notice the changes until at least after the Magitek Factory. (Not that I'm averse to early game changers, mind you. Just nothing has happened yet, that I'm able to do, that keeps within the spirit of "FFVI with improved gameplay / mechanics / balance").

The initial impetus for this mod was simply me deciding that BNW's stamina stat is becoming far too much of a 3rd attack stat, including holding special hatred towards a couple of stam-based attacks (Atma Weapon). Therefore, as of the alpha version of LNW, many of the changes revolve around trying to push stamina into a more clearly defined defensive role. Said role revolves mostly around statuses, whether that be through an improved status evasion, a new unique Cover Shield (Paladin Kite) in the game's second half, or modifying some characters' unique stam-based mechanics to be more defensive in nature (like Relm's Interceptor). However, it comes along with an aggressive removal of many stam-based attacks, including your odds of counter-attacking no longer being based on stamina. ... The alpha version, as of right now, is imperfect, and in my eyes, incomplete, through further development is stalled while awaiting player feedback.

Course, I'm Mr. Scope Creep, so many of the changes in this alpha are also just throwing in things that seem like good ideas, such as Gau's Rage odds now being stam-based (alongside a re-design of some Rages to make room for stam Gau being VERY consistent with his Rages) a re-work of Mog's Dances (which ties into the stamina changes, actually), giving Strago a Merton-lite lore affectionately named "Antipode", critical hit chance based on one's speed stat (thanks to the coder, Sir Newton Fig, for that idea), limiting the total number of any given item you may have, Drain moves not being capped by missing HP, raising the maximum Esper Level from 25 and 30 and making esper exp come faster (more fun with builds), a freaking new esper in Leviathan, and a whole lot more.

The Patch

Lol New World mod for BNW, forked off of the 2.1 version. Applies over a vanilla FFVI rom. The x2 speed patch (faster enemies) is included as an optional extra patch, for those who want the extra difficulty.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yv-1BrgvHDZsXKgQ6OD9rVZWxD5ISnfV/view?usp=sharing

Edited by thzfunnymzn

Because he's thz funnymzn!

Not actually a joke patch (apart from the Thamasian +vig Espers, but that's its own patch), he's put and almost unhealthy amount of honest consideration into the tweaks he's made here in an obsessive effort to further refine BTB's near-perfect balance, mostly geared toward BNW vets who have played the game too much and want something to mix it up.

Pretty much that. "lol" is simply because my name is "funny"man, so the joke was that my little mod would be called "lol new world." I lack the originality to think up a name myself, so "lol new world" it is.

You can consider the vig Thamasa patch to be "rofl new world".

To anyone reading these forums:

Lol New World is still in development. Primarily being discussed & finalized on the Discord server. My coder is also making some progress. I'll shortly create a (concise) change log and update the original post.

EDIT: Updated with most recent changelog, as well as most recent version of the hack.

Edited by thzfunnymzn

Original post updated with the latest "Lol New World" version.

There are some known balance and other issues, but it's fully playable, and I doubt we'll see an update anytime soon. So, for now, enjoy!

Development for Lol New World is closed. It's imperfect, and I never did migrate it to the new 2.1, but it's perfectly playable, with an enormous amount of interesting ideas to be worthwhile despite its imperfect state. I've especially gotten good comments on  the new tools for vig Locke and mag Setzer.

The topic is left open for anyone who does play to provide feedback. Future development may re-open, depending on the feedback received.

OK, fine, I lied.

I've updated Lol New World one final time. Stable release, so for anyone who was busy watching me be a mad scientist in the Discord, enjoy playing it now. It's flawed, but it is what is now. Enjoy. :D

Posting because there's been a major update to Lol New World.

The odds of Gau's Rage is now stamina-based. 

Base stamina Gau now starts at 59/41 odds for rages, and fully built, can get up to 92/8 odds for Rage. I removed the stamina-based damage Rages and even nerfed the stamina-based heals, because that is some NICE consistency coming from stam Gau. Rage Belt is there for static 50/50 Rages (like vanilla FFVI); a speed built Gau could perhaps play with that to gamble on Rages with good secondaries.

I've also imported even more of Nowea Hard Type AI/boss edits, as well as extensively re-designed the elemental dragons. On top of various other minor and modest changes (as listed in printme).

Enjoy.

Loved the mod so far, however I've run into a problem. This happened earlier in the game but a reset managed to fix it, but two items aren't being received after finishing off a boss. I can't recall the first one, but it was in WoB somewhere. Second one is a big deal, i've smacked down Kaiser and I am not getting the Crusader magicite. It shows the message and sound effect of getting it, but it isn't in my esper list.