Sign in to follow this  
BTB

Brave New World 2.1 is now Available!

13 posts in this topic

Download Brave New World Here

(New to Brave New World? Check out this thread for a brief explanation of what it does or dive straight into the Readme.)

A little over two years, we released Brave New World 2.0: what we were sure would be the last major release for a good long while, possibly even forever. I slowly began collecting reports of bugs that had slipped through 2.0's extensive beta process and held off for as long as I could for the inevitable minor bugfix update... which eventually evolved into the major one you now see before you.

While certainly not the massive jump that 2.0 was from 1.9, there's still a lot of new goodies to unpack here. Of particular note is a new "multitap" patch allowing support for up to 4 players, which resulted in quite possibly the most fun a lot of us have had in an online stream in recent memory. That said, the vast majority of the changes here are bugfixes or quality of life enhancements, such as wagers no longer being lost at the Colosseum if you lose and Celes remaining in her "defend" stance to indicate that Runic is still active.

Those of you who have been following me for awhile know of my fondness for New Years releases, so a release date of February 23rd might seem a little out of character. When it became apparent that we were going to need just a little more time to get things right as January 1st approached, it was eventually decided to instead release Brave New World 2.1 alongside Square's own official re-(re-re-re-re-re-re-)release of Final Fantasy VI. Call it a bit of "friendly" rivalry perhaps... or consider it a consolation prize for anyone who rushes out to buy it today and doesn't quite get what they were hoping for.

As for the future, the most immediate goal is to finish up the issues we were having with the Spanish translation (not included with the current upload, but hopefully ready in a week or two) and maybe even wrangle a French version out of a few of our players who speak it. Beyond that, I have long since given up on the idea that I'll ever be truly "done" with Brave New World, but I have moved on to other projects for the time being. Case in point, if you or anyone you know is a fan of Heroes of Might & Magic III, perhaps I can interest you in what I've been working on for the last several years.

And that's about all for now. Thank you all so much for playing and hanging around for these last ten years (where DOES the time go?) and being a part of this amazing community.

Can i ask ypu something? The chrono trigger mod you posted is kind of a brave new world lite version for that game?

8 hours ago, deno46 said:

Can i ask ypu something? The chrono trigger mod you posted is kind of a brave new world lite version for that game?

Are you referring to Inuksuk's Enhansa Edition mod?

On 24/07/2022 at 9:11 AM, deno46 said:

That was my intention! I'm a huge fan of Brave New World. It doesn't have the insane polish that BNW has of course. Give it a try and let me know what you think

On 30/7/2022 at 7:10 PM, inuksuk said:

That was my intention! I'm a huge fan of Brave New World. It doesn't have the insane polish that BNW has of course. Give it a try and let me know what you think

Nice, then i will try it next. When i kill fkn kefka, that is kicking my ass over and over.

3 hours ago, Lelfol said:

does the mod works if i add a translation patch?

Brave New World comes with translation patches, so yes.

Any possibility of ever reinstating some of the removed features such as the Narshe 3-party battle and getting to actually choose the final Kefka battle order instead of it being random bullshit, or am I forever doomed to keep returning to 1.8.6 to get the "full" experience? Always had a hard time figuring out why those had to be changed because unless it had to do with technical stuff like space limitations, couldn't you have just - you know, not used them if you personally didn't like them, instead of outright removing even the possibility of utilizing those mechanics? Seems like the only logical explanation is that there was a high cost for them existing as-is and thus had to be removed, but somehow I doubt it. 

On another note, is the floating continent multi-party dungeon still a thing that might happen in this lifetime, because that always sounded awesome. 

Narshe having 3 parties doesn't let you just choose to only use 2. 2 Parties lets you balance your teams better. 7 people spread over 3 teams is more dumb.

The final battle lets you choose your leading 4, but then randomizes the rest so that your can't just stack 6 people up with all your best gear. The uncertainty of who you might get when someone goes down means that you need to concern yourself with the development and loadout of everyone you bring.

BTB may have other reasons to add, but this is my understanding of the rationale behind these two changes. These were both very much deliberate decisions, and it doesn't seem likely that they'll be repealed.

20 hours ago, SirNewtonFig said:

so that your can't just stack 6 people up with all your best gear

...as opposed to 4 that you're going to put all your best gear on? If you want to add "challenge" by way of RNG then just have the party be selected randomly to begin with so you have to outift everyone in equal gear. Which sounds like an absolutely asinine idea, by the way. 

Whether 7 characters in 3 parties or 2 is "dumb" comes down to opinions. It just seems odd to feel so strongly about a multi-party battle that you gimp the thing entirely. It's not like every argument that can be made for 2 parties can't be made for 3. It even adds to the theoretical challenge to have your forces spread out thinner, which is exactly what I liked about it, for instance. Whether or not you make use of that in practice is up to the player.

I'm personally pretty indifferent to the final battle change. The randomization feels a bit out of place, but I can appreciate the motive around it. I also tend to play the game nowadays with the optional party randomization patch applied anyway, so I'm used to needing to be on my toes for unexpected party compositions.

I flat out disagree that the game is any better with 3-party K@N though. And that's fine, can't please everyone.