Sign in to follow this  
BTB

Brave New World 1.8.6 is now available!

158 posts in this topic

was it considered to make between Cover% (Healthy Ally)  and Cover% (Near-Fatal Ally)  a gradual transition instead of a simple binary check?

e.g.: cover% = 100 - ( (100 - (Stam/192) ) * ally HP %)
so at full health he takes the full "penalty" to the cover chance, at 50% only half the penalty and at 1 HP you get 100% cover

Think mentioned that it was possible, but in the interests of not needlessly complicating things I've opted to keep it simple.

Found a small description error, Stormfang's description still states that it randomly casts Mute even though it was changed to cast Bolt awhile back.
E16DkRs.png

edit: Derp, should've double checked the recent changelog before posting

Edited by A Dummy

So... next order of business is the Life spell. A frequent observation I've made whilst watching streams is that players lean heavily on it even in cases where a Phoenix Down would be better due to the shorter command delay and the fact that the Life spell often doesn't restore enough HP to survive a single hit. Any kind of buff to the Life spell is very difficult because setting it to the point where surviving the next hit is a guarantee renders Life 2 essentially useless, but it should be a more attractive option than Phoenix Downs. It needs to be powerful int he early game while remaining a decent option in the late-game that is ultimately eclipsed by Life 2 and the Defibrillator.

Nowea pointed out to me that Life needn't necessarily restore a fractional amount of HP, which put me on the right path. But rather than tie it to magic power like the Defibrillator and horn in on its territory, I decided it would be most prudent if Life were to instead restore a *static* amount of HP - something that no other forms of revival do. Dn has offered to see if he can program in a static range for us to use, which we figured should be between 250 and 500 HP. This makes Life a very powerful revive when you first get it, but its usefulness will wane (although not entirely) as HP totals grow higher in the endgame.

EDIT: changelog updated

Edited by BTB

On 8/23/2017 at 0:52 PM, BTB said:

This makes Life a very powerful revive when you first get it, but its usefulness will wane (although not entirely) as HP totals grow higher in the endgame.

remain amazing throughout an LLG.

ftfy :kappa:

Edited by Bishop

One last thing to bring up because it hasn't really been discussed is GP Toss. After comparing numbers with the community and looking at Setzer's other builds, it was determined that GP Toss's formula needs a slight alteration to remain competitive.

CURRENT FORMULA:

GP Tossed = Stam * 10
Dmg = (GP Tossed * Lv) / (3 * (# of targets + 1))

PROPOSED FORMULA:

GP Tossed = Stam * 10
Dmg = (GP Tossed * Lv) / (2 * (# of targets + 1))

TL;DR

It's a 50% damage boost

Edited by BTB

So, filling out the character information in our subforum gave me a really in-depth look at the characters that I haven't had in quite some time, and well... one thing leads to another, yadda yadda, I fucked with the spell list again:

http://btb2.free.fr/temp/espers.jpg

Highlights: Relm learns Life (old news) and gets a debuff with Stop, Mog now learns Haste, Celes learns Demi early enough for it to be useful, Warp is pushed back to the Fenrir (and therefore the WoR), and the new Bserk crew is Terra and the Figaro Bros.

As this pushes the update into "requires a new game" territory, that means the upcoming release will be 1.9 rather than 1.8.7. Commence with the "last update until 2.0" jokes.

Edited by BTB

So, because I apparently just can't stop fucking with things... a casual thought popped up during routine Discord discussion involving the upcoming changes that tie stamina to cover and counter. Given these changes, I figured it would make sense to make cover the standard spear property rather than counters. All said and done, this leads to some very... interesting changes for Edgar. 

Brainstorming ways for various characters to use new Cover & Counter mechanics:

Spoiler

Vigor vs. Stamina: Vigor builds will have stronger counterattacks but lower odds for counter & cover. Stamina builds are reverse. Should be how it works for most characters.

Terra: Tritoch build should get a very high counterattack rate. Black Belt, Morph, self-Berserk (esper magic change), & pretend your vig Terra. Cover might not work so well with Morph Omega *cough*, and Hero Ring probably ain't as good for stam Terra as Black Belt, but it is still an option. Cover + Counter isn't an option without sacrificing the Power Glove. vig Terra has more reason to choose Genji instead of Aegis or Minerva. Cleric Terra probably doesn't care, though I guess Hero Ring + heavy armor is available?

Locke: Kirin Locke with Omega & Valiance, equip Ninja Mask with Hero Ring & Thief Glove. Should Cover Evade like a champ, and has plenty of HP to tank hits even if evade fails. Good damage too. Might need to be careful with heals. Obviously, Valiantsuken vig Locke is the "higher damage, lower cover/counter chance". Probably shouldn't be using him to Cover, unless you just really like gambling with his ultra high evade.

Edgar: Unicorn Edgar + Cover Spears + Genji armor = a brick wall to guard the team. Don't forget Nirvana band. Not sure how good a set-up it really is, but ladies and gentleman, Unicorn Edgar has been born. Imma call him Phalanx Edgar. Kinda overlaps with his own Golem summon though.

Sabin: stam Sabin with Ocean Claws, Hero Ring, & Black Belt? Loses Death Ward & Life Bell, & he's got Golem to cover the party anyways. But he does have the highest Cover chance alongside Strago & Umaro. & Sabin is a much better bodyguard than Strago.

Celes: Phantom Celes should now work better as a proper alternate to Ramuh Celes. (And they both love the new weapon changes). Leo's Crest gives both Cover & Counter, so enjoy slightly higher counterattacks with Illumina. A Phantom + Crusader hybrid could also do stuffs, provided the player gives her the HP to properly tank. Cleric Celes may also do something? She's got good reason to equip the Crest anyways, so maybe a heavy armor bodyguard to go with the healing & buffs?

Cyan: See "Vigor vs Stamina" above. stam Cyan gets Cover.

Gau: stam Gau with Hero Ring, Black Belt, & Defender Rage for some automated party defense? Eh, Mog does it better.

Shadow: Phantom Shadow gets more counterattacks than Fenrir Shadow. Works out well since he's also the one with better vigor. (iow, keep him in the front row with Ninja Mask & Kagenui equipped). Please don't use Shadow as team bodyguard.

Mog: Maduin Mog gets a little interesting. He can now boast higher counterattack rate with Punisher, over Shoat Mog's pure magical might. While Mogoon's still the best dps with Rods, Maduin Mog could pull of a Hero Ring + Black Belt + Punisher + Earth Blues / Forest Suite for an automated party healer/bodyguard who throws out some good attacks. Kinda neat actually. Otherwise, only change is that Mogoon loses spear counters in exchange for a small chance to cover allies. Not ideal, but not critical either.

Setzer: Eh, iunno. He wants Heiji's Coin + Daryl's Soul + Hero Ring + Black Belt for ridiculous Cover/Counter with X-FixedDice counters & GP Toss for his action. But we can't have it all, can we? I guess Heiji's Coin + Hero Ring would be standard if you want a bodyguard stam Setzer. Daryl's Soul + Black Belt is an option, but I think the new GP Toss is probably better for stam Setzer.

Strago & Relm: Please don't use either of these as bodyguards. For that matter, I wouldn't consider the increased counterattack rate that important for either of these two either. I mean, I guess Punisher Odin Strago could try to be cute. Maybe. He's got Shield. Maybe?

Umaro: Now has a choice. Rage Belt with Mog for mass damage, or Knight Cape + Black Belt to be the parties Big, Dumb Bodyguard. (Muffler gives HP+25%, so use Knight Cape for the small speed & evasion boost). Huge stamina with good HP/def, so hilariously, Umaro may actually be the premier user of the new Cover & Counter mechanics. Best paired with a RegenX user?

Gogo: Please don't use Gogo as a bodyguard. Rod Rage Gogo is dps Gogo, but Rage counterattacks don't get the Rage multiplier, so my guess is that Gogo shouldn't bother.

Edited by thzfunnymzn

Spears getting cover pairs with Mogoon well.  Moogle charm and the +50% HP spear in the back row makes him a decent defensive asset while losing nothing on offense.  Inherent haste from Palidor makes him damn potent too.

For the Life, spell, I'd say 500 does it well. In the early game, it effectively acts as Life 2 for the start. It also saves on healing items, particularly Dried Meats which are very important early on. This is balanced by the fact that Life takes MP.

By the time they reach IMRF, it's most of a full heal, but the player will start to notice (from the perspective of a less experienced player) that it no longer fully heals (HP early on is closer to 300, so only then will they notice) and will have to follow it up with items to get by.

Later on, when health is much higher, and Life 2 is available, Life will still be a handy choice, but still leaves the opportunity to get one shotted (if your max HP is looking like 1300) by a decent attack, but not necessarily ANY attack.

Probably some holes in it, but hey.

What are HP values like for the mid-WoR? For a team taking on, say, Narshe, how much Life revives for could affect how useful Life 2 is.

I think it might make sense to give the Muffler the Cover Allies ability now, no?

Also, I played a couple patches ago and ran into a problem where I wanted to test out different builds but the respec was prohibitively expensive. I kinda felt locked out of the mod's features without heavy grinding, unless there's an encounter somewhere that rewards a ton of money and no experience that I couldn't find. Ignore this if the cost has been changed in the past couple of updates.

Super unlikely wishlist item: A version of this mod that keeps the original Woolsey translation intact (except for things like changing Gau's rage explanation) so I can finally recommend this mod as the definitive version of the game. (Not looking for a debate on this, I know it's been done to death, and I know it's a lot of work to bring back the old translation, I just really wish the option was there so I could recommend this romhack to people who haven't played through FFVI before)

Edited by Reiker

Unless it has been changed in the latest update resetting your ELs cost 25K the first time and 100K afterwards. Expensive but not to the point of being completely prohibitive IMO, but how many times do you really want to respec anyway in one playthrough?

I know for a fact there are some encounters that have a high gold-to-EXP ratio, but I don't recall where to find them. Someone will probably mention it later.

1 hour ago, Reiker said:

I think it might make sense to give the Muffler the Cover Allies ability now, no?

Also, I played a couple patches ago and ran into a problem where I wanted to test out different builds but the respec was prohibitively expensive. I kinda felt locked out of the mod's features without heavy grinding, unless there's an encounter somewhere that rewards a ton of money and no experience that I couldn't find. Ignore this if the cost has been changed in the past couple of updates.

Super unlikely wishlist item: A version of this mod that keeps the original Woolsey translation intact (except for things like changing Gau's rage explanation) so I can finally recommend this mod as the definitive version of the game. (Not looking for a debate on this, I know it's been done to death, and I know it's a lot of work to bring back the old translation, I just really wish the option was there so I could recommend this romhack to people who haven't played through FFVI before)

There's a forest north of Jidoor with a Mover x3 encounter. This encounter gives a LOT of GP, for relatively little (maybe no?) EXP and EP. Grind that if you wish to respec many times.

That said, I wouldn't try to play every build in one playthrough. It's not just the cost & time spent grinding. You'll also miss out on how different builds plays the WoB, early-WoR, or different WoR dungeons.

3 hours ago, Reiker said:

This was discussed and decided against.

Also, I have made an open offer to share the source dialogue with anyone who desires to re-translate BNW back to the Woolsey version.

Is there any other piece of Umaro-equip that could maybe get the Cover Allies ability tacked on to it? I've always liked Umaro as a character, but I've never really utilized him as a party member in this game for obvious reasons. I'd love to try to go the Big Dumb Bodyguard route in my 1.9 playthrough, but I still don't think it's going to be worth it due to having to sacrifice a relic slot for the Knight Cape. The problem is that Umaro is just so one-dimensional he has to be quite powerful to even begin to compete against all the other playable characters for one of those 12 party slots.

What was specifically decided against was giving Umaro any kind of inherent cover, as that would pigeon-hole his equipment setup due to his incredibly high stamina. Without it inherent, deciding to tank and spank with him is a choice that you have to specifically gear out for (and sacrifice the Rage Belt to do).

Yeah, I guess my point was that Umaro isn't nearly powerful enough to somehow become overpowered with inherent cover + the Rage Belt. I'll experiment with him a bit in 1.9 but I'd like to see him become an actual viable choice, since even in the final dungeon some characters have to sit behind on the airship (and Umaro is usually the #1 contender for bench warmer).

The cover changes seemed like a brilliant way to do this (single player RPGs always fail when trying to designate a "tank class" character) but if you have to sacrifice a powerful item on an already iffy character...