Sign in to follow this  
BTB

Brave New World 1.8.6 is now available!

158 posts in this topic

Rage Belt having auto-counter was considered. That would mean Umaro's set-up is Rage Belt + Knight Cape, nothing else. (Except for rare Blizzard Orb strats). Sounds powerful, but I'd rather test out how Umaro utilizes the cover/counter changes.

So, even though I've complained a few times about the mg.eva stat in this hack, I've never actually sat down and crunched the numbers for various builds. I have corrected that. I have run true evade numbers on mg.eva (and, why not, def, mg.def, and eva) for "all" builds, assuming 120% spell accuracy as the standard. (Most spells are either 120% or never miss. I did include true evade numbers for 100% and 80%).

https://pastebin.com/ZEiCGDzP

Highlights:

• Even a 0% mg.eva character still has a 30% chance to dodge Meteo. Lol.
  • A lot of builds don't have a lot of true mg.eva (if any!) despite what the in-game numbers might say.
  • 22 mg.eva is required to gain even 1% true magic evade for most spells (120%).
  • Because of the above, Edgar, Cyan, setzer, and Umaro have 0% true evade, except in certain circumstances / set-ups.
  • Most high mg.eva set-ups include Force gear or Hides. These builds, obviously, have little need of mg.eva.
  • Only Locke, Shadow, & Relm can actually get respectable true mg.eva without also boosting their mg.def to ridiculous levels.
  • Dropping the "standard" spell accuracy from 120% down to 100% seems to mostly boost low/medium mg.eva set-ups.

So I skipped Shadow for Sabin's scenario to see how much harder it is, and just got my 2nd ghost.
...I see what you did there.

By the way, this has been bugging me for awhile since vanilla. WHERE are these guys' faces?! When I was a nearsighted kid I thought the purple dot was their nose and the gold chain was a creepy smile, which made them look like weird smiling blobs that took Human damage for some reason.

Edited by TimeSpaceMage

I always thought those white dots were their eyes, with them having some kinda facial mask that covers the nose and mouth area. The red thingy being a jewel or something similar. If you squint slightly, it look slike they have only one eye with a red iris.

Also, inb4 anyone mentions mistaking Gogo's eye-slit for a mouth.

So I guess the brown part is their face? I'm still gonna just see them as smiling purple blobs.
Also a big WUT at Gau's Leap not ending battle any more and him returning immediately. Super useful, but I just stood there like a lox waiting for the fight to end lol. And omg the exchange at Crescent Mountain xD

The inn guy at Nikeah worries me with his "clean" beds...

Went up against Fidor x1/Trooper x1 in the Narshe battle. Trooper used HasteX and Fidor countered him. Was that intended? o.o;

Edited by TimeSpaceMage

1 hour ago, TimeSpaceMage said:

So I guess the brown part is their face? I'm still gonna just see them as smiling purple blobs.
Also a big WUT at Gau's Leap not ending battle any more and him returning immediately. Super useful, but I just stood there like a lox waiting for the fight to end lol. And omg the exchange at Crescent Mountain xD

The inn guy at Nikeah worries me with his "clean" beds...

Went up against Fidor x1/Trooper x1 in the Narshe battle. Trooper used HasteX and Fidor countered him. Was that intended? o.o;

'eh, it's a thing.

Suggestion:

Give Terra float when she goes into Esper form.  It's part of the lore that she can fly when an esper.   Balance wise, it seems like a minor buff.

While you're at it, have it heal Imp too :v

Really appreciating the save point right before Dadaluma. That part was a bitch without save states.
Oh, Mystery Egg has Merit Award's effect? ...and nothing has the Heavy Gear bit set. Thanks for the troll guyz.

...Well played, good sir. Wow, that's really hard-coded.
OTOH, I didn't know the editor pulled up every byte in the item table until now.

Oh, almost forgot. Shadow missed himself with a Smoke Bomb while blinded. How do you even miss a smoke bomb?

-The new Bank and Esper Equip Bonus systems are really fun!
-Really like the new line where Locke now tries to help Danchou relax. I took Cyan this time and really like the way he talks too.
-Okay after warning Danchou, I swear my character just skidded to the left a tile.
-Atma Weapon was "defeated by a phantom who was able to dispel its power"? Is that a hint to cast Dispel on it? >.>
-Wasn't expecting the healing lady in Vector to have new dialogue. Kinda FF5 Spoof-y, but nice. Also the inn o.O;;
-Huh, so that's where Vicks went. Wonder where Wedge is?
-Wait, how does Terra "remember it all" when she was just a baby? (Well okay, she left when she was 2. That's more reasonable for remembering how her parents met.)
-When Arvis mentions the new equipment in Narshe, he says they intercepted a shipment "bound from Albrook". You must mean "bound for Albrook."
-Lol @ Terra quoting Derpy :v
-Found some totally sweet ninja stuff. (I've always wanted to say that.)
-So after the Battle on the Bridge, is there a way you could change the espers flying out to ones the player couldn't have? I always thought it was weird seeing a second Shiva and Zoneseek.
-I like the line where Gestahl admits to being weary and asks for a break.
-Cyan: "We will wait here and watch for signs that mark the extraordinary."
Edgar: "...does he ALWAYS talk like this?" :D
Sabin: "Yeah, pretty much."

Edited by TimeSpaceMage

First timer, just finished it. Loved it.

I loved FF6 when I was a kid, but even compared to other FF games I've found it hard to revisit because it's just too easy/braindead. I've tried, but always lost interest. Brave New World redeemed it for me, and for the first time since probably 1997, I completed a playthrough, and found myself loving not just the idea of the game, but the game itself. So while I have some specific feedback/suggestions below, first and foremost I want to say thanks to BTB and to everyone else here who has contributed to the mod or even just helped keep it alive via their enthusiasm and feedback. And it's not just about bringing the difficulty up to a level that was pretty consistently engaging -- the QoL improvements (Leaping everywhere, the adjusted Bushido meter, etc.) were impressive and the characters all still very much feel like themselves despite so, so many changes.

• IIRC vanilla FF6 had a Dragon Quest-ish mechanic wherein a wipe wasn't a game over -- you got booted back to your save point location, but you kept your experience. In FF6 it was kind of trivial since FF6 is the easiest game in the series, and players would usually reset anyhow because esper stat increases didn't stick after a wipe. Since those stat increases are now elective and separate from experience, it seems like it would be nice to have this mechanic back. IMO it's a way in which Dragon Quest games do a better job of encouraging more risky and tactically interesting play, because if you try your hardest and lose, you don't walk away empty-handed; all the enemies you fought on the way to your death still make you stronger, so you might as well try. It's a balancing mechanic that lets the player "grind" by trying their hardest, rather than grind by walking in a circle. IMO it's one of the chief things DQ does better than FF. Traditionally FF avoids the need to grapple with this by making the games too easy.
  • The lack of a viable run option was at times really unpleasant; Warp Whistles are too expensive until very late in the game.
  • I think there's a place for long boss battles, and actually appreciated the super-climactic Atma Weapon fight on that basis, but it's weird that so many joke fights (Dadaluma & the Ultroses) take so long. I think all of those fights detract more than they add, due to their length.
  • Re: Dadaluma, I know I did myself no favors by taking Celes to Zozo, but if group composition makes that much of a difference I think group composition should be adjustable without having to walk south to Jidoor, north to Figaro, north to Narshe, and back again, with all those inescapable battles along the way, just to switch Celes out. There's something to be said for a hard boss fight and for a long trek, but IMO these two mechanics don't interact well in this spot. It would be nice if you could switch without leaving Zozo. For example, there could be a carrier pigeon at the entrance of Zozo that serves as a pretense for swapping out characters.
  • The way the game is tuned, HP/survivability is by far the most valuable EL upgrade. I know I brought this up in another topic, but IMO the way enemy damage is tuned makes Relm pretty bad as a healer unless she's overleveled, and her offensive options, while fine, don't really make up the difference. I think she compares pretty badly to Setzer and Terra in particular -- they have offensive and defensive options on par or better, and HP for days. In the end, I didn’t find a niche for Relm; she just kept dying in one shot, even in the back row, even with Bahamut equipped.
  • Leaving Kefka's Tower/Phoenix Cave to freshen up is awkward because you have to successively form multiple 4 person parties to take them each to an inn. Ideally returning to the airship would just top everybody off, but failing that a refreshment stand (like on the Blackjack) would be a much appreciated amenity.

I don't like the new script (although there are definitely things it does better, and I couldn't help but smile at "They call me Gato"), and that can make the mod harder to recommend to fans of FF6. But I don't want to say more because I'd be covering well-trodden ground and I don't like that script complaints take over so many of the conversations I've seen online about BNW, when it's not anywhere near the most interesting or significant thing about the mod.

Finally, not related to the mod, but as a kid I can't believe I never got the joke of Edgar saving Mog with a crane game apparatus!

"Oh, almost forgot. Shadow missed himself with a Smoke Bomb while blinded. How do you even miss a smoke bomb?"

Well, if you're already blind yourself, it's difficult to capitalize on a a maneuver that blinds your opponents.

"Really like the new line where Locke now tries to help Danchou relax. I took Cyan this time and really like the way he talks too."

Credit to @Bishop for re-doing all of Cyan's lines.

"Atma Weapon was "defeated by a phantom who was able to dispel its power"? Is that a hint to cast Dispel on it? >.>"

yes.jpg

"-Wasn't expecting the healing lady in Vector to have new dialogue. Kinda FF5 Spoof-y, but nice. Also the inn o.O;;"

That line is me venting some frustration at people who pronounce names from this game wrong.

"-Huh, so that's where Vicks went. Wonder where Wedge is?"

Same place he always was? >.>

"-Wait, how does Terra "remember it all" when she was just a baby? (Well okay, she left when she was 2. That's more reasonable for remembering how her parents met.)"

Shush. You're not supposed to notice the plot hole.

"-When Arvis mentions the new equipment in Narshe, he says they intercepted a shipment "bound from Albrook". You must mean "bound for Albrook.""

No, I mean bound *from* Albrook to the front lines where the Empire's soldiers are fighting. There's little sense in shipping equipment to and from the same continent when there's only one port town on it >.>

"-Lol @ Terra quoting Derpy :v"

So few people notice that one :P

"-So after the Battle on the Bridge, is there a way you could change the espers flying out to ones the player couldn't have? I always thought it was weird seeing a second Shiva and Zoneseek."

It's always bugged me, too, but the game's graphics code is a fucking nightmare.

"-I like the line where Gestahl admits to being weary and asks for a break."

I did this to make it more obvious that breaking is the "correct" choice.

9 hours ago, BTB said:

@Franklin_WI were you running 1.8.5 or 1.8.6? I ask because one of the changes in 1.8.6 should have made running quite a bit easier.

1.8.6, I'm pretty sure. I just looked at the first post in this thread to compare the changelog to my experience, and since Gau could leap in non-Veldt areas and Locke got free turns after stealing, I think it had to have been 1.8.6. I can't say what 1.8.5 was like for comparison, but trying to run often took so long that it resulted in more damage to my party than standing my ground.

Well, the difficulty running thing is a side effect of nATB and allowing speed to affect your starting ATB did help alleviate that problem from the tests I've seen... your complaint is noted.

Similarly, boss HP is an ongoing thing that we look into and tweak as necessary based on player feedback.

Finally, I have a standing offer to anyone interested in actually doing a more "vanilla" script where i will gladly provide the source dialogue for them to work with. I've had a few bites so far, but no serious takers.

Might I invite you to vote in the MVP thread if you haven't already?

On 9/8/2017 at 5:59 PM, BTB said:

"-Huh, so that's where Vicks went. Wonder where Wedge is?"

Same place he always was? >.>

Uh... huh. Guess I'll keep looking then.

"-When Arvis mentions the new equipment in Narshe, he says they intercepted a shipment "bound from Albrook". You must mean "bound for Albrook.""

No, I mean bound *from* Albrook to the front lines where the Empire's soldiers are fighting. There's little sense in shipping equipment to and from the same continent when there's only one port town on it >.>

"Bound from" just sounds really awkward. I figured they were resupplying the Weapon shop there, but that does make more sense.

"-So after the Battle on the Bridge, is there a way you could change the espers flying out to ones the player couldn't have? I always thought it was weird seeing a second Shiva and Zoneseek."

It's always bugged me, too, but the game's graphics code is a fucking nightmare.

I figured there's a good chance they hard-coded the IDs of which espers to use, on account of how the hell would they do those scenes without doing that? Intuition tells me it would load the ID, then load the gfx into memory, then use scripting to describe its movement.

Edited by TimeSpaceMage

Not sure where to post this, didn't want to crap up the character specific threads.

On the Sabin thread you have Mantra listed as level 15 and Aura Bolt as level 20. In my current 1.8.6 playthrough I received Aura Bolt at 15. I'm not sure if this is a bug with the game, or you just messed up on the character guide.

A couple fights where I thought I should have been able to Leap with Gau but wasn't able to:

2 Jinn + Antares battle (Cave to the Sealed Gate). I was able to get the Jinn rage by Leaping in the Jinn + Zombone battle, however.

Ninja scripted fight (Cave to the Sealed Gate). I can kinda understand this one since it's not a random battle, but I thought I was being smart by getting the Ninja rage before the Floating Continent. Feels like it should be a neat little bonus for taking Gau here, and it's not that long before you can get the rage naturally, anyways.

As a rule of thumb, if a formation includes a non-rageable enemy (Antares) it's not leapable. There are some formations that are only leapable enemies that can't be leaped. With leap anywhere it might be worth making those formations leapable...

I don't think any scripted fight can be leaped in.