Sign in to follow this  
BTB

Brave New World 1.8.6 is now available!

158 posts in this topic

So, just letting the group know that we're still alive over here, just been rather busy lately.

As we've been waiting for the next update, I've been pondering an oft-repeated suggestion from @thzfunnymzn to swap the EL bonuses on Tritoch and Maduin. This will have an overall positive effect on Mog as it gives him back his +2 stamina esper, thus allowing him to meaningfully hybridize stamina levels with vigor. The only concerns would be 1) Mog's healing dances may be somewhat OP with access to a +2 stamina esper, and 2) Terra's magic esper gets pushed back to Tritoch.

My knee-jerk reaction is that there are worse things that Terra's magic build can invest in than early MP levels from Carbunkl. In fact, I would dare say that extra MP is much more valuable to her in the early game than +1 magic is. I don't like the idea of her only magic esper being pushed *so* far back, though... even though she was deliberately given only a +1 magic esper since her magic is plenty powerful enough on its own.

Thoughts from the community?

Also, following some discussion in chat, I'm going to make some slight statistical alterations to the Hobos in Zozo to prevent the occasional double Acid Rain from fucking up your day like it currently does.

Some stay dry and others feel the pain...

(Also, the Tritoch/Maduin thing was discussed at length in chat and was decided against unless someone else can provide a *very* compelling reason to the contrary)

On a separate note... since Stealth Suit has been vetoed, I'm still looking for a different name for the Mirage Vest the drops "Vest" since vests are equippable by everyone and this is instead the top of the line for "light" armor. Here are some more suggestions, most of which are clearly inspired by Circle of the Moon:

-Night Suit
-Soldier Garb
-Fatigues
-Zero Suit (lulz)

Edited by BTB

I really like mirage in the name, so I'm biased there but I'll spitball some ideas.

Mirage Shroud. Mirage Mantle. Mirage Cloak. Veiled Garb. 

A) Give Mog access to Odin? He already has access to Doom and the other Poison spells, so the spells make sense for him, so does the +2 Stamina boost.

B) Man I'm kinda impartial to the name Mirage Vest. I don't think it's that confusing that it has different equip restrictions from other vest items. Plus, Mirage Vest is kind of a staple item that's used across several games in the series.

If it has to be changed, maybe just call it "Mirage"? Kinda like the "Minerva." Or Mirage Suit. I think people would be more confused about why an iconic FF item had its name changed slightly than over the whole vest thing tbh.

I would want to avoid Cloak on the sole basis that we already have a cloak as a relic. That said, Mirage Suit or Mirage Gear are both acceptable candidates.

EDIT: Mog getting Odin would be *way* OP. MT death attacks are much stronger in BNW than anyone gives them credit for, and they are thus balanced by only being available to the two slowest characters in the mod.

Edited by BTB

Yeah to be fair I probably don't use X-Zone / Instant-death attacks enough. I'd suggest Stray, but then that'd break the rule of having no more than 2 characters having access to the same Esper.

12 minutes ago, Reiker said:

I don't think it's that confusing that it has different equip restrictions from other vest items. Plus, Mirage Vest is kind of a staple item that's used across several games in the series.

I think people would be more confused about why an iconic FF item had its name changed slightly than over the whole vest thing tbh.

I agree with this. Have we gotten any actual questions/comments about the Mirage Vest distribution? Seems pointless to change it unless it's causing a lot of confusion.

Edited by Synchysi

Nobody has commented on it, no. It's just something I wanted to change for the sake of consistency.

Well, it seems one way or the other, we'd be breaking some form of consistency. So I'd vote for the consistency of keeping the name as is.

That's fine with me, then.

I'll upload a new ROM with the name reverted and a few dialogue changes I made to the Beginner's School in response to some of the LPs I've been watching when I get home, and that's about it for the loose ends for me.

Edited by BTB

Thematically, it kind of makes sense for Maduin to be Stamina +2 since stamina helps Terra survive in her Esper form.  An added benefit is it might help the Atma Weapon get some use in the WoB. 

As to how this affects Mog, the two dances where it makes a big difference are wind song and forest suite.  But wind song is just the hold A for randoms dance, so who really cares about that.  Where it matters more is Harvester; since this also clears statuses, maybe it has to be nerfed a bit.

Separate thought on the topic of item names, what if the Mithril and Diamond Vest became 'Sash'.  The vanilla Power Sash is now the Power Armor, so Sash is unused, and this would make the Mirage Vest the only item using that name.

Edit: The entire 'light' armor line could have unique names: Karate Gi, Dark Shroud, Ninja Gear, Mirage Vest.  

If you want to be consistent in this regard, Mask should not be used by both Tiger and Ninja, nor should Hood be shared by Dark and Cat.  Tiger Mask could become Tiger Turban.  Cat Hood could become Cat Bonnet, giving it a bit more of a feminine and juvenile quality, which then justifies why only Relm and Gau are able to equip it.  

Edited by SuperHario

On 10/24/2017 at 9:05 PM, BTB said:

So, just letting the group know that we're still alive over here, just been rather busy lately.

As we've been waiting for the next update, I've been pondering an oft-repeated suggestion from @thzfunnymzn to swap the EL bonuses on Tritoch and Maduin. This will have an overall positive effect on Mog as it gives him back his +2 stamina esper, thus allowing him to meaningfully hybridize stamina levels with vigor. The only concerns would be 1) Mog's healing dances may be somewhat OP with access to a +2 stamina esper, and 2) Terra's magic esper gets pushed back to Tritoch.

My knee-jerk reaction is that there are worse things that Terra's magic build can invest in than early MP levels from Carbunkl. In fact, I would dare say that extra MP is much more valuable to her in the early game than +1 magic is. I don't like the idea of her only magic esper being pushed *so* far back, though... even though she was deliberately given only a +1 magic esper since her magic is plenty powerful enough on its own.

Thoughts from the community?

Apparently, I missed this entire conversation happening in chat.

Something major I wish to add to the discussion is that I didn't conceive of this idea purely as swapping the two bonuses. Even after looking through the chat discussion, there are two major corollaries missing:

• Tritoch, as Terra's magic esper, would be Mag+1 / MP+15
  • Mog's Dances could be shifted over to keying more off stamina than magic. (In ??? way)

The former gives Terra an actual reason to build her magic, outside of an endgame respec for Ultima spam. Terra not having a magic build for the WoB, mechanically, is trivial - to my limited knowledge, mag Terra really isn't all that great in the WoB anyways. That early on, the benefits from HP+30 and MP+25 heavily outweigh the minor extra damage that Maduin will give to Break. Mag+1 / MP+15 is still low magic growth, but with MP growth attached to it, mag Terra has a bit more to her name besides "Ultima-slinging with lots of stamina." Also, its aesthetically more pleasing for Tritoch to give Magic and for Maduin to give Stamina to Terra. Stamina Tritoch doesn't work quite as well aesthetically. (Stamina +2 is pretty pointless early on, I grant.)

The latter...is another can of worms. Without opening that can, stam+2 mostly means that vig Mog can get some slight improvement to any Song / Suite Dance that he attempts. Oh, I guess it also gives Punisher vig Mog some extra counterattacks too. So, counter Punisher Mog can be either vig or mag.

On 10/25/2017 at 9:50 AM, SuperHario said:

If you want to be consistent in this regard, Mask should not be used by both Tiger and Ninja, nor should Hood be shared by Dark and Cat.  Tiger Mask could become Tiger Turban.  Cat Hood could become Cat Bonnet, giving it a bit more of a feminine and juvenile quality, which then justifies why only Relm and Gau are able to equip it.  

I'm against changing Cat Hood, since it's appeared with that name (or as Cat-Ear Hood) in multiple games.

I've been away from this thread - and site in general - but I'm aching to start a new BNW run anytime soon. Is 1.8.6 the most recent version for now, or is a new update scheduled to be released soon?

1.8.6 is the most current version. 1.9 is mired with a nonfunctional beta until Synchysi can get a new one out.

So, something else that's come up from watching LPs is the encounter rate. After discussing things in Discord, it was proposed to make an adjustment that, in simple terms, raises the minimum number of steps you can take without triggering a battle while leaving the overall rate unchanged. Seibaby has coded this change and it will be present in the next Frankenbeta patch he puts out. If I could get some testing on that, it's one less thing Synchysi will need to do when he puts out a proper beta.

I'm actually working on the next RC this weekend. I'm in the process of combing through the patches posted on this forum to see which need updating, so if he just wants to send it to me, that'd be fine.

On 10/28/2017 at 8:32 PM, BTB said:

1.8.6 is the most current version. 1.9 is mired with a nonfunctional beta until Synchysi can get a new one out.

With this in mind, if I wanted to begin a new playthrough do you think it's worth it to wait a few weeks until 1.9 or is it several months out? 

Always a supporter of your project!