Sign in to follow this  
BTB

Brave New World 1.8.6 is now available!

158 posts in this topic

The current 1.9 beta seems to be good to go. The only significant bug is that the game hangs when Relm is recruited, and I'm pretty sure @seibaby can whip up a quick fix if Synchysi doesn't put out a new RC in the next few days.

I'm waiting on a few fixes - the Relm life hack among them - before putting out the next release candidate.

Edited by Synchysi

seibaby - Today at 3:51 PM

It's a simple matter, but I'd rather leave it to synch
I don't know what causes the crash, but I'm willing to bet it's a simple as a typo
Edited by BTB

On 11/2/2017 at 1:06 PM, TimeSpaceMage said:

A hack for Aquatic Caves was added the other day.

Edit by Admin: Moved to main release thread by request of BTB - Hart-Hunt

I support adding this into to BNW.

12 hours ago, Synchysi said:

I'm waiting on a few fixes - the Relm life hack among them - before putting out the next release candidate.

You just need to change the $66 at CB/F0B9 to $68 instead, since you changed the event command pointer to $68.

12 hours ago, thzfunnymzn said:

I support adding this into to BNW.

It would be much more elegant to, say, take one of the rooms in Ebot's Rock and edit it into an actual underwater room.

Unfortunately, map editing is not our strong suit. @Lockirby2 is the person I'd consult about that.

2 hours ago, Synchysi said:

Yeah, I've got that fixed. I thought there was something else you were working on - a fix for Cover Knight, I think.

Ah yes. I've done some work on Cover Knight v9. Not at computer right now, but I will post it later tonight. You'll have to edit the defines because free space requirements are changed, but otherwise it's ready to go.

So, for the next RC...

• The game will no longer crash when Relm is recruited
• The Zephyr Cape will now case Haste on low HP (instead of whatever it does now)
• Dog Block will be disabled while covering
• The Soul Sabre's BatPower will no longer be hidden in the extended equipment info screen and it and the Blood Sword will no longer be ignored by the optimize routine

This *may* get put out tonight, otherwise it may be a little bit.

Edited by BTB

If it doesn't break BNW, I might actually do so as well. Looks very interesting.

Having Terra pick up Gau is actually interesting. Ties into her looking to the orphans of that town on the Veldt whose name eludes me.

On 11/6/2017 at 10:58 AM, BTB said:

It would be much more elegant to, say, take one of the rooms in Ebot's Rock and edit it into an actual underwater room.

Unfortunately, map editing is not our strong suit. @Lockirby2 is the person I'd consult about that.

Unfortunately, I only did overworld stuff for ROTDS.  I could probably learn how to create indoor maps as well, but anybody could arguably do just as good a job.  It's a whole different ballgame because the indoor maps use multiple layers, and the tiles interact quite differently.

Because Ebot's Rock's rooms are mostly on the same map, and it's randomly chosen whether the rooms have passageways between them, you couldn't just take one of the rooms and make it watery.  You could add in another map for 2.0 with some of Madsiur's expansions, and we could make a new room (or set of rooms) on that map.

Alternatively, we could make a clone of the original map.  Then we could set the event code to have a 50% chance of sending the player to the flooded version of the map (which would presumably have the Serpent Trench palette and possibly a ripple effect), and a 50% chance of sending the player to the normal version of the map.  I'm not sure if that would enhance the mazelike effect of the place, or come off as a lazy/transparent trick.  It would certainly require less effort, and I don't think it would require applying expansions to duplicate a map (if you want to avoid that).

PowerPanda from FF6Hacking was working on the scenario changes.  I liked his thought process on it, so I suspect the result is good, although I haven't tried it.

So, in the post you mention a donation by selbaby.  Does that mean you're accepting Paypal donations or something?  I'm afraid I don't really have any use for a repro cart, and it would bother me that I couldn't put the newest version of BNW on it when you release them anyhow.  Is there somewhere I can just throw a bit of money your way?

Edited by MasterVash

Any "donation" from Seibaby I ever spoke of was referring to the work he has put into this project (unless we're talking about the community donation project we set up to send DN a care package). We don't really take in donations... though I can't in good faith turn down any willing contribution towards my "help my broke girlfriend take her cats to the vet" fund.

Oh, sorry.  I guess I didn't read the post enough.  Still, if you'll take it, I'm happy to regardless of the reason.  I'll PM for more info and to not spam this thread.

Yo, where can I find the changelogs for past updates? I feel silly for not taking the time to figure it out but I just gotta know, as a stalker of the old forums - I remember this thing about esper on-equip bonuses that caught my eye and I wonder if it actually became a thing at some point? No mention of it in the latest patch, at least..

I first played BNW well over a year ago and I never got around to commenting on some things that bugged me most - while I absolutely LOVED the long boss fights and how challenging they can be (pls don't start nerfing them, I know there has been talk of them having too much HP, which I disagree with) there were 2 enemies in particular that either are actually weaker than in vanilla or I just got really really unlucky (or lucky, depending on how you look at it).

Firstly Intangir - was my version bugged or is he not supposed to be way stronger than other enemies at that point in the game? It felt weird when he just died like anyone else. Totally killed that *oh sh1t* feeling that you got in vanilla upon meeting this mega behemoth out of nowhere. I always loved that about FF games, the sense of exploration when you found rare epic monsters hidden in some corner of the world that were hard to take down, but maybe gave something extra nice if you managed to figure out how to beat them. 

The other being Doomgaze. I was psyched to see how strong he'd be in BNW - he's one of the two enemies hailed as pseudo-superbosses on FFVI wiki, the other being the scrapped Kaiser. I couldn't hold it in my pants when I started looking for him, expecting something along the lines of emerald/ruby/omega weapons from later entries - only to beat him during the second encounter without any difficulty. I must've gotten really unlucky or something, maybe my setup just happened to be super strong against him. I tried to make it harder for myself, too: I had only finished one WoR dungeon prior to Doomgaze, so I was kinda hoping for him to utterly humiliate me. Alas, no. Any plans to buff him up to superboss levels maybe someday? Pretty please?

Sorry for the random rant, but it's telling that nothing else comes to mind as I recall the things that I didn't like and wanted to ask about. Truly a magnificent experience playing your mod - keep it real guys!

Edited by Hapanpappa

Past version changelog: http://btb2.free.fr/mods/ff6/Versions.txt

Esper equip bonuses were added in 1.8; they were the main feature.

Since DoomGaze holds Relm's only real means of contributing offensively, we couldn't really make him superboss-level powerful. As far as specific design goes, he's the boss that most warrants shopping for both Diamond and Crystal gear to reduce the damage from his attacks.

Intangir was never intended to be a hard enemy to kill; just a grinding post for magic points.

The only justification I can see for making Doom Gaze harder is to prevent Relm from getting Flare & Meteor too early so that Sketch can shine for a little bit longer. I'm betting most people would rather not rely on Sketch for a chunk of the WoR, let alone the fact it's hard to predict where or where not Sketch would be useful.

Cheers for the fast reply. 

I had totally forgotten about which esper he gave and how essential it was for some characters. I suppose it's unavoidable to keep him relatively weak as long as there's a critical item behind him. I take it it hasn't been a point of consideration to move the esper elsewhere/change other stuff to allow for a harder Doomgaze? I mean, it'd be rad after all, wouldn't it?

1.9 seems to be worth waiting for. It's been on my mind for so long to rerun this thing. How far into the beta are we?

I wonder if my two cents would mean anything here but...mayhap we could allow earlier spells available through brushes? If you wanted Relm to contribute offensively without using sketch and boost Doom Gaze to a "superboss" level you could probably just give some spells via brushes or any other item you would think could be necessary; I did have some troubles taking Doom Gaze down early but in all honesty i felt i had a harder time in v.1.8.5 than the recent versions...is it just me? Anyhow, it is not impossible nor that hard to take Doom Gaze on early...(TBH i had more troubles with Tiamat...goddamn Meteo!)

It is actually not necessary to give Relm another means of contributing offensively, but i felt that maybe i should at least suggest this.

I don't like the idea of buffing DoomGaze, because I don't like the idea of getting obliterated by a random encounter while using a mode of transportation that normally isn't supposed to have random encounters at all. 

That said, the idea of making one of the legendary demons sealed away long ago into a powerful enemy does appeal to me. Maybe for a future content release, DoomGaze and Phunbaba could be made to simply run away to gather their strength when defeated, instead of outright slain? Perhaps they fled because they weren't taking it seriously enough, and were far more wounded than they expected to be and so retreated to temporarily heal up. Then you can either go to a new dungeon, or a new part of an old dungeon, where they retreated to in order to recover and prepare for the next battle.

But right now, I see no reason for DoomGaze or Phunbaba to be anything other than what they are, since they're gates to actual content at present.

Edited by vonriel

I thought randomly running into him wasn't a thing anymore? Well, I assumed since there's the shortcut option.. 

I for one have always loved randomly running into scary freaking enemies in games and getting my ass handed to me. Maybe people just prefer their games predictable and perfectly "fair" like that, without surprises. 

But indeed, it just boils down do how more superbosses would be awesome to see, one way or another.. Doomgaze and Phunbaba come to mind first as the prime contenders for that.

Edited by Hapanpappa

Woah, I actually really like the idea of the 3 story rewrite, taking part of Sabin's quest and adding it to Terra's to equal out the length of each. I also like the idea of Locke getting Shadow, giving you another option for the Battle of Narshe, since you can get Shadow right after for the Save Terra/ Zozo walk anyway. The only issue I can think of is this would naturally remove the Mr Thou scene, and tie Gau to Terra instead of Cyan & Sabin, who's one of the better written character interaction trios in the game. Still, I'm curious if they add a scene to compensate for Terra & Gau... might have to try this out later! 

So I've been reading up on some past changelogs, and apparently the auction house was recently disabled from the game for the time being? Can someone at least ease my mind that the Espers normally obtainable here are not missable in anyway, or WoB exclusive?

Cheers!