Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rynzer

Future Development, Feedback, and Suggestions

14 posts in this topic

So here's a list of the things I am looking to do in the future. It's not really in any order except the first. Let me know if you have any ideas for development!

• Have the forum indexed and the mod added to the Downloads section for better visibility.
  • Get more people to play the current version of the mod so any lingering issues may be addressed.
  • Overhaul the entire enemy AI section so that I can do some more interesting things with enemies.
  • Take a look at enemy stats once again to try and create varied combat situations.
  • Potentially change the glove/ring equipment slot to an accessory slot more similar to the one found in FFV. This would open up the possibility for some status/elemental immunities earlier in the game.
  • Replace Rydia and Kain's secondary commands with something a bit more useful.
  • Add some lore-friendly super-bosses to the game.
  • Squash bugs.

Something I've run into is arrows being consumable. I bought shortbows and iron arrows for the twins at the beginning of the game and they ran through their one arrow pretty quickly!

Posted (edited)

That's been a patching issue in the past. Make sure you're patching the correct ROM as indicated in the readme.

Edit: And for further posterity, I tested on the most recent version and it's still working correctly.

Edited by Rynzer

2 hours ago, Rynzer said:

That's been a patching issue in the past. Make sure you're patching the correct ROM as indicated in the readme.

Edit: And for further posterity, I tested on the most recent version and it's still working correctly.

That's funny that there's been no obvious hang-up until that. I'll look for a different ROM. Can I use the same save?

Yea, the 1.0 ROM and 1.1 ROM differ in very few places, but after some time in the game... odd things start to happen.

You can re-use the same saves, just make sure you name the new ROM the same as the old one.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Rynzer said:

You can re-use the same saves, just make sure you name the new ROM the same as the old one.

Unless it's Mednafen which uses unique generated save names if the rom changes.. but you can start a game to generate a save then rename the old one to that. (Sorry, didn't want other people to run into this and get confused)

Edited by Hordequester

5 hours ago, Hordequester said:

Unless it's Mednafen which uses unique generated save names if the rom changes.. but you can start a game to generate a save then rename the old one to that. (Sorry, didn't want other people to run into this and get confused)

I don't think that's a terribly common emulator (I had to look it up to know what is was). Seems like most people use SNES9x.

Posted (edited)

On 5/11/2017 at 0:42 AM, Rynzer said:

I don't think that's a terribly common emulator (I had to look it up to know what is was). Seems like most people use SNES9x.

It is the single largest multi-system emulator and its core is used in things like Retroarch (which uses an outdated version of mednafen that does not get updated nearly enough) and many multi-system android emulation boxes. I use it because it does PSX faster than ePSXe on my old media pc, runs every console from the same one click interface instead of jumping around, and has the same settings for all consoles. Aside from ECC hardchecks and savefile unique keys it is the best thing for mod jumpers like me.

Update: If you change the mednafen cfg line "filesys.fname_sav " to read "filesys.fname_sav %F.%x" It will fix it so that MD5 hashes are no longer appended to save files. There's a line in there for state saves too a few lines below it.. that you can change to "filesys.fname_state %f.%X" to get rid of hashes from that as well. So, no more having to rename files every patch update.

Edited by Hordequester

I've been playing this, and it's pretty fun so far, but I noticed that there was a bug (in all SNES/SFC versions of FF4) that is maintained in this hack. I'm not sure if you didn't know about it or what, but:

Weapons that are Back Row OK, after setting whatever bit they set on the character so they deal full damage from the back row, do not unset this bit when they are unequipped. In other words, once someone's touched a Back Row OK weapon, they never have a reason to be in the front row ever again. A similar bug exists with vanilla's Can't Crit flag, that I believe is set for axes and whips.

Taking a glance at the Weapon Chart, the main people to benefit from this bug are Cid, Edge, and Kain (though the latter can only take advantage if you kept the Tomahawk from the Feymarch). Palom, Porom, Rosa, and Rydia can technically benefit, if they cared about their Attack command (or more relevantly, if they cared about it with melee weapons).

Might be worth looking into, or maybe just leave it in for observant players to (ab)use. *shrug*

19 hours ago, aturtledoesbite said:

I've been playing this, and it's pretty fun so far, but I noticed that there was a bug (in all SNES/SFC versions of FF4) that is maintained in this hack. I'm not sure if you didn't know about it or what, but:

Weapons that are Back Row OK, after setting whatever bit they set on the character so they deal full damage from the back row, do not unset this bit when they are unequipped. In other words, once someone's touched a Back Row OK weapon, they never have a reason to be in the front row ever again. A similar bug exists with vanilla's Can't Crit flag, that I believe is set for axes and whips.

Taking a glance at the Weapon Chart, the main people to benefit from this bug are Cid, Edge, and Kain (though the latter can only take advantage if you kept the Tomahawk from the Feymarch). Palom, Porom, Rosa, and Rydia can technically benefit, if they cared about their Attack command (or more relevantly, if they cared about it with melee weapons).

Might be worth looking into, or maybe just leave it in for observant players to (ab)use. *shrug*

Thanks for bringing this up. I'll have to look into it, though I hadn't heard about this particular bug before (I had heard about the crit one though).

Posted (edited)

Finished it~

Most of this is going to just be stream-of-consciousness commentary. With that said, here we go:

• "DrkWv" instead of something like "Dark"? Any particular reason for that?
  • It's a shame the Novice Rod and Beginner Staff are so worthless. Maybe they could give +1 WIS/WIL or be evocable for Magic Missile/Waken (probably only one of these changes, though)? As it stands, there's no reason at all, except maybe time, to not just grind out the 600 gil at the start to get the twins a set of bows and quivers.
  • Given that black magic is now, as a whole, single-target, multi-flan formations feel particularly spiteful. I learned quickly that they were never worth the resource expenditure (Rydia's summons didn't really help, either, since they often survived the first eidolon, and 60+ MP for a single pack of enemies is not ideal).
  • Edge is way too powerful, full stop. His weapons may have halved attack power or so to balance out the fact that he gets two, but the stat bonuses don't seem to account for this. As such, you're looking at an Edge who gets +40 to STR and AGI by endgame. By contrast, Cecil only gets +15 STR, and Kain only +25 STR, and that's leaving out the fact that he's getting two turns to their one since neither get any AGI from their typical gear. From the moment I learned Fury, I found very few bosses posed much trouble to a Berserked Edge with everyone else on healing duty (and Kain on 'get your turn box out of the way, more important people need to act' duty).
  • I realize this isn't really an issue with your romhack so much as it is an issue with every single version of FF4, but it's exacerbated here due to the trading of Arms for Accessory: any gear that Dark Knight Cecil has equipped when becoming a Paladin is lost forever. I don't know if this is able to be remedied, especially since it can't just be pushed to your inventory, given space limits. (I guess I didn't need that Ruby Ring after all...)
  • letting the excalibur be obtainable right before having to do the magnet cave: RUDE >:(
  • I'm...assuming that Adamant Armor is obtained in the usual way? I spent 15-20 minutes in that room and didn't see a single flan princess, which I suppose is about right. I just figured it'd be more interesting to tie the Adamant Armor to a real sidequest, kind of like the other sidequests you had (but probably more difficult, of course). Has the added benefit of limiting the player to only one, instead of 'however many they can trade their sanity in for'. (EDIT: I should mention, if it is still tied to the Pink Tail, that kind of goes against the readme saying that enemies don't drop equipment anymore; sure the tail itself can't be worn, but when it has exactly one purpose, and that purpose is to get exactly one piece of equipment...)

Hmm. That's all I can think of right now. I'm refraining on commenting on the plot, because I'm unfairly biased toward vanilla so I'm not going to be the biggest fan of changes to the script.

Edited by aturtledoesbite

12 hours ago, aturtledoesbite said:

Finished it~

Most of this is going to just be stream-of-consciousness commentary. With that said, here we go:

• "DrkWv" instead of something like "Dark"? Any particular reason for that?
  • It's a shame the Novice Rod and Beginner Staff are so worthless. Maybe they could give +1 WIS/WIL or be evocable for Magic Missile/Waken (probably only one of these changes, though)? As it stands, there's no reason at all, except maybe time, to not just grind out the 600 gil at the start to get the twins a set of bows and quivers.
  • Given that black magic is now, as a whole, single-target, multi-flan formations feel particularly spiteful. I learned quickly that they were never worth the resource expenditure (Rydia's summons didn't really help, either, since they often survived the first eidolon, and 60+ MP for a single pack of enemies is not ideal).
  • Edge is way too powerful, full stop. His weapons may have halved attack power or so to balance out the fact that he gets two, but the stat bonuses don't seem to account for this. As such, you're looking at an Edge who gets +40 to STR and AGI by endgame. By contrast, Cecil only gets +15 STR, and Kain only +25 STR, and that's leaving out the fact that he's getting two turns to their one since neither get any AGI from their typical gear. From the moment I learned Fury, I found very few bosses posed much trouble to a Berserked Edge with everyone else on healing duty (and Kain on 'get your turn box out of the way, more important people need to act' duty).
  • I realize this isn't really an issue with your romhack so much as it is an issue with every single version of FF4, but it's exacerbated here due to the trading of Arms for Accessory: any gear that Dark Knight Cecil has equipped when becoming a Paladin is lost forever. I don't know if this is able to be remedied, especially since it can't just be pushed to your inventory, given space limits. (I guess I didn't need that Ruby Ring after all...)
  • letting the excalibur be obtainable right before having to do the magnet cave: RUDE >:(
  • I'm...assuming that Adamant Armor is obtained in the usual way? I spent 15-20 minutes in that room and didn't see a single flan princess, which I suppose is about right. I just figured it'd be more interesting to tie the Adamant Armor to a real sidequest, kind of like the other sidequests you had (but probably more difficult, of course). Has the added benefit of limiting the player to only one, instead of 'however many they can trade their sanity in for'. (EDIT: I should mention, if it is still tied to the Pink Tail, that kind of goes against the readme saying that enemies don't drop equipment anymore; sure the tail itself can't be worn, but when it has exactly one purpose, and that purpose is to get exactly one piece of equipment...)

Hmm. That's all I can think of right now. I'm refraining on commenting on the plot, because I'm unfairly biased toward vanilla so I'm not going to be the biggest fan of changes to the script.

I went with DrkWv instead of Dark to describe it a bit better. Five character limits really suck.

The beginner equipment for most characters is just to give you an idea of what they can use. Stats are also only able to be increased by +3/5/10/15 or negatives of those (which only one item has).

Edge is pretty decent at clearing flan encounters early-on, but you'll likely need to use MP restoring items. With regards to Edge's power, yes, he is very strong offensively. He is also the most defensively weak (though back row makes him a bit less squishy). It's difficult to buff other characters without making the game feel too easy or nerfing Edge and making him feel useless.

I tried to have Cecil's gear stick to his character when he becomes a Paladin, but it lead to issues such at the game ignoring his Paladin starting equipment among other things.

I mean, the Excalibur is a giant hunk of metal, so... :P

The Adamant Armor is obtained the usual way. I upped the drop rate on the tail, but left the encounter rare. I'm not too concerned with the readme being slightly misleading for that one piece of gear.

Thanks for playing! Hope you enjoyed it.

I had a feeling that the stat bonuses on gear wasn't exactly 'whatever you like'. Based on the options you listed, I'm pretty sure I can guess how the game stores it.

The main thing, I think, to help balance Edge a little better is to tone down the stat bonuses on his weapons, since he gets two of them and shields don't provide bonuses for the other characters. Something kind of like this, maybe? I dunno, dual-wielding is hard and I don't know FF4's numbers too well. And I will admit, if I had to put him in the front row the whole time instead of just letting him touch a moonring once, it probably would've been a bit tougher to keep him up.

I figured there were going to be issues either way for the paladinization, equipment-wise. At least you give him starter gear in the first place, instead of a sword and a shirt and calling it a day. :P

Speaking of, the fact that a certain sword is DKN/PLD OK made the fight vs. the Dark Knight (probably unintentionally) hilarious. "oh wait i have to actually fight him, this is a tough fight whatever will i d--" *open items, swap legend for leech*

...I wonder what it means, thematically, for Cecil to absorb his dark side. :thinking:

I did enjoy it! Thanks for making this!

The Leech sword was something I added around the time I made the Dark Knight fight an actual fight. I just wanted there to be a couple ways to heal yourself in the event you don't have items.