BTB

Mog: Mascot With Attitude, Kupo

42 posts in this topic

On 10/2/2017 at 9:31 PM, artemi said:

I don't know if it'll help much since I play through slower, but I'm committing myself to playing some version of grounded Mog. I want to try him out with Umaro doing bodyguard duty and/or throwing Mog, maybe with Edgar Jumping for maximum throwing. Probably X-Mog, that seems interesting to me. 

Came here to say the same! Grounded Mog + Umaro throwing him + Eddy and Gogo leaving the ground with only Mog left for Umaro to throw, it's a very interesting team. Mog can haste the slow yeti and dual cast another spell against enemies so to not feel like it's a chore to buff Umaro all the time before being allowed to start attacking or perhaps consider sharing the chore with Edgar and another mate with haste in order to focus solely on building one helluva dancer. Mog's Palidor summons with multi-jumping Edgar also sounds cool as it would give Edgar a free jump to rain more stabs (can you have two raining dragoons in this mod?). I haven't seen anyone else mention a Mog and Umaro team which is strange considering Umaro was designed for it. EDIT: Forgot about the Umaro thread, doh. 

Edited by Nomjitsu

...I have simply never considered trying to abuse "Umaro Throws Mog for 9999" strats. And, with a severe lack of experience, I'm not sure how to theory-craft them properly. Kneejerk thought is that they're technically sub-optimal, although probably very fun and perhaps far less sub-optimal than other sub-optimal options (mostly sub-optimal because of Umaro, though Cover Umaro does exist nowadays?). Still, without at least 2-3 runs of actually giving it a shot, I simply cannot comment, not even pairing Sage Mog with it.

Looking back through this topic, it seems SirNewtonFig kinda hit on the only real gameplan I thought was really worthwhile for Sage Stone Mog: a Dance Mog, primarily Forest Suite, who uses X-Magic for its utility and more reliable damage. And, in that regard, his conclusion isn't totally dissimilar to mine: the gameplan works, but it doesn't feel totally satisfying. (I've traditionally looked to X-Mog as a full-on "X-Quake blaster caster with Crystal Orb", which....I don't think really works out too well). Again, never played Sage Mog + Umaro, though I'd wager that if it's this Dance Sage Mog with Umaro, it's probably working fine.

Gogo has better things to do than jump around all day anyway. Replace him with Fig's chakra Sabin idea, though I feel weird having a non-magic user ingest mp he won't use, and Edgar would miss the juice while in the air, which makes Sabin feel underused all because I want to gamble on the moogle toss. Perhaps modify the toss so that Umaro doesn't feel underused when Mog isn't by his side. 

9 hours ago, Nomjitsu said:

Perhaps modify the toss so that Umaro doesn't feel underused when Mog isn't by his side. 

Put Umaro into Berserk it doubles his strength and for some reason he can still use all of his ability which will get the boost from berserk ^^

12 hours ago, Nomjitsu said:

Gogo has better things to do than jump around all day anyway. Replace him with Fig's chakra Sabin idea, though I feel weird having a non-magic user ingest mp he won't use, and Edgar would miss the juice while in the air, which makes Sabin feel underused all because I want to gamble on the moogle toss. Perhaps modify the toss so that Umaro doesn't feel underused when Mog isn't by his side. 

Honestly, I see nothing wrong with pairing at least Dragoon Edgar with Umaro and Mog to try and get better chances of Umaro throwing Mog (1/3 chance to 1/2 chance). Just would need the 4th party member to be a healer / support instead of yet another attacker.

2 hours ago, Nesouk said:

Put Umaro into Berserk it doubles his strength and for some reason he can still use all of his ability which will get the boost from berserk ^^

...This is beautiful. You know what, I think I might actually bring Umaro to Kefka's more often. Hero Ring Cover strats and Berserk damage multiplier sounds great.

11 minutes ago, thzfunnymzn said:

...This is beautiful. You know what, I think I might actually bring Umaro to Kefka's more often. Hero Ring Cover strats and Berserk damage multiplier sounds great.

Sadly berserk still prevent him to Cover

23 minutes ago, Nesouk said:

Sadly berserk still prevent him to Cover

Herp. Forgot about that. Yeah, just pick between Cover or Berserk, that's fine.

Updated for 2.0

Mog is probably a little unhappy to lose the discounts he was getting the severely underpriced Break and Quake spells, and that's... really the only major thing worth mentioning aside from the sizeable boost (+36) to his base HP.

Edited by BTB

; _ ;

Rip X-Mog as an attacker. Though I guess Sage Stone is still all right for Dance Mog.

Yeah, imo, Break-&-Quake X-Mog just ain't gonna perform well without changing some of the non-numeric special effects of Break and Quake. ('Twas why I mentioned +1 multiplier against Floating on Break. Try to aesthetically focus X-Mog around the idea of Float shenanigans. Alas, Quake is still an issue).

So, to make up for the increased cost, along with the general enemy defense changes I'm making (which shouldn't include many end-game bosses), Break and Quake both are getting an 11% power boost.

Edited by BTB

lol.

For Mog, lower overall magic defense means that Mog will actually prefer using X-Bio (or X-Poison, as it is now known in 1.10), instead of X-Break or X-Quake, as it'd be nearly as strong as X-Break but at a much cheaper cost. Also means Dance Mog's Avalanche won't be any stronger than Razor Leaf, so Forest Suite ahoy!

...plz don't nerf enemy magic defense. It'll just bugger everything up.

How viable is doing a MagMogoon? As in, mostly Shoat levels, Dragoon Seal, and primarily just jumping with rods?

Obviously, the non-proc'd jumps will be lackluster compared to a Palidor build, but the proc'd casts will be really pumped by the high magic stat + jump bonus. Maybe it evens out? With the Moogle Charm, he'll still probably jump pretty quickly.

Edited by pogeymanz

Rod jumping in general is less damage than rod fighting. If you have the MP for MP crits then being in the front row swinging the rod is a higher damage multiplier than jump. It's basically just a more 'defensive' form of rod fighting (jump delay and back row)

3 hours ago, Nowea said:

Rod jumping in general is less damage than rod fighting. If you have the MP for MP crits then being in the front row swinging the rod is a higher damage multiplier than jump. It's basically just a more 'defensive' form of rod fighting (jump delay and back row)

Ah! Good point(s). MP crits don't happen with Jump, right? That's a bummer.

Jump still give a 50% damage bonus, and isn't affect by row so it is still strong and technically safer.

Major update to the guide. Splitting off Geomancer from X-Mog (why on earth didn't I do that before), and being far less critical of X-Mog, if still a little reserved.

Edited by thzfunnymzn