Sign in to follow this  
BTB

BNW: New Game+

12 posts in this topic

Just a thought I had for a potential New Game+ patch (which would be in the Unlockme) that swaps the level and EL caps (and re-adjusts the experience tables for both as necessary). Seems like it would be a fun way for a veteran player to run through. Thoughts?

Edited by BTB

I'd play it. I'm terrible about limiting myself to challenge runs. So...>_>, selfish way for me to have a more challenging run.

HP ELs or EL 50 are still a thing. <_<

Forgive me the necromancy, but the corpse of this thread is not too decayed and the prospect intrigues me. I would think that this might end up requiring a little bit of rebalancing after a few test runs. I feel like you could do an awful lot of damage with double the ELs to play with. Totally worth testing out. Maybe an eventual 2.0 feature? 

I have two sets of thoughts on this.

The first is if this resets character levels, you may need to have people spend time testing out the best approach to deal with magic, lores, rages, and then seeing which weapons and armors need to be removed each new game. I fear that the magic/rages/lores issue might break things with the resets, and most of the fun in new game + is having copies of some of the better equipment around to use and abuse. Given some of the discussions that popped up on insanedifficulty about removing the colleseum entirely, the lack of ability to carry over equipment would become a sore point for some of your players, and would take away some of the fun of a New Game +.

My second thought however is if levels and spells/lores/rages are kept (but EL's and their bonuses reset), it might lead to some gamebreaking hilarity, and could be used to create some triggers for 'new' endings (for example, some joke endings would be easy to setup, like a high level Terra using Ultima or certain items and magic against the Snail while it was defending and somehow 'winning the game' due to that and then getting another New Game +, and that's just the start of what BTB and Synchysi could do with something like that). My fear with this however is it might lead to some gamebreaking glitches. Another thought beyond that is it might be possible to 'cap' some stats at certain levels, and allow the EL bonuses to remain, but that's just random talk at the moment.

5 hours ago, GLH said:

I have two sets of thoughts on this.

The first is if this resets character levels, you may need to have people spend time testing out the best approach to deal with magic, lores, rages, and then seeing which weapons and armors need to be removed each new game. I fear that the magic/rages/lores issue might break things with the resets, and most of the fun in new game + is having copies of some of the better equipment around to use and abuse. Given some of the discussions that popped up on insanedifficulty about removing the colleseum entirely, the lack of ability to carry over equipment would become a sore point for some of your players, and would take away some of the fun of a New Game +.

My second thought however is if levels and spells/lores/rages are kept (but EL's and their bonuses reset), it might lead to some gamebreaking hilarity, and could be used to create some triggers for 'new' endings (for example, some joke endings would be easy to setup, like a high level Terra using Ultima or certain items and magic against the Snail while it was defending and somehow 'winning the game' due to that and then getting another New Game +, and that's just the start of what BTB and Synchysi could do with something like that). My fear with this however is it might lead to some gamebreaking glitches. Another thought beyond that is it might be possible to 'cap' some stats at certain levels, and allow the EL bonuses to remain, but that's just random talk at the moment.

I feel like you're thinking of this in a more advanced way than is intended. This would more akin to a NG but with different rules. It's not really a "Carry stuff over" thing, more of a "Here's a minor tweak that can have an interesting second playthrough"

1 hour ago, Nowea said:

I feel like you're thinking of this in a more advanced way than is intended. This would more akin to a NG but with different rules. It's not really a "Carry stuff over" thing, more of a "Here's a minor tweak that can have an interesting second playthrough"

Would rather think too much than too little. 'sides, 'New Game+' that don't carry over at least some items are not the norm, so better to put some thought into it. If it never shows up, then no biggie, but if it does, than that consideration and planning usually saves a lot of work and effort.:D

If it's just to add difficulty and nothing else though, especially with levels now being capped at 25 and HP being what it is, hmm, I worry that some battles have the potential to become unwinnable by accident (especially for the casual gamers, who might honestly come to hate the New Game+ if that's all it's doing. AoE is my thought that may be the problem with that). That part there will need a lot of testing to make sure that's not the case. I also worry that some of the esper bonuses may cause glitches with specific characters due to stats being raised too far in some cases. It's not totally unworkable, but it would be time consuming in a few places to test out and make work.

Edited by GLH
Forgot to add something

If it carried stats over, then Whelk's shell needs to be defeatable. That's... like... the PRIMARY thing I'd want, is to play through the game a couple times to grind Terra high enough that I can kill that blasted Shell! Revenge, I tell you!