Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nikkolas

My Playthrough

6 posts in this topic

So I was talking to Rynzer on ID and he advised me to come here so here I am. I just got the Hovercraft with Edge and have been playing for a little over 5 hours.

I have only ever completed FFIV Advance so this is all pretty peculiar to me but in a good way. Buying items in 1's and 10's, text limits so they can't even say Hades Helm (or whatever) but just "Hades" and put it next to a picture of a helmet, that is all very strange. I'm actually going to have to use Fat Chocobo here probably.

But apart from my being a baby who grew up with FFVII and only ever played re-releases of the older games....

1. Casting Float after every new loading screen was really annoying.  It eats up your MP in no time. I dunno if that is an intentional part of the challenge ihe hack but I can't say I cared for it.

2 First boss death was Milon Z who I was not expecting so I hadn't even healed since the first fight so was low on MP for the Twins. I tried but I got stuck in a rs loop because he wouldn't stop oneshotting the Twins who of course got put in the front row because it was a ambush. Even putting them in the back wasn't working because he'd just kill them before I could heal them after reviving them.

3. How do you know if you got a status on a boss or even regular enemy? If the animation plays, does that mean it worked? I'm just wondering if Slow is a viable strategy against future bosses and  if debuffs are useful here. Just got done playing SMT and Persona for the first time so they really trained me to love the debuffs.

But overall I'm enjoying myself quite a bit. I'm very eager to see where this story goes considering several characters are dead and the game just started.

1 hour ago, Nikkolas said:

So I was talking to Rynzer on ID and he advised me to come here so here I am. I just got the Hovercraft with Edge and have been playing for a little over 5 hours.

I have only ever completed FFIV Advance so this is all pretty peculiar to me but in a good way. Buying items in 1's and 10's, text limits so they can't even say Hades Helm (or whatever) but just "Hades" and put it next to a picture of a helmet, that is all very strange. I'm actually going to have to use Fat Chocobo here probably.

But apart from my being a baby who grew up with FFVII and only ever played re-releases of the older games....

1. Casting Float after every new loading screen was really annoying.  It eats up your MP in no time. I dunno if that is an intentional part of the challenge ihe hack but I can't say I cared for it.

2 First boss death was Milon Z who I was not expecting so I hadn't even healed since the first fight so was low on MP for the Twins. I tried but I got stuck in a rs loop because he wouldn't stop oneshotting the Twins who of course got put in the front row because it was a ambush. Even putting them in the back wasn't working because he'd just kill them before I could heal them after reviving them.

3. How do you know if you got a status on a boss or even regular enemy? If the animation plays, does that mean it worked? I'm just wondering if Slow is a viable strategy against future bosses and  if debuffs are useful here. Just got done playing SMT and Persona for the first time so they really trained me to love the debuffs.

But overall I'm enjoying myself quite a bit. I'm very eager to see where this story goes considering several characters are dead and the game just started.

Welcome to NG+!

You can actually buy items in different quantities at shops by hovering over the 10, then pressing up, down, or the X button. This will change the quantity by +1, -1, or +10 respectively.

1. This was a limitation of the original game. For some reason, the float status doesn't carry over between floors. Not sure how to make it slightly more permanent.

3. Yes, if the animation plays that means the spell worked. Slow works on pretty much everything and stacks up to three times. Poison is the only other negative status that will work on bosses, and that's due to a bug that was also present in vanilla.

At 10 hours now...

Hardest boss was Octomon or whatever it was called. Cecil couldn't even survive one Deluge and if it hit Rosa, she was history, too. Luckily she evaded it a lot. I ended up just having to leave Cecil for dead on my victorious run.

During FuSoYa's speech, he says "he may also be able to summon the Giant of of Bab-il to annihilate everything on Earth!"

And FuSoYa's reaction to Rydia was priceless, as was her response.
Rydia: Hi, I'm Rydia! Can I play with your beard?

She's still older than the Twins from what i remember so we're not that terrible....

The Red Worms on the Lunar Path were jerks.  I can only assume you have to Stop them or something. I tried Silencing them but their Drain isn't a spell I guess. I ended up just running.

Also a lot of little things are blurring together, we fought Rubicant in Castle Damcyan, right? The fight was decently challenging but so much has happened since then it's fading into memory very quickly.

I just stormed Baron and got Kain and figure this is a good place to stop. Thank God I stocked up on Tinctures, although you seemed to have mercifully made the boss easy after the gauntlet. I haven't written much but I've done a lot. I write less when I'm seriously hooked on a game. I don't want to take time off from enjoying myself. Alas, I'm at Mythril and buying up all the new equipment I can but I'll need to grind for GP to get all of it. But that can wait till later.

The Row management in this game is really a double- edged sword. Like, it's cool that if you get a back attack, you can fix it all with one turn. On the other hand, you always have to have 3 front line or back row characters. Edge dies so much I would love to put him in the back and just have him attack from there (like Shadow, a much better Ninja) but of course putting Rosa or Rydia in the front is unthinkable. Oh well.

The inventory management is also a pain.( Although thank you for the tip on getting specific quantities of items!) Was this a technological limitation? I'm not trying to criticize you or anything, it's just not something I'm used to in an FF game. I'm just like, you never know what you'll need. I want as many status curing items as possible, I want multiple elemental weapons and shields, etc..

I can't remember how long FFIV is so I dunno if your hack is roughly the same length or not. I'm hoping there's a lot of game left though in spite of the fact  i have my endgame party now.

Your Cecil may have been wearing the FireWard shield, which makes him weak to Ice (this status flip-flop is hard-coded to the game). Ice and water share elements in FFIV, so that could explain that.

Thanks for pointing out the typo. I feel like I did a pretty good job with the text and dialogue in the game, but every now and then someone points out a dumb mistake I made. I did a lot of work on this game in the wee hours of the morning, so the corrections are very much appreciated.

Red Worms use both Drain and Vampire. Drain is a spell (noted by the icon next to it when cast), but Vampire is not. Silence will prevent Drain, but you cannot silence enemy skills like Vampire.

The Baron gauntlet used to be brutal until I was convinced to tone it back some during beta.

You can always put Rosa, Rydia, and Edge in the back row with the rest of the party in the front. Edge is pretty strong as it is, and it doesn't affect his damage too terribly. He also has ranged weapon options as well as Throw and Ninja ignoring row.

The inventory management in FF games before V was really bad. I think IV was the first to introduce buying of multiples, so it was a bit clunky (just like the whole shop interface). It's also the reason I made access to the Fat Chocobo free. It can be a bit bothersome to have to lug your stuff around to the Fat Chocobo every now and then, but it's worth it over the hassle of playing inventory Jenga constantly.

FFIV is one of the shorter FF games, but you still have a bit to go as well as quite a few optional sidequests. Very happy to hear that you're thoroughly enjoying it!

Wow, you're totally right about Cecil and the shield. I never even thought about that in spite of the fact you did clearly mention resistance to one element makes you weak to another. That's just my bad. I'll have to try and keep this in mind in future. It's not something you see in any other FF game I know of.

And yeah, I've been enjoying your dialogue and story alterations. That little typo could happen to anybody.

The Tower of Zot was the hardest dungeon all game outside the very earliest ones when we had no health or MP or anything.  It wasn't helped by the fact I accidentally hit a key and loaded a state from before I even did Magnetic Cave. I had no idea states overrode save files and all my progress was gone in a split second. Luckily FIV dungeons are pretty short and Iknew what I was doing the second time around so both the Cave and the Giant of Bab-il were quick but it was still kinda frustrating.

But I have the Lunar Whale now and  ifeel like this is the endgame in the hack just like the main game?

Only side stuff I've done is get the Murasame and Odin. A person in Toroia Castle said Titan is a Fiend in a cave nearby but I couldn't find the cave.

There's also these people in this cave on the Moon who say a bunch of cryptic stuff that I assume is referring o our party members but I have no idea what that is about.

Is there anything else I'm missing? I'd be happy to do it.

You're pretty much at the endgame, yes. The Hummingways give you hints to other sidequests in the game. There's a pseudo-hidden thing you have to do to complete the rest of the sidequests; you've already done half of it. I can fill you in if you get stumped.

As for Titan, there's only one cave nearby Toroia... ;)