Brave New EarlHi

Suggestion: The Unfriendly Skies

10 posts in this topic

A post I saw suggesting random encounters on the ferry reminded me about how Setzer informs us that the "skies are a lot unfriendlier these days." foreshadowing Doomgaze.

Well, that's great, but wouldn't it make more sense if Doomgaze wasn't the only thing flying around up there that wanted to eat you?

I submit that there should be more random encounters in the air that the party needs to deal with outside of Doomgaze. There are already suitable backgrounds that wouldn't need to be modified, and plenty of flying creatures to use. It would also allow for an element of surprise when Doomgaze actually appears, since at this time everyone knows that the only air encounter is Doomgaze.

In addition to randoms, I also suggest that another boss encounter be added, one you can't just select to chase down. Perhaps one of the legendary dragons could be flying around menacingly? Perhaps a mechanical horror set loose by Kefka?

One final suggestion would be more complex, but what about a script event, perhaps after the party first fights Doomgaze or any other air battle, where the Falcon gets damaged and is forced to land on Triangle Island, where the party is forced to wait until repairs are completed. They explore the island, encounter the Zone Eater, and after recruiting Gogo the Falcon is repaired.

Edited by Brave New EarlHi
Moar suggestions!

Sky randoms would be kinda interesting.... though, quite frankly, I've never been the hugest fan of the random encounter system as a whole.

I don't think you're gonna get away from random encounters with BNW. (They're not THAT bad, so long as the encounter rate is reasonable *cough Ancient Castle cough*). I wouldn't mind more sky encounters. I really like his suggestion of introducing more story events into the WoR, but I have no illusion that such a thing would actually happen.

I am one of those weird people who loves random encounters; even the sound and visual effects leading in to the battle still gives me a thrilling jolt, even after all these years.

You want to talk insane encounter rates? Shin Megami Tensai Persona.

15 hours ago, BTB said:

I've never been the hugest fan of the random encounter system as a whole.

might I ask what you don't like about them?
maybe it is something that can be addressed in a future patch.

I just don't like it since I think it's an outdated model that just doesn't really hold up well to modern scrutiny. The only real problem is that replacing it is simply beyond the limitations of the engine.

To me, the most interesting random encounters in the game are the ones during scripted events where you have to fight several in a row without healing in between (Serpent Trench, Mine Cart Ride, 1337 River). I would be much more interested in a random encounter system where encounters in dungeons were far less common, but had the potential to "chain" together.

"Chaining" random encounters together sounds like it might be doable with the current engine? Wouldn't really know myself, not a coder.

I personally find the "Defend Terra with Moogles" and "Defend Banon & Esper in Narshe" events to be some of the most interesting personally. Outfit & divide your team effectively, defend key positions. Shame that they're both early game, and that there's no real good story event later on that can be changed to another "Defend Someone" event.

Heck, while I'm on the subject, I'd like another Timed Event. Like the Imperial Banquet, maybe with much more time, but actually challenging encounters. Wouldn't mind more multi-party dungeons either, as I find those very interesting too (esp. if you don't equipment switch between parties).

Not that I expect any of this to be implemented anytime soon, or ever.

There are already a couple of instances where battles are potentially extended, or the conditions at least change somewhat.

1: An enemy calls for back-up. Dadaluma does this, and I recall some troopers and robot-types sounding alarms to do the same in random battles. During the Opera House event, rats will respawn during fights unless you can wipe them out quickly, pressing you for time. Wouldn't it be possible to add calling reinforcements a more common element for some battles, or as another type of "counter" against certain actions the party takes in battle? This could also increase opportunity for strategy, ie: enemies can't call for help if they are affected by certain status effects depending on their type.

2: The battle with Tiamat I always found interesting because it is the only one I can recall where you start in a standard battle formation but are then forced to switch sides because you are effectively ambushed from behind. Imagine the Magitek Research Facility...the party is breaking in to the heart of the Empire...it isn't long before a fight breaks out. You might start with a Preemptive Attack and have full advantage, but didn't take out the Commandos fast enough(maybe one escapes early?) and suddenly you are ambushed by Commandos and Foxhounds and forced in to a Back Attack formation, and then just when you think you have defeated the last enemy, two Protomen emerge(remember that first Commando?) as the last wave and you are forced in to a Pincer Attack formation. Phew! That sounds intense just thinking about it!

I am not a coder so the limitations of the game are unknown to me, but wouldn't something like this be possible to add more flair to battles?

Edited by Brave New EarlHi

I might get flack for saying this, but I get in my airship and travel to avoid random encounters, not get into more of them. The only benefit I can see from aerial encounters is taking advantage of floating enemies weaknesses.

Personally, I think there are too many encounter zones/encounters as it is. Myster Egg helps, but takes up a relic slot. Basically, any thing beggining with "More encounters" isn't gonna jive with me.