Kyrios

Event Brainstorming!

11 posts in this topic

So, on the subject of trying to get some more activity here, I'll fully admit that I'm not all that great at coming up with events and the like, but something that seems to usually be a pretty good bet with you guys is speedrun tourneys. Now, I'm down for a speedrun tourney on a small scale, but I'm curious about a few things.

1. Does anyone have any ideas for what they think would be interesting to speedrun?
  2. Does anyone have any ideas outside of a speedrun tourney that they'd like to put forth for an event?

We're really open to just about anything at this point. Once we get enough suggestions, I'll see about picking one for us to start with, and if there's enough, we might even put them on some kind of rotation.

Ideas! Post 'em! Let's go!

I was thinking I could set up some weird version of FF7 (something that goes up to and ends at Midgar maybe) that has weird mechanics to it, put it out, and see who can beat it the fastest. It'd probably be something like 1h30 per run, or faster if I strip out most of the story components.

Edited by Sega Chief

13 minutes ago, Rynzer said:

Maybe some kind of "Get yourself modding" contest where participants create a small portion of a game and everyone votes on their favorite.

That's not a bad idea. Maybe not what we should start with, but not a bad idea at all.

1. You need a game that isn't run by one of our community members, otherwise it'll be a blowout.  Probably either a short category or a short game in general also, since a longer game/category will be a huge time investment to learn and watch the tourney for.

2.  I like the modding contest idea better.  Something with an intuitive enough editor that a beginner modder could create a stage of a game in a day or 2.

event.jpg

3 hours ago, Sega Chief said:

I was thinking I could set up some weird version of FF7 (something that goes up to and ends at Midgar maybe) that has weird mechanics to it, put it out, and see who can beat it the fastest. It'd probably be something like 1h30 per run, or faster if I strip out most of the story components.

I really, really like this idea, but that's a smidge long for what I had in mind originally.

1 hour ago, Rynzer said:

I was thinking something super bite-sized, like a single level/stage for a platformer, dungeon for an RPG, and even include things like UI changes for games, music tracks, or artwork for those more artistically inclined.

Yeah, that's more or less what I was thinking.

I like the modding contest one as well, but that's definitely not going to be the first event.

It almost sounds like it might be an interesting idea for an entire "community mod" to be worked on. Find a level editor that is relatively user friendly and assign people "level numbers" in that, then let them make a single level of a platformer. An organizer would them run through each level then organize them all into a game. (Lunar Magic comes to mind)

8 minutes ago, Nowea said:

It almost sounds like it might be an interesting idea for an entire "community mod" to be worked on. Find a level editor that is relatively user friendly and assign people "level numbers" in that, then let them make a single level of a platformer. An organizer would them run through each level then organize them all into a game. (Lunar Magic comes to mind)

...and then we all try to finish the game as fast as possible.

How about some kind of event where the modders on this site play/stream succession games of each other's mods?

Non-modders invited too, of course.

Honestly, something I've wanted to do for a while is see retro mod runs.  By which I mean, old versions of mods.  I've though it would be really interesting to see a bunch of people, veterans and newbies alike, running FFT 1.3.0.3 all at once.  The resulting discussion of what improvements have been made would be interesting, and helpful for future modding.  It's one thing to see a problem and fix it; it's another to temporarily return to how things used to be and suddenly realize different ways those improvements could have been attempted.  Like, when the electricity goes out and one reads by candlelight, one might gain an insight into how a well-placed mirror could improve a space even with electric lighting.

Maybe weird analogy.  Still, I like my thought.

We did a screenshot contest at ff6hacking.com. We wanted to make it as open as possible so you could only edit dialogues. But a variance requiring some modding skills could be "WTF Screenshot Contest" with no limitation and no specific game, meaning you mod a specific scene, event, battle, w/e or use existing elements and twist them. More than one submission per user is possible, community or admin team could vote for winner.