Sign in to follow this  
TheJuice

Help with Magus

4 posts in this topic

Didn't see a forum for it, so posting in the general.

[edit by @Kaffe Myers: Moved thread to the newly created CT:LA sub-forum]

Actually need some help; Magus is killing me. I just can't seem to dps his risk phase hard enough, and dark matter is an instant wipe.

My guess is the party is the problem, but idk. Using Marle, which is bad because double water and low dps without dual tech, but I can't imagine it being possible without haste. I don't think you're intended to grind high enough to survive dark matter either. Techs are up to lightning 2, heal, and haste for them. Lucca and Robo have been using pretty sparingly and would require a bunch of grinding, Lucca just got Napalm and Robo is 300+ tech from group heal. 

Any suggestions? 

Edited by zombero

You should have access to 2 barriers (consumable that gives magic defense up) and HP increasing earrings, maybe some M.Def increasing armors?
M.Def (and maxHP) is the key here, imo.
In case you didn't know, M.Def is (almost) a straight % reduction, so going from 40 (-60% dmg) to 50 (-50% dmg) is about 20% less damage taken.
How much does Dark Matter outdamage your max HP? You should have more than enough time to get back to full between two casts.
If all else fails stuff it all on Crono and go solo:

I can only second what Praetarius is saying: you should stack as much Mdef as possible and use the two barriers you should have available as soon as Magus' second phase begins. Robo has very low Mdef early, so I wouldn't recommend him anyway. 

Double water does slow down the battle, but if you need the healing you'll simply need to suck it up. Just heal up and force a barrier switch if it is something you can't hit. This is definitely a battle where careful healing and playing around his huge damage output are important.