praetarius5018

Lufia 2 - Age of the Sinistrals

130 posts in this topic

Everytime I patch this there are no spells to learn just blank spaces in the shops with spells that can't be learned and no name that cost no mp. Am I doing something wrong?

This sounds like you used the wrong (un)headered patch - I'm surprised that doesn't outright crash.

The headered version of the ROM should have 2561 KB. unheadered 2560 KB.

zsnes in general has accuracy issues;
several instructions are not well implemented, it mostly was build for speed or being able to run at all on the toasters we had around 2000.

I often forget that it was all we had wayback then - I feel old now :( 

Yeah I still use zsnes most of the time just cause its what I'm used to. But I'm getting a feel for snes9x now. Works pretty good for the most part. Also your hack is pretty damn awesome. Gades kicked my ass, as I was expecting.

praetarius, a friendly request to update the rom hack's description and/or install instructions. I got v8 from romhacking.net and initially loaded it with the snes9x 2005+ core on retroarch and ran into the same issue as Layoneil. Also, while I verified the SHA-1 hash of the input rom as the one specified in the RHDN description, the SHA-1 of the patched rom is not what is in the description, it's 3975c13f1606198ff83893dbe14656dec3f7937d.

After reading this thread I tried the snes9x 2010 core and skills loaded with no problem and the game is playing well so far. Still, I think a heads up in the description would benefit others interested in trying it out. Thanks!

is there even any hack out there that runs on zsnes and is not 100% dependant on its false implementations?

if not I don't see a point to add a note like "requires adhering to common sense like not using super-outdated zsnes"

I was using snes9x 2005 plus, not zsnes, and as jack said above, 

This hack only will work correctly if you use snes9x(+)plus version

which I guess still doesn't hold true for the 2005 edition. Something like "only tested to work with snes9x 2010 and later versions, other emulator support not guaranteed" would be great. It would've saved me an hour or two at any rate. Just a suggestion.

which is not accurate either
I tried it with higane-accurcy build at one point and afaik some even played it on actual hardware via sd2snes carts.
so now what?
"may not work on emulators unsuited to properly reproduce original snes functionality"
well, noone will get what that means either

"Will not work with ZSNES, SNES9x 2005 or earlier."
would be the most accurate restriction we know of atm

Edited by praetarius5018

Hey Praetarius! Thanks so much for this mod, Lufia 2 is one of my favorite games of all time and I'm so excited to finally find a hard mode for it!

I also wanted to report a goofy bug I found! I'm playing on Hard mode [using Snes9x from the Google Play Store, on Chrome OS] and I'm at the Trick Lions in the Phantom Tree cave. I have a savestate right before that fight, though I'm unsure if that factors in.

Anyway, the bug is this: if I boost Guy's defense more than once with Bravery/Courage spells and/or IPs, he gets infinite HP. Makes the fight trivial so I've been reloading when I see it. If it helps I can give you the equipment everyone has on, etc.

Either way, thanks for the mod! I'll try to figure out how to kill these dumdums without boosting my Def, wish me luck :|

I'd need something to reproduce this...
can you by chance get your hands on the in-game savefiles (usually .srm) from before the boss?
with exact steps to trigger this bug.

This seems non-trivial to get; I know I spammed a ton of def buffs in the tests vs Daos and the boss after him before the last patch release.

19 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

can you by chance get your hands on the in-game savefiles (usually .srm) from before the boss?

If I were a smarter person, I'd have copied them to send to you, but I was too excited to progress in the game and plowed through. Sorry!

I found another "999" bug in the Ancient Cave, where Maxim and Selan sometimes had 999 Defense in the Equip/Status screen outside of battle, but it changed back to their normal defense if I equipped something else or got hit for the first time in a fight. I'll see if I can reproduce that!

just to make sure - you don't have any cheats or other modfications active there?

these sound like things that should've been found a long time ago, at least it wouldn't be areas of code I've tempered with in a long while...

ok, so just in case - turn those off please, see if that makes a difference.
some emulators do weird stuff like softpatching ips files to matching rom files, so make sure the .ips files are not in the rom folder.
just to make sure, you patched a U rom of Lufia2, right?

..I'm running out of ideas here

I'm having the same issue with the spell shop:

5f19e11f4ef8f_AgeofSinistrals(WTFisthisshit!).thumb.png.15f4a58287e4027ca1eb62a8f9326d8f.png

The ROM I patched was unheadered. Then I redownloaded it, copied it, named one (Headered) & the other (Unheadered), used NSRT to add a header to the (Headered) copy, then applied each patch to it's respective ROM. Both still produced the same problem. For the record, the EMU I'm using is BSNES v110. Also, what's with that spells.xls file? I know it's a MS Excel file but is it needed for the game or just a reference list?

Edited by Animebryan

Make sure you're using U rom and not E rom.

26 minutes ago, Animebryan said:

I know it's a MS Excel file but is it needed for the game or just a reference list?

Just an overview of which spells exist, who can learn what and the exact stats they give upon learning; though the ingame spell description should suffice most of the time.

Edited by praetarius5018

unheadered + patched has CRC32: 0980CFA2?

also make sure you don't leave the ips file in the folder in case of auto patching emulator shenanigans.

That's what the rom looks like just after downloading it without making any changes to it. I keep the patches in their folder while I move the rom into my main rom directory. Still has that same problem. Nothing I do changes it.