praetarius5018

Lufia 2 - Age of the Sinistrals

130 posts in this topic

Rom hacking never ceases to amaze...
SNES9x? works
ZSNES? only over my dead body
BSNES? menu messed up
Higan? infinite loop on company logo

Can you try adding this patch on top of the patched unheadered rom?

Found another problem. Skill reset should be called Game Reset, since that's all it does. I think I'll wait until you deal with the whole Skill Overload problem, as paying 1/2 your gold is bullshit & then to rebuy skills that are expensive as hell. I don't know why you didn't just allow the player to erase skills individually or at least expand the skill slots.

4 hours ago, Animebryan said:

I don't know why you didn't just allow the player to erase skills individually or at least expand the skill slots.

My original design idea was 20 skill slots and no reset at all.
So the only change I'd go for is exactly that.

that has got nothing to do with each other at all;
you go and demand I change the hack even further away from what my vision for it is and I say no to that,
but that doesn't say anything about me working around how BSNES handles mirrored rom sections different (fucking LoRom), the specs I have disagree with the behaviour of BSNES, in older versions it worked, so dunno. not a concern atm, got other stuff that has priority.

Finally tried it out myself, but I'm not too fond of it, however, because the tutorial enemies are way too overpowered.

I did choose START instead of hard, therefore I expected a somewhat smooth and non-lethal experience at the beginning in order to get warm to the next changes.

However, basically every normal enemy almost brings me down to 0 HP - totally impossible if there are 2 of them. And stronger enemies like a spider are flat out impossible to kill for me right now. Also Lizard Man effortlessly can 2HKO me, so there's not really that much I can do. Aside from grinding. I'm level 4 now and honestly, I just don't feel like grinding. Especially not in the very first actual dungeon. I might have bought some of the new spells, which I didn't, but that's the same issue: I need to grind for money. And I don't want to really spend money before I didn't get a decent grasp about what might be good to buy.

The balancing at the beginning just is terrible. The first dungeon should be more like a playground instead of a minefield.

I have 265 gold right now, I bought boomerangs for 100 but otherwise I spend no money. Therefore right now even if I wanted, I could only buy one single skill.

I'm still in the learning phase, that's why the difficulty curve is way too harsh here. I'm still trying to learn which skills I might buy later, because I don't want to spend my scarce money for some useless skill. The stat boosts from these skills should by no means be the make it or break it criteria already in the very first real dungeon.

Besides, how am I supposed to even know that ALL skills affect my stats at this point of the game? Aside from the description of the passive skills, there is no indication, and nothing really indicates that active skills necessarily work the same way.

You should change the tutorial NPC dialogue texts to do the skills proper justice. As the skills are a big deal for gameplay, it should be something which really is unmissable despite players ignoring NPCs all the time. Like changing one of the elcid people on the outside - especially give that NPC are very distingushable sprite, like a siren enemy, so that nobody dares to not speak to that one.

Again, the problem is: At this point of the game I'm still in sniffing mode. That is, I'm still evaluating for myself whether I generally shall try out the mod at all or not. And in that sniffing mode the worse thing you can do is destroying me that badly. Unless it's explicitly supposed to be a hard mod - which START mode definitely is not.

Edited by Artemis

4 hours ago, Artemis said:

Besides, how am I supposed to even know that ALL skills affect my stats at this point of the game?

Lets see... readme? changes overview list? the second sentence of the description of the hack? not enough?

Still, the enemies in the first dungeon are way too powerful damage sponges. Is there really no other solution than grinding for money and buying lots of skills?

Edited by Artemis

Not sure what is happening on your end;
I just tried tutorial cave and the dungeon afterwards, only bought strong; the only enemies that took more than 2 hits were the mushrooms (4) and the butterflies (3) and that went down after 2 level ups.

3 hits isn't really what I'd consider "way too spongy".

3-4 hits definitely is too much, especially considering the case of 2 enemies at once which leads to 6+ hits.

Also you cannot assume that everyone has Strong at that point. The crucial thing here is that the players are still learning the very basics. Okay, players need to learn the importance of healing, but potions are an option too. However, the way it is now, you have to waste way too much potions/resources - way more than you get from battle rewards. The expected learning curve is just way too harsh.

And, of course, there's still the issue of the boss 2-shoting me.

Edited by Artemis

v10

• put Droplet instead of Spark into Elcid spell shop
  • reduced prices of skills in first few towns
  • reduced HP of mobs in first 2.5 dungeons
  • may or may not finally work on all emulators

Praetarius first thank you for your amazing work, im having a great time with your mod... Until i met Amon.... Man thats impossible, everything gives him health, can you help me overcome this? Maybe what should i equip? Im at level 77 and i did read you advices before but its not enough for me, please help me!!! Everything will do... I saw a youtube battle iwth level 99 and it toke almost 50 minutes!!! Hope you can help me!!!! Tha ks again!!!!