Sign in to follow this  
Nowea

Nowea Hard Type

83 posts in this topic

Yo, is this updated to work with 2.0? I'm deep into my new playthrough and 2.0 is everything I ever dreamed... Except for the difficulty, which feels even tamer than in some older versions - so much so that it undermines the complexity&depth of gameplay and monster AI, since only a few enemies and bosses pose a long/serious enough threat for the mechanics to fully shine. So already craving for a hardtype run instead of just limiting myself and keeping exp off, thereby missing all the cool customization in the mod.

21 hours ago, Hapanpappa said:

Yo, is this updated to work with 2.0? I'm deep into my new playthrough and 2.0 is everything I ever dreamed... Except for the difficulty, which feels even tamer than in some older versions - so much so that it undermines the complexity&depth of gameplay and monster AI, since only a few enemies and bosses pose a long/serious enough threat for the mechanics to fully shine. So already craving for a hardtype run instead of just limiting myself and keeping exp off, thereby missing all the cool customization in the mod.

This is updated to 2.0, yes. Some of the items I added have glitchy animations but they still function (This is addressed on my end but not put out in a patch yet). That being said, make sure you have the unlockme password handy since I don't like people tossing on NHT without any BNW experience.

No worries there, been coming back to BNW occasionally since 1.6x if I recall. Although limiting information is one of the best, and my go-to ways to make any game more difficult, I imagine that won't be needed here. 

Now that I've finished BWN for the umpteenth time, I guess I'll try this bad boy for a spin.

Wish me luck. Or better yet, pray for me.

Edited by Dufaux

Finally got past Hell Angel. All the battles up to it were a cinch, mostly because of a nice little item that has been added to NHT: the Stinger.

What is the Stinger? Only the best sword I've ever seen. It has these properties:

• Dark elemental
  • May counter attack
  • Allows 2nd weapon
  • May cast Sap
  • May instantly kill

It simple roflstomped everything up until now. I've lost count of how many battles I've won by simply countering enemy attacks (which on NHT happen very very often) and the Dark element dealt a ton of damage even to Vargas. But it really got to shine on the Hell Angel battle (which, by the way, is every little bit as hellish as the previous posters said). The strategy that worked on it was this:

• Steal 2 Slim Jims from those fighters at Mt. Kolts.
  • Get the Black Belt relic in the South Figaro basement.
  • Stock on at least 30 dried meats.
  • Put everyone in the back row.
  • Give Locke a Stinger and an Iron Cutlass, set def relics on him becase he'll need it.
  • Give Celes Black Belt.
  • At the start of battle, immediately use the Slim Jims on both characters and set them to defend.
  • PROFIT

Hell Angel might be immune to Dark, but it is NOT immune to sap. The counters on Stinger will guarantee that eventually Hell Angel will get sapped, and whatever damage it may cause you will be mitigated by defend and healed by regen. You simply have to counter/sap it to death. Takes a ridiculous amount of time, though, and you can't really be afk because every time it casts Sleep you will have to set the target to defend again once it wakes. And heal it with a dried meat if Hell Angel casts Tek Laser on them more than twice while they're asleep.

Fun fact: it will only cast fire during the very beginning of the battle. Afterwards it's just Sleep and Tek Laser.

Yeah, Stinger is a super nice Scimitar-Class weapon for the very early game. It drops in usefulness after Zozo usually due to the lack of bpow and weak proc but a sap proc and insta-kill is useful.

Technically he has a 2/3 chance of using Fire any round he doesn't use sleep until he gets under 1024 HP

Continuing on version 2.0:

Got past Dadaluma. My strategy for the Soul Train battle was to have everyone wear ghost rings, and everyone but Cyan defend. Cyan himself had sprint shoes on and spammed mindblow, which derailed the train in three turns.

The Narshe battle was a bit harder, since Terra and Edgar had lower levels than everyone else, but I stocked on dried meats on Nikeah and it proved to be a good idea. Kefka himself fell on the first turn once I stole a tiara from him (was that BNW or a new NHT item? anyway, it was genius).

For the journey to Zozo, I picked Locke, figaro bros and Gau. I don't really like BNW's Shadow, probably because I usually prefer to stock on healing items and never have GP left for scrolls. I didn't hire him. Locke and Edgar had Stingers on, while Sabin had the black belt, and once again the counter attacks carried me. Gau did Gau stuff and either healed with the Soldier rage or dealt some AOEs with Leafer.

Zozo had a couple of surprises, namely the Beatstick and the Hairspray. I'm really enjoying the added items, and can't wait to try the Beatstick on Strago. Or Relm. Or Mog ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

On Dadaluma himself I admit I cheesed a little and had Gau use the Conjurer rage. Dadaluma got so many counter attacks on his face that he fell before getting a chance to use Spoon, and I stole a number of Slim Jims from his cronies. All in all, a profitable encounter.

Now, on to the IMRF.

On 8/22/2017 at 8:30 AM, Nowea said:

Now every item and relic shop has Warp Whistles or Back Guards (respectively).

I'm VERY tempted to do something with Warp Whistles and Back Guard whenever I finally get around to doing my own mod.