Sign in to follow this  
Mishrak

1.9 Beta Bug Reporting Thread

169 posts in this topic

Likely a result of the fact that I can't find it on my hard drive.

It was also mentioned a while back that it was missing from a previous beta.

Edited by Synchysi

You're talking about the hack that D sent you, right?

Should still be in your email history since you never delete anything.

I'll do what I can, but so much stuff has been added lately that I've had no hand in (whether the decision or the implementation) that it's gotten difficult to keep track of.

Remember how Smoke Bombs were killing undead characters.  Well something we overlooked was that smoke bombs weren't the only items that used Extra Effect FF as a "nothing" effect.  Nearly all the consumable items use it.

I just had Gau die from using a Green Cherry on him, and looked through the list of consumable items, and with a few exceptions (Elixir and Dried Meat, for example), nearly all of them used extra effect FF.

To recap, extra effect FF somehow applies the anti-undead effect to the items (I don't know the details, only that that's what's happening).  First noticed when Smoke Bombs killed undead party members, the solution was simply to change the extra effect ID to 00.

From what I can see, these are the currently affected items:

• Spoiler

• Tonic
    • Potion
    • X-Potion
    • Tincture
    • Ether
    • X-Ether
    • Phoenix Down (maybe, it might always miss because they're alive; but i'll test it)
    • Holy Water
    • Antidote
    • Eyedrops
    • Snake Oil
    • Remedy
    • Green Cherry
    • Phoenix Tear (same maybe as Phoenix down)
    • Red Bull
    • Slim Jim

Edited by Satarack

So I heard you like condensed spell lists. Hopefully Synchysi can push out a new patch, but until then, you can apply this to RC11 to enjoy that sweet lack of empty slots in your spell lists. For good measure, I went ahead and edited all the consumables so they don't kill your undead characters anymore.

HasteX is causing sprite palette changes during its animation, where the top most character in the party goes gray.  Example:

Spoiler

Final Fantasy III (n, 1.9 RC11)003.png

Comparing HasteX animation data in earlier versions and vanilla; there's one byte difference between Vanilla and RC11.  Changing HasteX to match vanilla fixed the problem.  It appears that spells were recently rearranged.  HasteX was at a different index in 1.8.6, and was moved to be next to Haste in the spell list.  Slow was at that index, and the discrepancy between Vanilla and RC11 matches Slow's data.

It looks like HasteX's animation data didn't get completely copied over when it was relocated.

Edited by Satarack
proof reading / reducing words

It is my opinion after having observed the latest RC in action that the random encounter patch should be omitted in future builds until it can be further tested independently (and preferably by someone familiar with ASM and a debugger handy).

So, summary of issues with the current patch:

-Spell condensing hack is missing (link to it has been provided earlier on in this thread)
-Quartrstaff/Doomstick patch is messed up (Seibaby?)
-Random encounter patch doesn't seem to work and I recommend removing it for further external testing
-Items may kill undead Gau (existing issue from 1.8; new ROM sent to Synchysi with a fix)
-Bug with the Soul Fire script (existing issue from 1.8; new ROM sent to Synchysi with a fix)
-Whatever the fuck this is: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/160253567012306945/381173416067203092/Final_Fantasy_III_n_1.9_RC11001.png

Right, so the "h" on the bottom left corner of the status screen appears if you enter the Magic Menu.  It will keep showing up in the Status screen until you completely exit the menu.  I tested other menus (Esper, Blitz, Bushido, Lore, Items, etc.) to see if others cause the "h" to appear, but the Magic menu appears to be the only one that does it.

Edited by Satarack

5 minutes ago, Satarack said:

Right, so the "h" on the bottom left corner of the status screen appears if you enter the Magic Menu.  It will keep showing up in the Status screen until you completely exit the menu.  I tested other menus (Esper, Blitz, Bushido, Lore, Items, etc.) to see if others cause the "h" to appear, but the Magic menu appears to be the only one that does it.

What versions does this exist in? It's weird enough that knowing exactly when it showed up is the best way we'll have to figure out what's causing it.

It's not in 1.8.6.  The earliest 1.9 RC I have is RC2 (IIRC RC1 was dead on arrival).  It happens in RC2.  Looks like it was introduced at the very start of the 1.9 beta.

I also have RC3, 4, 5, 8, 9, and 10.  I can check those as well, but since it was in both RC2 and RC11 I'd assume it's been in every RC.

Spell condensing is working, but there's a weird bug with Gau's rages. I don't know if this is from using a save from RC11 (I patched RC12 onto a vanilla ROM and then used my RC11 save) but this is happening, and definitely didn't happen in RC11:

Spoiler

Gaurage1.png

Gaurage2.png

Gaurage3.png

Gaurage3.png

Edited by Deschain

His Rage list on the Skills screen is a little messed up too. Not as messed up, the only thing that's repeating is Conjurer, so I'm not sure why Soldier/Bomb are also repeating in the battle menu.

Gaurage3.png

Also confirmed, both sets of rages are functionally identical. Choosing the Bomb at the top or the Bomb at the bottom both cause him to become a bomb.

I'm starting over a fresh save file (instead of a file from RC11) to see if it still happens.

Edit: Confirmed, started fresh file, got only Conjurer. Skills page and battle menu both have it listed twice.

Gaurage4.png

Edited by Deschain

A minor error with Gogo's Status screen.  When using L or R to switch between characters, the EP needed for next EL from the previous character persists on Gogo's Status screen.

Spoiler

Gogo status screen.gif

EDIT:  This does not happen in 1.8.6.

Edited by Satarack