Tedrainbow

Mod FF9DangerFire 1.2 (PSX Only)

4 posts in this topic

Hello friends, I have just finished working on a MOD for Final Fantasy IX on Playstation. I have called it FF9DangerFire. The changes that I have made with this MOD are listed below.

(For the version 1.2, I will change weapons and armors' stats, as well as modify the prices of everything that can be found in shops.)

The Hats and Helmet gives you a 50% reduction of one or more elements. But are low against an item.

The Armlet and Gauglet increases your power of elements but are low against 2 elements.

The Armor, Robe and Clothes you immune against certain elements but are weak against three other elements.

The Add-Ons absorb certain item but are low against two items.

Only weapons and Gemstone have no positive and negative effects of elementals.

Equipment with Bonus is only weapon and add-ons and Gemstone.

Some Gemstone can give you a bonus of +14 and +12 on 1 stats

All items in store and synthesis is increased by 30% of the normal price.

I will change, Also the watches have more stats than in the original game.

Every normal enemy of CD 1
Adds + 3 to all stats except HP and MP.

Each Normal Boss on CD 1
Adds + 5 on all stats except HP and MP.

Every normal enemy of CD 2
Adds +6 to all stats except HP and MP.

Each Normal Boss on CD 2
Adds + 10 to all stats except HP and MP.

Every normal enemy of CD 3
Adds + 9 to all stats except HP and MP.

Each Normal Boss on CD 3
Adds + 15 to all stats except HP and MP.

Every normal enemy of CD 4
Adds +12 to all stats except HP and MP.

Each Normal Boss on CD 4
Adds + 20 to all stats except HP and MP.

Version 1.1

!The commands list for the following five characters has been modified.

- Zidane
a) The command 'Skill' has been replaced with 'Actio' which allows for the use of many more abilities, some of whom could only be used in Trance state before.
b) In Trance state, the command 'MIXFRA' has replaced Zidane's 'Dyne' abilities. 'MIXFRA' allows you to use 'Lancer', 'Reis' Wind', 'Chakra', and 'Aura'. Each of these abilities can be used twice in one turn like a double cast.

- Vivi
a) 'Magic' is renamed 'Mage UP'.
b) The command 'MIXFRDA' replaces Focus in Vivi's normal state and replaces 'BLK Double' in his Trance state.
c) The command 'MIXFRDA' contains Cure, Cura, Life, Scan, Panacea, Shell, Protect, Reflect, Float, Dispel, Holy, Haste, Stona, Lancer, Reis' Wind, Dragon Breath, White Draw, Luna, Six Dragon, and Cherry Blosom.

- Steiner
a) A new command, 'Mag-arts', groups together both 'SwdTech' and 'MagSwd' abilities under the same menu. More so, the abilities that used to require Vivi to cast can now be used without Vivi.
b) A new command, 'QUAM', now stands as the third action in Steiner's menu. This command contains Curse, Revive, Vanish, Magic Hammer, 1000 Needles, Pumpkin Head, Chakra, and Aura.

- Garnet
a) A new command, 'Aura Good', groups together both 'Summon' and 'White' abilities under the same menu.
b) A new command, 'MIXVIST', now stands as the third action in Garnet's menu. This command contains Fire, Blizzard, Slow, Thunder, osmose, Power Break, Armor Break, and Mental Break.

- Eiko
a) A new command, 'Magica', groups together both 'White' and 'Summon' abilities under the same menu.
b) A new command, 'MIXQUI', now stands as the third action in Eiko's menu. This command contains Goblin Punch, LV5 Death, LV4 Holy, LV3 Def-Less, Soul Blade, What's that!?, Detect, Flee, White Wind, 1000 Needles, Bad Breath, and Mighty Guard.

- All equipments can be used by every character.

Version 1.0

- Every ability costs 13 ability points.
- All spells affecting your characters or enemies have both a positive and negative effect on them.
- All level 1 spells cost 11 mana, all level 2 spells cost 22 mana, and all level 3 spells cost 33 mana.
- The base power of level 1 spells is 5, the base power of level 2 spells is 10, and the base power of level 3 spells is 20.
- Eidolons have more than one element attached to their damage.
- All physical and magical attacks cause poison and darkness effects on the targeted creature or character.
- All characters start with twenty-six ability points.
- All the base character names have been modified.
- Every ability cost 255 AP to learn.
- The experience required to reach level 99 is now 15 millions-the level curve has been adjusted.
- The limit for base HP is now 5000.
- The limit for base MP is now 700.
- The HP and MP of enemies is doubled.
- You now gain less experience from enemies.
---------------------------------
Link to download the patched CDs:

[DO NOT POST, THANKS!]

If you only want the patch, you can use one of these two links

http://www.mediafire.com/file/p0z1du1wqmtp4a2/ModDangerFire.rar
https://1fichier.com/?vb6xrsv0h1

Version 1.2
http://www.mediafire.com/file/31ti5ya5m25avah/ModFF9DangerFireVersion1.2.rar
Or https://1fichier.com/?2j9lhqnrot

Password for 1fichier is ff9angel.

Thank you in advance for testing my MOD ^^ I hope that you will appreciate the fact that this MOD make the game longer.

Exemple of the menu for Zidane:

https://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/661011ZidaneMenu.png

Here you can see that each ability costs 13 MP (so choose the best abilities depending on the situation):

https://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/503824AP13.png

As seen below, your special abilities being available at any time, you will not need to count on the Trance mode. Even though the characters still do more damage in that state.

https://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/744817MagicCost11MP.png

In Version 1.2 is add new system info.

Example of the new Help menu in the game.

https://image.ibb.co/eRkJpv/Weapon.png
https://image.ibb.co/cUEYNF/Half.png
https://image.ibb.co/cD2L2F/Boost.png
https://image.ibb.co/d5VUwa/Immune.png
https://image.ibb.co/bZgDNF/Absorb.png

The two letter characters are abbreviated to the elementary words.

Legend:

Fi = Fire
Ic = Ice
Th = Thunder
Wa = Water
Wi = Wind
Ea = Earth
Ho = Holy
Sh = Shadow

Edited by Tedrainbow

Jesus, where do I begin...?

8 hours ago, Tedrainbow said:

The Hats and Helmet gives you a 50% reduction of one or more elements. But are low against an item.

The Armlet and Gauglet increases your power of elements but are low against 2 elements.

The Armor, Robe and Clothes you immune against certain elements but are weak against three other elements.

The Add-Ons absorb certain item but are low against two items.

Only weapons and Gemstone have no positive and negative effects of elementals.

Equipment with Bonus is only weapon and add-ons and Gemstone.

Some Gemstone can give you a bonus of +14 and +12 on 1 stats

All items in store and synthesis is increased by 30% of the normal price.

I will change, Also the watches have more stats than in the original game.

These changes seem really random and not focused in any way whatsoever. What is your goal here? What kind of mod is this? A difficulty mod? A content mod?

Every normal enemy of CD 1
Adds + 3 to all stats except HP and MP.

Each Normal Boss on CD 1
Adds + 5 on all stats except HP and MP.

Every normal enemy of CD 2
Adds +6 to all stats except HP and MP.

Each Normal Boss on CD 2
Adds + 10 to all stats except HP and MP.

Every normal enemy of CD 3
Adds + 9 to all stats except HP and MP.

Each Normal Boss on CD 3
Adds + 15 to all stats except HP and MP.

Every normal enemy of CD 4
Adds +12 to all stats except HP and MP.

Each Normal Boss on CD 4
Adds + 20 to all stats except HP and MP.

Okay, so definitely not a difficulty mod. With these changes, you might as well not even mod any of the enemies, as changes this small will amount to literally nothing.

Version 1.1

!The commands list for the following five characters has been modified.

- Zidane
a) The command 'Skill' has been replaced with 'Actio' which allows for the use of many more abilities, some of whom could only be used in Trance state before.
b) In Trance state, the command 'MIXFRA' has replaced Zidane's 'Dyne' abilities. 'MIXFRA' allows you to use 'Lancer', 'Reis' Wind', 'Chakra', and 'Aura'. Each of these abilities can be used twice in one turn like a double cast.

- Vivi
a) 'Magic' is renamed 'Mage UP'.
b) The command 'MIXFRDA' replaces Focus in Vivi's normal state and replaces 'BLK Double' in his Trance state.
c) The command 'MIXFRDA' contains Cure, Cura, Life, Scan, Panacea, Shell, Protect, Reflect, Float, Dispel, Holy, Haste, Stona, Lancer, Reis' Wind, Dragon Breath, White Draw, Luna, Six Dragon, and Cherry Blosom.

- Steiner
a) A new command, 'Mag-arts', groups together both 'SwdTech' and 'MagSwd' abilities under the same menu. More so, the abilities that used to require Vivi to cast can now be used without Vivi.
b) A new command, 'QUAM', now stands as the third action in Steiner's menu. This command contains Curse, Revive, Vanish, Magic Hammer, 1000 Needles, Pumpkin Head, Chakra, and Aura.

- Garnet
a) A new command, 'Aura Good', groups together both 'Summon' and 'White' abilities under the same menu.
b) A new command, 'MIXVIST', now stands as the third action in Garnet's menu. This command contains Fire, Blizzard, Slow, Thunder, osmose, Power Break, Armor Break, and Mental Break.

- Eiko
a) A new command, 'Magica', groups together both 'White' and 'Summon' abilities under the same menu.
b) A new command, 'MIXQUI', now stands as the third action in Eiko's menu. This command contains Goblin Punch, LV5 Death, LV4 Holy, LV3 Def-Less, Soul Blade, What's that!?, Detect, Flee, White Wind, 1000 Needles, Bad Breath, and Mighty Guard.

...Why? This seems more like a really shallow randomizer than a mod, at this point. So, not a difficulty mod, not a quality mod... What else is there?

- All equipments can be used by every character.

:poker:

- Every ability costs 13 ability points.
- All spells affecting your characters or enemies have both a positive and negative effect on them.
- All level 1 spells cost 11 mana, all level 2 spells cost 22 mana, and all level 3 spells cost 33 mana.
- The base power of level 1 spells is 5, the base power of level 2 spells is 10, and the base power of level 3 spells is 20.
- Eidolons have more than one element attached to their damage.
- All physical and magical attacks cause poison and darkness effects on the targeted creature or character.
- All characters start with twenty-six ability points.
- All the base character names have been modified.
- Every ability cost 255 AP to learn.
- The experience required to reach level 99 is now 15 millions-the level curve has been adjusted.
- The limit for base HP is now 5000.
- The limit for base MP is now 700.
- The HP and MP of enemies is doubled.
- You now gain less experience from enemies.
---------------------------------

Every ability costs 13 AP? Why? What kind of sense does that make? That literally penalizes the player and actively discourages if not completely shuts down any kind of depth with abilities.

All spells have both a positive and negative effect on them now? Why? So when I cast Cure, it poisons me or something?

Okay, so you're trying to nerf the damage curve. I can get on board with this.

Eidolons have multi-element? Why?

All physical and magical attacks inflict poison and darkness? Why?

All the base character names have been modified? Fucking why?

Every ability costs 255 AP to learn? What the actual fuck? Why? What purpose does this serve? This actively encourages grinding.

Reduced HP and MP I can agree with.

Okay, so here's the thing. Unless you found a way to change the type of value HP and MP are, you can't have doubled the HP of all enemies, and here's why. 65,535 is the max HP that an enemy can have, and there are a few bosses that already have that maxed. This is a maxed out 16-bit value, and unless you are able to change that datatype without fucking everything else up, this is literally not possible to do.

Look, it was not at all my intention to come here and shit on your work, but this is a mod that has come from a completely unfocused and scatter-brained vision. I would be shocked if you told me you actually tested this before releasing it and said you were pleased with the changes.

If you want to link to it here, that is fine, but this mod will not be hosted on NGPlus. While there are many reasons for this, three changes combined are enough to make this call. You've increased the exp curve immensely, lowered the amount of EXP and AP you get per battle, as well as made it so that you need 255 AP for every goddamn ability in the game. That is incredibly poor design. That's not fun, that's a pointless grind that makes no sense whatsoever.

You need to go back to the drawing board with this and figure out what exactly you want to make, and for the love of god, playtest it too.

I know some people might think I'm being too harsh, but sometimes you need to hear the truth, no matter how harsh it is. 

From the looks of it it looks like all you've done is change a bunch of things with no regard to what the effects of those changes would actually be. Most of the stuff just doesn't make sense.  

Like Kyrios said...you should have a goal in mind.  Interestingly enough, sometimes the less you change at first, the better.  It is much easier to use what the game already has as a baseline and build from there. Start with small tweaks to weapon power or defense across the board.  Although it depends on what kind of combat you are looking for.  Longer battles overall?  Easier random battles but a focus on longer, more challenging boss encounters?  Just a more balanced experience overall?  What i'm getting at is that it is really hard to tell what you are trying to do, all of these changes seem to be all over the place and don't make any sense from a design perspective, well any perspective really.  

I will say it seems like you have put some time into this so I would love to hear your thoughts.  I am always down to give my input as I have thought about these type of things a lot.  

To go off on a tangent...Kyrios talking about HP got me thinking about a good philosophy with regards to damage vs late game boss HP.  The biggest problem there is that many attacks can easily do close to 9999 damage, which would kill a boss in 7 hits.  This would lead to a problem of making boss battles at the end game hard to balance.  I'm not sure if you can code the AI or use any ASM for enemies to go past the 65535 HP limit, but for the sake of this discussion I will assume you cannot.

The best way to approach this from my perspective would be to balance endgame damage to be at least half as low.  Not saying there wouldn't be any way to do high damage, but otherwise it seems like it would be too easy to rush down bosses.  That being said, I have only played through FFIX once and that was a LONG time ago, so i'm not too familiar with the details on how the end game fleshed out in vanilla.  

Edited by Xontract