RazzTheKoopa

Version 9 beta download

9 posts in this topic

There's no downloads for SMRPG-A here following what happened on ID, so I figured I'd post my download of the Version 9 beta here.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/537vyntw077d3wl/Mario 9 Beta - Copy.zip

To keep with the rules of NG+, I have removed the .sfc rom file, the file now only contains the .ips patch and the emulators included with the original download.

Now, I should say, this is the Version 9 BETA. It's not complete, and there are a ton of bugs and glitches within it. And a couple things are uncompletable. I don't have the exact full list of what is, but I'm sure someone else might. If they could post it, that would be a major help.

Notes to Doomsday and DarkKefka: If you want me to delete this post for whatever reason, send me a message either here or on Discord and I'll do it. I'm only posting this here because there were no other version downloads here due to the issues that happened on ID.

It's also worth mentioning that there are some features in this version that are actually going to be cut from the final release, such as double-turns being removed since you could attack and defend on the same turn and was generally bad for balance.

As a whole, I'd say for someone wanting to play the hack for the first time they should stick with version 8 on the "easy" mode. (The hard mode should really be called "Kaizo mode" and the easy mode labeled as "Standard mode" so people don't get the wrong idea.)
And only to play this version if you want a bit of a sneak-peak at what's coming up in the new version, knowing ahead of time that there are parts of it that are broken and have to be fixed in an editor to get past them.

7 hours ago, A Dummy said:

It's also worth mentioning that there are some features in this version that are actually going to be cut from the final release, such as double-turns being removed since you could attack and defend on the same turn and was generally bad for balance.

Double turns will very much be in the final version.  However, items that provide double turns have been severely nerfed and you can no longer defend on the "second" turn.

Other than that, everything else said is basically correct.  Note that this is much closer to an alpha than a beta.

P.S. The other versions are in fact in the download section.

http://ngplus.net/index.php?/files/category/20-super-mario-rpg-armageddon/

Edited by Doomsday31415

Oh my mistake.
For some reason I thought I remembered seeing some discussion that concluded that the double turns were too difficult to really balance and were probably going to be removed, cool to hear that something was figured out for keeping them in though. (Late response is late.)
Maybe I was getting it confused with the Invulnerability effect being replaced with a damage resistance effect?

38 minutes ago, A Dummy said:

Maybe I was getting it confused with the Invulnerability effect being replaced with a damage resistance effect?

It's possible.  Invincibility has been replaced with 50% damage reduction and status protection.

On 9/23/2017 at 0:08 AM, Doomsday31415 said:

It's possible.  Invincibility has been replaced with 50% damage reduction and status protection.

Wouldn't it be kinda better to make most of the attacks in the game entirely timed block based, limit the usefulness or availability of items and adopt the damage reduction of timed blocks from v7?

3 hours ago, Darkcelestrian said:

Wouldn't it be kinda better to make most of the attacks in the game entirely timed block based, limit the usefulness or availability of items and adopt the damage reduction of timed blocks from v7?

Better by what standard?  Strategy is a major part of this game, and having attacks that are entirely predictable (i.e. not based on something that can't be known in advance like failiing to block) is part of that.

Also, I'm not familiar with v7's damage reduction.  Could you elaborate?

15 hours ago, Doomsday31415 said:

Better by what standard?  Strategy is a major part of this game, and having attacks that are entirely predictable (i.e. not based on something that can't be known in advance like failiing to block) is part of that.

Also, I'm not familiar with v7's damage reduction.  Could you elaborate?

It is more strategic, and more rewarding when you're able to block attacks rather then having to defend or buff then defend then heal afterwards. In v7 if you perfectly blocked an attack it would do 0 damage otherwise you'd take half the damage, it was broken with items like found illusions that automatically did timed blocks an attacks for you but if found illusions, victory toast, red essence, and pretty much all the other items that gave that and/or temp invincibility were removed then having that kind of damage reduction for being able to perfect block attacks after hours, days, or even weeks practicing on bosses would in my opinion add more challenge and satisfaction then just picking whichever boss that doesn't one shot you with a bunch of unblockable attacks that you need to just buff/defend from. Not saying that those attacks should be removed, but imagine if you timed a button press on say mysterious girl's meteor on whatever time each hit hits you and either halve (or reduce damage by only 25% if you don't perfect block it) or completely negate the whole thing if you're really good at blocking. Sort of like if you was fighting xion or jinx but with most if not all the enemies in the game and being punished way more if you don't get that blocking down. Idk it just sounds good and cool in my head but then again I also think there is way too much reliance on consumable items to carry most ppl through fights and at the end of the day it's suppose to be more of a difficulty increase for the game right?

Edited by Darkcelestrian

I do agree that Armageddon has a power creep where anything that doesn't kill you isn't really a threat.  That's not a result of the blocking, though.  That's because of how powerful, cheap, and plentiful healing is.  Any attempt to fix this power creep would have to make healing much harder.

As a side note, attacks that are capable of hitting multiple targets can't be blocked for technical reasons.