Boss

Hacking Pokemon Insurgence?

5 posts in this topic

I don't follow the Pokemon hacking scene very closely, but Kyrios's delta armour run topic on these forums peaked my interest, since I never played anything like this before, and the new formes of old Pokemon couldn't be more intriguing to do stuff with.

Whenever I can, I like doing 0 experience runs in Pokemon games. Have a YouTube playlist to see what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbSv8zSDR9c1yFi5pg4zf5yWnbidDTm_l 

Basically, with the help of a few simple edits (mostly routinely editing a ROM to change every base exp value to 0, sometimes a cheat code, gen 5 has its AP ROMs that make neither necessary), I prevent my mons from ever getting experience. I need to catch new ones not to be destroyed in battles all the times, and it results in some fun strategies at times without being excessively difficult most of the time. 

In the past, I've done a 0 experience run in a GBA hack - Drayano's Fire Red Omega (and also Touhoumon lol). However, Insurgence isn't actually a romhack, since it's made with RPG Maker (could be wrong) and is launched as a program on your PC. I tried getting a response to this straight from the horse's mouth by PMing suzerain on reddit, but he either never read the message or didn't care enough to reply. 

The question is, can we somehow hack Insurgence to prevent all experience from the game? I figured the people posting here are equipped with the knowledge to answer this question. It seems like an incredibly fun hack to do a 0 exp run in. 

So I've been doing a little research on this, on my own as I haven't been able to get any help from anyone else, and it looks like I may have found something. 

Apparently people have been hacking / cheating in this game using a program called Cheat Engine, which I downloaded but whose workings elude me as of yet (I have no familiarity with hacking at all, and whatever progress I'd made in the past was due to very simplistic deductions). 

There are topics like this showing how Insurgence can be hacked. Nothing on exp editing however. 

However, entering "pokemon insurgence cheat engine" into Google does bring up "exp" as the first prompt. I tried going with that, but to no avail. 

There are a lot of YouTube videos on the relation between CE and Insurgence, but they don't seem even vaguely related to what I'm trying to do. The people seem to always "scan" for something using the program, apparently to hack a Pokemon or some missing item in. What I want to accomplish is every battle ending without exp gain, which would probably require different actions in the program (provided it works?). Not like I'm even sure how the scanning thing works to begin with. 

I have a good feeling Cheat Engine could well be the answer I want here. I've previously used CEP, a cheating program that let me start 0 exp runs in PSX games - FF Tactics, Breath of Fire 3 and 4. CEP doesn't detect Insurgence being opened at all, but CE surely does; I just don't know what to do with it. 

Does anybody here have any prior familiarity with Cheat Engine? I have a hunch that a seasoned hacker could easily get it work in no time at all. 

Just ended up deleting Cheat Engine after various programs identified it as a potentially unwanted program. Not sure if that's a false alarm, but better not take any risks. Not like I was capable of doing much with it. 

I guess that's the end of my little adventure trying to set up a 0 exp playthrough in Insurgence... I suppose a no exp mode being added in a later patch would be the only way to go about it. 

Welp. 

I can tell you right now that a Hard mode playthrough with 0exp is literally impossible without extreme amounts of RNG fuckery.

Literally or merely "literally"? I'd love to prove you wrong, but it doesn't look like the tools to make the run possible exist yet (if at all). I've done a 0 exp run in Drayano's Fire Red Omega before (granted, the two are pretty damn different but I had a rule that demanded I play on Set battle style, so that ought to account for something). 

It seemed to me that the wild Pokemon levels & representation are adequate to the challenges on the way? I'm curious what you see the roadblock for a 0 exp playthrough would be.